What Johnny W. told our local sports guy | Golden Skate

What Johnny W. told our local sports guy

Jane2

Rinkside
I just watched to noon news here in Indiana.
Our local sports guy is in Torino & he had a short interview with Johnny.
He told Scott Swan (sports guy for our local NBC station here in Indianapolis)
that he was off because of a transportation mix-up..something about a bus.
He said he then felt like he was playing catch-up all night & he didn't have
time to get himself 'cozy'.

After the interview played, Scott Swan said, "Johnny did tell me that he'd
*definately* be at the next olympics, 4 years from now."

I thought, 'Oh really?' lol
Jane

FreeKatie

On the Ice
There is an article about this in one of the threads, it was quite amusing - he was too busy fussing with his sequins and forgot to check the bus schedule.. or something.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jane2 said:
After the interview played, Scott Swan said, "Johnny did tell me that he'd
*definately* be at the next olympics, 4 years from now." I thought, 'Oh really?' lol
Jane
I want to preface this by saying I really, really like Johnny (said this so no one thinks I'm bashing him.) If he stays in the competitive field, I hope he matures and learns by this Olympics how much he lost. I, for one, was very disappointed in him.

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
So that's good, we have Plushen stay, Johnny stay.
What about Lambial and Buttler? I suppose Buttler will go?

If only now Matt stay for another couple of years.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I want to preface this by saying I really, really like Johnny (said this so no one thinks I'm bashing him.) If he stays in the competitive field, I hope he matures and learns by this Olympics how much he lost. I, for one, was very disappointed in him.

Dee

Disappointed how? In him or for him?

K-Mo

On the Ice
I think Johnny does know waht he lost. He said he was upset with himself. I don't think he was shifting the blame, but rather listing the factors that he let get to him. I think it was a combination of little things that added up to Johnny losing steam. But the rest of the men's field was not much better--I guess misery loves company.

tarotx

On the Ice
I actually think Johnny had one of his best long programs of the year. He needs to go home and work on getting his program down and knowing the elements he will put into it. He's only 21 so I'm glad he's saying.

S

SkateFan4Life

I read that Johnny Weir said he did not have the time to prepare mentally for his long program, since he arrived at the rink late after missing his bus. He said (to paraphase) "I couldn't get comfortable. I felt blackness inside of me".

I hope he shakes off any disappointment in not medaling and proceeds on with his eligible skating career - at least through Vancouver.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny went shopping that afternoon and assumed that the bus would be on its normal schedule, every half hour. But the schedule was changed, and he didn't know about it.

He later said that missing the bus was no excuse, that he had not skated well and did not deserve a medal. I hope this experience will motivate him to practice his program with all the jumps and combinations, including the quad, until he could do it in his sleep. Let him go to Calgary and have the skate of his life (up to now) so he can end the season on a high note and on the podium at Worlds.