Look for gold for Cohen and Belbin/Agosto! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Look for gold for Cohen and Belbin/Agosto!

Dibs

Rinkside
I need to go back and rewatch my tape of the 2004 Olympics, but I seem to remember that Khorkina was also overscored on beam. She made two bobbles in jumps on the beam (something the judges were seriously downgrading scores for that night) and then had a weak landing and still received a decent score when other gymnast were being massacred for lesser mistakes. She was underscored on her vault but I assumed the generous marks on the beam and the bars evened out the overall score. While Carly did have a weak vault and not so great landing, the rest of the competition she was spot on. IMO she was the clear winner, but of course gymnastics is a subjective sport.

In Paul Hamm's case, I'm not sure he truly deserved that gold, but going in to the competition he was the All Around World Champion. Had he not screwed up his vault so badly he would have won fair and square. But he didn't so it will go down in history with all the other many many questionable finishes at World Championships and Olympics.

shadymc

Rinkside
Khorkina's coach stated after the games that she desperately needed to up her difficulty and he tried to get her to do just that, and she flatly refused. This is what cost her the OGM.

Kasey

Medalist
shadymc said:
Khorkina's coach stated after the games that she desperately needed to up her difficulty and he tried to get her to do just that, and she flatly refused. This is what cost her the OGM.

But, wait...wouldn't that be....DIVA-like behavior??? From Khorkina? NEVER! :rofl:

Slutskayafan21 has a personal gripe with Lysacek....Apparantly that evil Evan ran over Sluty-fan's dog.....multiple times.....and maybe picked on him on the playground as well. Never mind the fact that Evan had one of the few perfect programs of the evening, in terms of what he was planning and what he actually accomplished. Nit-pick the 3axels all you want...they were landed and not downgraded.

As for OVERMARKED...yeah, let's take a look at Plushy's LP for a sec.....doubled flip.....tentative spins.....no transitions.....limited choreography but for the step sequences....and he scores a personal best, which of course, is also the highest score in the history of CoP. The boy scored higher on TRANSITIONS than Matt Savoie. That one egregious error in itself is enough to laugh off the whole "personal best" score as blatant over-marking, or at least, if you have a brain.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Maybe for his exhibition Evgeny will skate to "Razzle dazzle'em" from Chicago?:chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Maybe for his exhibition Evgeny will skate to "Razzle dazzle'em" from Chicago?:chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

:rofl: :rock: :rofl:

I can't believe y'all remember so much from the summer olympics... i can barely remember what I wore to work yesterday.... very impressive! :laugh:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I've officially banned myself from any of slutskayafan's threads. Because they are ALL bout Evan, and what a HORRIBLE skater he is. Why you feel 465484846845645645132123 posts saying the SAME THING are necessary, I don't know, but I'm just going to stop reading them.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I've officially banned myself from any of slutskayafan's threads. Because they are ALL bout Evan, and what a HORRIBLE skater he is. Why you feel 465484846845645645132123 posts saying the SAME THING are necessary, I don't know, but I'm just going to stop reading them.

Yeah, but ya gotta read the whole thing... We get it, he doesn't like Evan. But put those statements aside and you get a new & improved perspective on a lot of aspects of skating, the pros & cons with the new system and some flat-out enjoyable comments... That's the difference between a knowledgable poster with a different opinion than the popular one & a troll...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
rob43 said:
Slutefan- Carly may not always please the eye but her win was pretty decisive. She had a clear adavantage in start values. (Partly because Khorkina lost some bonus.) That is why Patterson won- 2 clean routines with 10 start value and two routines that were not great but started at 9.8 and 9.9.

Actually Chorkina had a 9.9 SV on vault, a 10 on bars, a 9.9 on beam, and a 10 on floor(unless she did not get credit for her triple turn, in which case was wrong since it was fully rotated even if a bit shaky), so Chorkina was just as strong as Carly in SVs, even if she did it with less excessively difficult material than Carly, she worked the system well.

I understand thinking she isn't artistic or lacks great lines- but she had the start values the other women didn't and that won it for her. To be honest if Courtney Kupets had not been injured she might have beat both based on her ability to turn in clean perfromances but she too lacked about .2 of Patterson's total start values.

I dont know what makes you think it is rare for a top female gymnast to have alot of 10 SVs, most do. Anyway I admitted it was as big a controversy as the mens, but it should have been closer than it was is all. You said nothing regarding my ponts on Chorkina's vault score and floor score. Chorkina's vault was .1 SV higher and much better performed than Carly's so SV cant be used as reason for Carly getting a score only around .1 lower on vault

And Hamm deserves his Gold- if anyone was gifted it was the second place finisher who actually should have lost SV but the judges didn't notice.

You can think that but enough people dont feel that that he hasnt been seen competiting since and was revealed on NBC to be telling alot of American associates of his "the whole world is coming down on me". His p-bars and high bar were not worth 9.8+, and his vault should been below a 9. When he won silver on high bar later the crowd jeered to death, almost as long as Nemov's low score earlier. Obviously I am not the only one who thinks he is highly overscored, and his successes in Athens were somewhat phony for what he did.

Oh- and the Greek guy winning in EF was also a travesty. As was Pavlova finishing 4th in the AA- she should have won 3rd.

I agree here. Jovchtev was robbed on rings, and Pavlova should have medaled in the all around.

Evan's scores reflected both his great skate and how sloppy everyone else became.

This is not true since he skated before the others.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Because Cohen is much nicer to watch skate and FS should be pretty, with IS it is not. Take Mathman's critique of Plushy's LP and add Beilmann Spin and Bielmann hold with much less flow out of jumps and there ya go.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Piel said:
Because Cohen is much nicer to watch skate and FS should be pretty, with IS it is not. Take Mathman's critique of Plushy's LP and add Beilmann Spin and Bielmann hold with much less flow out of jumps and there ya go.

I thought as a Kwaniac you were anti-Cohen. :rofl:

Lanie

On the Ice
Piel said:
Kind of like Slutskaya:biggrin: ?

:thumbsup: Agreed there.

Of course, conspiracy theories are fun. ;) I think Evgeny certainly deserved to win, and I'm a fan - but not with those high scores! I think even he was kind of puzzled by it. Of course Matt Savoie and Evan were :love: and made the competition worth watching!

If Sasha wins of course I will be happy...but not if she wins unfairly! Which is what'll happen to Irina, I'm sure: mediocre skates, and she wins and not convincingly (unlike IMO Plush who was mediocre but sure is in a class by himself!).

Now my big conspiracy theory would be this: Kerrs :love: win dance! ;)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I thought as a Kwaniac you were anti-Cohen. :rofl:
Not anti Cohen but pro Kwan. Just don't think Cohen is perfect all of the time. She sticks her foot in her mouth just like the rest of us, just looks better doing it. I'm cheering for Fumie and Silvia.

sk8addict

On the Ice
transitions?

Tonichelle said:
:sheesh: EVAN was overscored... how about: try Evgeny... :sheesh:

and the sour grapes keep coming 'round :laugh:
Lets see...Evan had 26 transitions in his long program......where was the Plulhs's transition? Oh yea...during the rest.

tarotx

On the Ice
Piel said:
Not anti Cohen but pro Kwan. Just don't think Cohen is perfect all of the time. She sticks her foot in her mouth just like the rest of us, just looks better doing it. I'm cheering for Fumie and Silvia.

I think if Michelle never existed (Thank god she did for other reasons then what I'm discussing :bow: ) Sasha would be thought of as just a regular skater because she's never really had foot in the mouth disease although I think Sasha could actually put her foot in her mouth;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Evan does not deserve PCS scores anywhere near Buttle, Lambiel, Takahashi, or Weir and the fact he gets them shows how ridiculously overscored he was in these Olympics. Like I said I am sure NBC cooked something up to give him an extra 0.5-0.6 on his PCS scores, and an extra +1 GOE on all of his elements. Some of you suggesting he deserves better PCS scores than the great Plushenko is beyond crazy.