Dance, Round 1 - Compulsory Dance | Golden Skate

Dance, Round 1 - Compulsory Dance

JOHIO2

Medalist
Since noone started a thread, here it is. First round of dance has started this afternoon.

Starting Number Name NOC Code
Warm-Up Group No. 1
1 GREBENKINA Anastasia / AZROJAN Vazgen Armenia ARM
2 DROBIAZKO Margarita / VANAGAS Povilas Lithuania LTU
3 SILVERSTEIN Jamie / O'MEARA Ryan United States USA
4 GREGORY Melissa / PETUKHOV Denis United States USA
Warm-Up Group No. 2
5 FRASER Kristin / LUKANIN Igor Azerbaijan AZE
6 DOMNINA Oksana / SHABALIN Maxim Russian Fed. RUS
7 KAUC Alexandra / ZYCH Michal Poland POL
8 WATANABE Nozomi / KIDO Akiyuki Japan JPN
9 GRUSHINA Elena / GONCHAROV Ruslan Ukraine UKR
Resurfacing of the Ice
Warm-Up Group No. 3
10 FAIELLA Federica / SCALI Massimo Italy ITA
11 NAVKA Tatiana / KOSTOMAROV Roman Russian Fed. RUS
12 BELBIN Tanith / AGOSTO Benjamin United States USA
13 KHOKHLOVA Jana / NOVITSKI Sergei Russian Fed. RUS
14 ZARETSKI Alexandra / ZARETSKI Roman Israel ISR
Warm-Up Group No. 4
15 GOLOVINA Julia / VOIKO Oleg Ukraine UKR
16 DENKOVA Albena / STAVISKI Maxim Bulgaria BUL
17 WING Megan / LOWE Aaron Canada CAN
18 KERR Sinead / KERR John Great Britain GBR
19 FUSAR POLI Barbara / MARGAGLIO Maurizio Italy ITA
Resurfacing of the Ice
Warm-Up Group No. 5
20 DUBREUIL Marie-France / LAUZON Patrice Canada CAN
21 DELOBEL Isabelle / SCHOENFELDER Olivier France FRA
22 CHAIT Galit / SAKHNOVSKI Sergei Israel ISR
23 HOFFMANN Nora / ELEK Attila Hungary HUN
24 PECHALAT Nathalie / BOURZAT Fabian France FRA

JOHIO2

Medalist
Results after first two warm-up groups:

1 UKR Grushina / Goncharov 18.12 19.27 0.00 37.39
2 LTU Drobiazko / Vanagas 17.13 18.10 0.00 35.23
3 RUS Domnina / Shabalin 17.06 16.31 0.00 33.37
4 USA Gregory / Petukhov 15.67 14.84 0.00 30.51
5 JPN Watanabe / Kido 14.71 13.24 0.00 27.95
6 USA Silverstein / O'Meara 14.76 12.77 0.00 27.53
7 AZE Fraser / Lukanin 13.84 13.43 0.00 27.27
8 POL Kauc / Zych 13.75 11.18 0.00 24.93
9 ARM Grebenkina / Azrojan 12.75 11.53 0.00 24.28

JOHIO2

Medalist
Compulsory dance is the Ravensburger Waltz. For what that's worth, to the rest of us.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
N/K into first...but their scores are lower than that given to Tan&Ben at 4ccs.

Tan&Ben skating now. This is it - 'zero hour'!!!!! Bless them!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
crap....Tan&Ben 3rd. Hopefully will stay there, this segment, then move up in OD.

Lots of faves yet to skate....Denkova/Stav, Fusar-Poli/Marg, Dubreuil/Lauz, Delobel/Schoen, and Chait/Sakhnov.

I hope that Tan&Ben stay in 3rd for today, then move up later.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kirkbiggestfan said:
The French/Italian/Bulgarian/Canadian/Israeli could all pass Tanith and Ben!

I hope not -- I think not -- but I won't rest easily until the last one among those has posted their scores & I still see Tan&Ben in the #3 spot.

To me, the huge 'unknown' -- the 'kicker,' if you will -- is the team of F-P/M...you know, the hometown thing...and the Speedy Factor. My only nightmares have been about F-P/M being placed above the Americans. Awwww...but that just can't happen!!!!!

p.s. - At least we know that Tan/Ben are being considered above the Lithuanians...who are wonderful, as we all know.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Kirkbiggestfan said:
Bulgarians in 2nd..let the ben&tanith drop start!

It's my understanding that Tanith and Ben are usually "behind" or at thier "worst" in the comp dance - est. with this one...anyone recall this?

Also, only .29 seperates 4th (Tanith and Ben) and 2nd...that's just one judges pure personal opinion or lack of a toe-point or the smoothness of a lift letdown - nothing to sneeze about or really worry about (although I've not yet seen it):thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm disapointed they're not in 2nd, but with such a small number seperating 2-4 and the likelihood that 2-6 will be less and 1 point, its going to be a fierce comp. and the placements for the next 2 dances could change alot.

Okay...so, I'm trying to convince myself that Tanith and Ben are still a great shot at Silver....somehow I don't feel I'm too convinceing....:cool:

Darby

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Oh dear. Tanith and Ben are fourth now with the Italians still to skate. Could even the Canadians best them?

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Hmmm...Surprised to see 3rd Russian team, the 2nd Italian team, the UK team in frong to Petukov and wife...hmmm...Wonder what that is about...can anyone say if the second US team skated poorly?

Also, granted Silverstein and O'Meara earned their spot based on thier skate at US Nats, anyone wonder if the US 4th place team (ah, can't remember names...she'd got short blond hair and he's Russian) would hve placed higher???

This is going to be a good night to watch...

Darby

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Kirkbiggestfan said:
Viva Italia! So good to skate at home! :laugh:

There is no doubt that Italy will get a medal and maybe the gold!

WHAT!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS ARGH!!!!!:banging: :banging: :banging: HOw are the Italians in 1st...are they REALLY that good? I don't remember them being "that" good...argh...sigh....

Here's to Tanith and Ben getting a good nights rest and a rocking OD....

rain

Record Breaker
This is my worst freakin nightmare....the Italiens in first. They were only a so-so team when they won worlds years ago. This season they've carefully avoided competing against anybody who matters until they get to home court. What a nightmare.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
rain said:
This is my worst freakin nightmare....the Italiens in first. They were only a so-so team when they won worlds years ago. This season they've carefully avoided competing against anybody who matters until they get to home court. What a nightmare.

Rain, I totally agree. I'm normaly not at all into this political gamesmanship thing, but I wonderd why thy they stayed off the GP circut and from Euros....It really irritates me when teams "retire" (formally or not) and then come back for "one last shot"....grrr

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
Murielle Zazoui is known to be an amazing Waltz teacher. It is like her favorite dance. I am curious to see how her 2 teams will do.

Eowyn

Rinkside
I cannot BELIEVE the Italians are in first. Who's paying the judges off THIS year?

*sigh* I dearly hope Tanith and Ben have a rockin' OD.......and are rewarded for it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
dwiggin3 said:
Also, granted Silverstein and O'Meara earned their spot based on thier skate at US Nats, anyone wonder if the US 4th place team (ah, can't remember names...she'd got short blond hair and he's Russian) would hve placed higher???
Yes, Matthews & Zavozin are a much better team. Based on the 4CC results, I bet almost any other federation in the world would have sent them.

Anyway, good luck to Jamie & Ryan in OD!

dwiggin3 said:
WHAT!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS ARGH!!!!!:banging: :banging: :banging: HOw are the Italians in 1st...are they REALLY that good? I don't remember them being "that" good...argh...sigh....
Really weird. Compulsories require the precision that Maurizio NEVER had!

Here's to Tanith and Ben getting a good nights rest and a rocking OD....
Of course, such a low placement for them is very upsetting. However, I wouldn't worry yet. They just aren't very strong in compulsories; I think that largely comes with experience, and by Vancouver they'll just be the best compulsory dancers out there.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
NOW YOU GUYS SEE WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT REGARDING COUNTRIES AND OFFICIALS PAYING OFF JUDGES! IF LYSACEK'S RIDICULOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES, AND EVEN ZHANG/ZHANG'S OUTRAGEOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES DID NOT PROVE IT, THIS CERTAINLY SHOULD. THIS OLYMPICS IS ALL ABOUT DEALMAKING OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THE ITALIANS COULD HAVE HAD THE BEST CDS, I AM SORRY. Awww, now I am calmed down. This is almost too funny to be upsetting, I had to laugh at this.