Most ridiculously overscored program so far in Turino? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most ridiculously overscored program so far in Turino?

Most overscored program so far in Turino?

• Obertas/Slavnov's long program in pairs

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Zhang/Zhang's long program in pairs

Votes: 80 28.7%
  • Lysacek's long program in mens

Votes: 25 9.0%
  • Joubert's short program in mens

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Plushenko's short program in mens

Votes: 120 43.0%
  • Other, feel free to identify

Votes: 35 12.5%

• Total voters

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko and Lysacek had the only clean FSs and deserved the marks they got.

FP/M were outrageously overmarked in all phases of the competition. Maurizio simply was not capable of executing the OD and FS. His twizzles were frequently on two feet, so how they could place in the top 10 is beyond me (even overlooking the fall).

I have to add Carolina Kostner to the list. Both her SP and FS were vastly overscored, just because she was Italian and skating in Italy. Her performances were painful to watch.

Obertas/Slavnov always get a few points extra in each program for SWR (skating while Russian). Zagorska/Siudek should have placed above them, and that is NOT fair.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It looks like it is a Plushenko short program vs Zhang/Zhang long program battle, and is still going strong. Plushenko's PCS scores are a joke, and Zhang/Zhang's scores for their long-interrupted free skate were shocking. If the 3rd and 4th place finishers were not Chinese there would have been a much larger outcry then there was. Since they were all Chinese it was merely an internal situation though.

I agree with those who say Fusar Poli/Margalio and Kostner were both overscored, but being in Italy I expected that personally(
although I NEVER expected Fusar Poli/Margalio to win the compulsory dance).

Last edited:

swissmiss

Rinkside
For both programs, Plushenko earned every point he got in the technical elements, but he was definitely grossly overmarked in the program component scores. IHMO he's usually a great showman, but for the Olys he just phoned it in. He just showed up to skate clean and collect his gold medal. Both the judges and the press had already given him the title, so why do more than that? The judges wanted to make sure he won no matter how well the rest of the field skated. It turned out to be totally unnecessary - he just had to be 0.01 point ahead of Stéphane to win, not 27!

Aw, now you've got me fired up about this again.... :laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Every skating magazine I have read said the same thing. Clearly with how Plushenko skated in Turin, and how the others skated, he clearly deserved the gold medal, but alot of his scores, especialy the PCS scores, especialy in the areas of transitions, choreography, and even interpretation were outrageously high. Almost nobody seems to agree with them. Most skating magazines also said the same thing, they wanted to make sure nobody what anybody did, and even if Plushenko had some rare falls or such in the long program perhaps, that he was ensured to win.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I have the feeling that Zhang's were overscored. Even if that fall and the skating after it was a touching moment for me.
Other programs may have been overscored (Cohen's maybe) but talking about "ridiculously overscored program" my vote's for the Zhang's.

And.. it's TORINO not TURINO. :)

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
I would have to say Zhang/Zhag LP and both of Plushy short and long program.
He pretty much front loaded his LP and did all jumps at the beginning and there's really no choreography. The movements didn't make sense. It was his worst LP ever.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
:biggrin: I would say the option Zhang/Zhang. And how dare everyone say Zheniya (Plushenko) was overscored?! I think he definetly earned all the marks he got. He had two outstanding performances and the judges couldn't "overscore" them.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The Zhangs were leading for so long, but it looks like the Plushenko short program has overtaken now. I cant really say I felt his long program was overscored though since Buttle and Lambiel would have also scored in the high 160s had they landed all their jumps too. That is why I did not include it as an option, even though some people criticized me for not putting it as well.

I voted for the Zhangs though, their silver medal was a big time crock.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Plushenko's LP was overmarked, but he deserved to win, so I don't really care in the end.

JEFF BUTTLE definitely gets my vote for both the short and long programs. He fell in both performances, made numerous other mistakes, and didn't even skate with much passion or inspiration.

mimosa

Spectator
The programs of Navka/Kostomarov - as always, Grushina/Goncharov and Fusar Poli/Margaglio - CD.:disagree:

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I did not see Obertas/Slavnov's long program. The Zhangs were much overscored in the long, but the judges should not have had to punch in scores since they did not deserve to get to come back and continue to skate anyway. They were brave but dumb rules that that is allowed. Lysacek has scored close to his Olympic PB twice since so his score was ok I guess. Joubert's short was not that overscored, Lambiel had a bigger mistake then him and another small mistake and was over him.

Plushenko's short program score was a ludricious piece of nonsense, and his long program score was much too high as well, but the others did so bad in landing enough of their key jumps, that he deserved to win anyway so it does not matter too much. The judges just wanted to make sure he would win even if somebody else was brilliant, and probably even if he had mistakes, they were out to make sure no matter what they would win pairs and mens and the scores showed this. The dance and ladies they scored more openly, giving more reasonable scores to their skaters and making them go in having to 100% earn their golds unlike the way Totmianina and Marinin, and Plushenko, went into their events in the judges eyes. Totmianina/Marinin had to put it all together to win without the pre-event judges cushion the leading Russina pairs and mens had, and they did. Slutskaya went in with the same "earn it 100%" situtation as Totmianin/Marinin and could not, I guess they chose to wrong events to give the pre-event cushioned scoring too as she was the one who would have needed it most in retrospect.