View Poll Results: Most overscored program so far in Turino?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obertas/Slavnov's long program in pairs

10 3.58%
  • Zhang/Zhang's long program in pairs

80 28.67%
  • Lysacek's long program in mens

25 8.96%
  • Joubert's short program in mens

9 3.23%
  • Plushenko's short program in mens

120 43.01%
  • Other, feel free to identify

35 12.54%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most ridiculously overscored program so far in Turino?

Tripping on the Podium
    I voted for Zhang/Zhang.
    I thought it was great how they came back after that fall, but come on.....

Rinkside
    The Zhangs. I couldn't believe they still landed Silver after falling. It was great but Silver?

Custom Title
    The Zhangs were given a silver just for finishing the program. It was ridiculous that no penalty was assessed for their time off. Their PCS were ridiculously high for a pair that has almost no basic skating skills.

Vash

Banned
    The Zhangs actually had their highest PCS scores of the year, in the long program in Turin. It was an embarassment when it was clearly their worst performance of the year. I admire their courage(unless there was something mysterious going on, but I dont want to get into that), but that should not equate to an unwarranted medal. I felt sorry for the other two Chinese pairs, especialy Pang/Tong, who are binded from letting their true feelings probably be known, since it is an internal thing, all being from China.

I also did not understand Plushenko's 90 in the short program, an 85-87 would have been more reasonable.

On the Ice
    i remember on Olympic Ice how Sale and Pelletier were analyzing the men's short, and Sale esp was saying how she's just not convinced of Plushenko's skating or something to that effect. Scott Hamilton was like, well he knows how to work the system and gives the judges what they want. to me i was just scratching my head. plushenko, esp. in the LP, just did stroking from 1 jump to another in the beginning. the program was entirely frontloaded. there was just a lot of posing, without REAL in betweens. his spins weren't terribly great.

Go NJ Devils
    I voted other, because as much as I admired Plushenko's LP performance, six jumps in a row is just not good choreography, and it was not his strongest PCS performance of the year. It was a tough call between that and O/S's LP.

I didn't vote for Zhang/Zhang, because I think they should not have been allowed to continue. The referee should have started the two-minute count from the beginning, instead of waiting several minutes to start the countdown. At the end of two minutes, Dan Zhang could not even stand up straight, let alone skate the rest of the LP.

Rinkside

Thumbs down

Sasha's Cohen SP & LP & Zhangs.
    and F\M's CD
    Last edited by Ilona; 11-02-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Rinkside
    They may have been mentioned already but for me, it was the OD and FD of Grushina & Goncharov. For both the OD & FD, I would've placed them outside of the top 5. I find their edge quality to be mediocre, their expression to be nothing special, and their programs to be uninspiring. Perhaps what bugs me the most about them is how slow and sluggish they are.

For me,both Plushenko's programs were a bore because he did not put any of his usual salesmanship into them. Given the Cop and his jumping skills, plus his reputation, he had to be way above the others. His rival, Joubert, was certainly not going to even be close.

It'll be interesting if pops in during the next 4 years.

Joe

Banned
    In the arms of my beloved Richard Kruspe.

Thumbs down

I believe Plushenko's programs.. both the short and the long were grossly overmarked.. I was disgusted at the overall results..

Custom Title
    Plushenko and Lysacek had the only clean FSs and deserved the marks they got.

FP/M were outrageously overmarked in all phases of the competition. Maurizio simply was not capable of executing the OD and FS. His twizzles were frequently on two feet, so how they could place in the top 10 is beyond me (even overlooking the fall).

I have to add Carolina Kostner to the list. Both her SP and FS were vastly overscored, just because she was Italian and skating in Italy. Her performances were painful to watch.

Obertas/Slavnov always get a few points extra in each program for SWR (skating while Russian). Zagorska/Siudek should have placed above them, and that is NOT fair.

Banned
    It looks like it is a Plushenko short program vs Zhang/Zhang long program battle, and is still going strong. Plushenko's PCS scores are a joke, and Zhang/Zhang's scores for their long-interrupted free skate were shocking. If the 3rd and 4th place finishers were not Chinese there would have been a much larger outcry then there was. Since they were all Chinese it was merely an internal situation though.

I agree with those who say Fusar Poli/Margalio and Kostner were both overscored, but being in Italy I expected that personally(
    although I NEVER expected Fusar Poli/Margalio to win the compulsory dance).
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 06-13-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Rinkside
    For both programs, Plushenko earned every point he got in the technical elements, but he was definitely grossly overmarked in the program component scores. IHMO he's usually a great showman, but for the Olys he just phoned it in. He just showed up to skate clean and collect his gold medal. Both the judges and the press had already given him the title, so why do more than that? The judges wanted to make sure he won no matter how well the rest of the field skated. It turned out to be totally unnecessary - he just had to be 0.01 point ahead of Stéphane to win, not 27!

Aw, now you've got me fired up about this again....

Banned
    Every skating magazine I have read said the same thing. Clearly with how Plushenko skated in Turin, and how the others skated, he clearly deserved the gold medal, but alot of his scores, especialy the PCS scores, especialy in the areas of transitions, choreography, and even interpretation were outrageously high. Almost nobody seems to agree with them. Most skating magazines also said the same thing, they wanted to make sure nobody what anybody did, and even if Plushenko had some rare falls or such in the long program perhaps, that he was ensured to win.

I have the feeling that Zhang's were overscored. Even if that fall and the skating after it was a touching moment for me.
    Other programs may have been overscored (Cohen's maybe) but talking about "ridiculously overscored program" my vote's for the Zhang's.

And.. it's TORINO not TURINO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast