U.S. snowboardcross athlete shows off before finish line and falls | Golden Skate

U.S. snowboardcross athlete shows off before finish line and falls

IndieBoi

On the Ice
BARDONECCHIA, Italy (AP) -- Lindsey Jacobellis had the Olympic women's snowboardcross won, and then -- incredibly, inexcusably -- she made one last move on the next-to-last jump and fell.

She lost.

Snowboarding is about style, though, so Jacobellis decided to show off for the fans in front of the grandstand near the end of her ride. But after she landed from her grab, she caught an edge, then went tumbling outside the blue line. When she recovered, she trailed Frieden over the finish line, then put her hands on her knees and held her palms up.

Jacobellis insisted she wasn't showing off.

"When you grab in boardercross you're trying to get back on the ground as fast as possible," she said. "You try to be stable in the air."

U.S. coach Peter Foley fell onto the ground in disbelief.

He said Jacobellis has always had a tendency to grab her board for stability, but after looking at a frame-by-frame breakdown of the jump shot by Associated Press photos, he conceded Jacobellis probably had gone over the top.

"She definitely styled that a little too hard," he said.

Foley wasn't alone.

"Sometimes it's subconscious, but that was putting on a show," said American Seth Wescott, the men's champion from the day before. "It's one of those things. I did it in my early rides yesterday but you've got to choose your time and make sure you don't miss."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/02/17/bc.oly.sno.women.ssnowb.ap/index.html

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Not USA's day today..

Anyone knows what happend to tha canadian, that was quite a nasty fall, and she was still lying down when they ended the broadcast...anyone know if it was serious?

IndieBoi

On the Ice
I almost felt bad for her, but I don't. An olympic level competitor should know MUCH better than that in any round -- let alone the final/ medal round.

She could've shown off all she wanted from the top of the podium, but nope, that wasn't soon enough.

Anyway, this is a cool sport making it's debut at these games. It is very exciting to watch.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It's a fantastic sport to watch........I've enjoyed it the most next to figure skating. I just watched an interview between Bob Costa and Lindsey and she handled herself very well saying it's okay, she's glad she got any medal........but the eyes never lie. She looks like she's in shock and she probably is........once again a big deal as to what color the medal is.......:p 42

Mathman said:
Anyway, this is a cool sport making it's debut at these games. It is very exciting to watch.

I was all prepared to hate her till I watched tonight. C'mon, she's 20 years old -- young from where I am. Replace "showing off" with "celebrating" and it feels a lot different.

I thought NBC was way over the top in how they treated her and how she kept from telling Bob C. where to go during that interview, I will never know. She went way up in my book just by keeping it together.

:frown:

Johar

Medalist
That one girl who fell early in that Final landed really hard when she crashed and had to be evacuated by medics. I hope she is okay without any spinal trauma.

Another girl went through the net.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
But one of them at least finished, I thought the one who went through the net was the one still lying, but obviously she finished third then..good for her.

soogar

Record Breaker
I was laughing at that stupid idiot when she fell on her a$$ celebrating. My thought was that it served her right for trying to be an "ugly Amercan". It was so funny when that Swiss snowboarder crossed the line first and her bf , the male OGM in snowboarding and everyone else was flanking her while for a good few seconds, no one was coming up to the that American girl. I hate obnoxious displays of victory before the race is even over. Then I had to watch her squirm and try to pull a Michelle to Bob Costas. No, you knew you were far ahead and was trying to show off. Don't play like you didn't know how far ahead you were b/c the camera caught you looking behind and Costas called her on that!!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I thought that was just too damn funny, especially at the medal ceremony when the Swiss girl who won was jumping up and down celebrating, as if to say, Yeah, THIS is when you're supposed to do it, ya stupid *****....

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hopefully the other athletes will take her as an example that it's not over till it's OVER.

ATW27

On the Ice
One thing I hope doesn't happen is for the media to keep beating this story into the ground (which they probably will do). Jacobelis knows what she did, and what happened as a result. And I think that situation and memories will play out in her mind probably for the rest of her life; the constant "What ifs?" She has to live with it. The last thing she needs is the press rubbing salt into the wound. And I don't think anyone needs that.
I will say this - to me, I don't think she was so much showboating and saying "Yeah! Look at me! I'm So Awesome! Wu-hoo!"; more like she saw that finish line, got a little too excited, and had a lapse in concentration. Was it foolish? Yes, and it cost her dearly. But she'll learn from her mistake (the hard way), and know better next time. And there will be a next time, I'm sure.

Andy W.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I was laughing at that stupid idiot when she fell on her a$$ celebrating.
I don't know where you get off calling someone a stupid idiot. This was just a young girl getting way too excited about winning a Olympic gold medal. Here is a quote from her, "I was really excited. I was ahead of the pack and definitely got caught up in the moment....I was having so much fun and was so excited, I didn't even think twice that I shouldn't do that."
My thought was that it served her right for trying to be an "ugly Amercan".
So what does that mean? That if you are a American and you show off that you are ugly? Should all the American athletes just walk around and compete with no emotions, would that make you a "pretty American"?

I just don't understand how ones defeat or mistake could make another person feel happy:scratch:

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
I don't know where you get off calling someone a stupid idiot. This was just a young girl getting way too excited about winning a Olympic gold medal. Here is a quote from her, "I was really excited. I was ahead of the pack and definitely got caught up in the moment....I was having so much fun and was so excited, I didn't even think twice that I shouldn't do that."
So what does that mean? That if you are a American and you show off that you are ugly? Should all the American athletes just walk around and compete with no emotions, would that make you a "pretty American"?

I just don't understand how ones defeat or mistake could make another person feel happy:scratch:

Please, the American athletes are the worse when it comes to celebrating victories, esp when they are far ahead of the pack.

ther

Spectator
I just watched the video of this event and all I have to say is the look on Jacobellis's face after she lost was priceless. :biggrin:

Well, according to the newspaper this morning they took a poll. The vast majority of people under forty voted for, "snowboarding is more about showing off than winning medals, go Linsey."

Folks over forty went with, "If you make it to the Olympics you should try to win."

But the most telling comment on this thread is Soogar's insertion of Michelle Kwan into the discussion, LOL. Michelle is 10,000 miles away, sitting under a palm tree sipping a cool rum and coke, but here she is dominating not only figure skating but Olympic snowboarding as well. :rock: :laugh:

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
don't you know on ANY skating board, not one thread can escape the wrath of Kwan. Her name will be brought up somehow. :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Please, the American athletes are the worse when it comes to celebrating victories, esp when they are far ahead of the pack.
I haven't taken a survey on every American athlete that has been ahead of the pack or has won on how they celebrate their victories, so I can't comment. However it might be safe to say that most athletes go a little crazy when they are winning or have won-look at how the swiss girl was celebrating.

soogar

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
I haven't taken a survey on every American athlete that has been ahead of the pack or has won on how they celebrate their victories, so I can't comment. However it might be safe to say that most athletes go a little crazy when they are winning or have won-look at how the swiss girl was celebrating.

At least she was celebrating after the race...