Would Buttle or Lambiel with a clean skate have won the long with how Plushy did? | Golden Skate

Would Buttle or Lambiel with a clean skate have won the long with how Plushy did?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Would Buttle or Lambiel with a clean skate have won the long with how Plushy did?

I actually think of either Lambiel or Buttle had done a totally clean skate one of them could have beaten Plushenko in the long program. So Plushenko with mistakes in one program could be challenged by one of the next best doing a perfect skate. Look at the points they would have added without their mistakes:

Buttle
--------
Fall on quad-4 more points
Hand down on 3 axel-1.5 more points
doubled triple loop-3.5 more points
PCS increased without the mistakes-5 more points(0.5 average more per component likely)
Total points added-14 more points which would give him a score of 168+, if he got GOE+ on jumps he missed he could have been over 170

Lambiel
---------------
Fall on triple lutz-4 more points
near fall on quad-close to 3 more points
doubled triple axel-just over 4 more points
PCS increased without the mistakes-5 more points(0.5 average more per component likely)
Total points added-16 more points which would give him a score of 168+,
if he got GOE+ on jumps he missed he could have been over 170

That is something that is encouraging.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I actually think of either Lambiel or Buttle had done a totally clean skate one of them could have beaten Plushenko in the long program. So Plushenko with mistakes in one program could be challenged by one of the next best doing a perfect skate. Look at the points they would have added without their mistakes:

Buttle
--------
Fall on quad-4 more points
Hand down on 3 axel-1.5 more points
doubled triple loop-3.5 more points
Total points added-14 more points which would give him a score of 168+, if he got GOE+ on jumps he missed he could have been over 170

Lambiel
---------------
Fall on triple lutz-4 more points
near fall on quad-close to 3 more points
doubled triple axel-just over 4 more points
Total points added-16 more points which would give him a score of 168+,
if he got GOE+ on jumps he missed he could have been over 170

That is something that is encouraging.

If Lambiel had the 3A in the short program and perfect long program with the 3A, I think it would have been very close. Buttle.. I'm not sure the judges would have given it to him at this point unless Plushenko made some major mistakes.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
FreeKatie said:
If Lambiel had the 3A in the short program and perfect long program with the 3A, I think it would have been very close. Buttle.. I'm not sure the judges would have given it to him at this point unless Plushenko made some major mistakes.

I am not saying I think either could have been close to winning. I am saying I think one or the other could have won the long with a perfect skate, and with Plushenko's skate. Had somebody better than Weir been closer than 10 points behind Plushenko he would have done a better long than he did and probably scored close to 180 though.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
No. I'm a huge Plushy fan but I think its safe to say that the Men's competition was more of a crowning than a competition... but of course, who's to say since all of the men went splat...;)

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I am not saying I think either could have been close to winning. I am saying I think one or the other could have won the long with a perfect skate, and with Plushenko's skate. Had somebody better than Weir been closer than 10 points behind Plushenko he would have done a better long than he did and probably scored close to 180 though.

Oh ok, so forgetting the short program -- I don't think the judges would have had any other skater win the LP after Plushenko finished skating last night -- it was a love fest for Plushenko just as 4 years ago it was a love-fest for Yagudin. The judges were prepared to give Plushenko the LP if he produced the goods and he did. As Dick Button said, Plushenko makes their job easy for them and they reward him for that.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
Oh ok, so forgetting the short program -- I don't think the judges would have had any other skater win the LP after Plushenko finished skating last night -- it was a love fest for Plushenko just as 4 years ago it was a love-fest for Yagudin. The judges were prepared to give Plushenko the LP if he produced the goods and he did. As Dick Button said, Plushenko makes their job easy for them and they reward him for that.
:agree:

And FreeKatie wins the reward for "most succinct post of the day"

Congrats! Are you now going to Disney World with Kwan?:laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
When you add the jump mistakes of Buttle and Lambiel they are already up to 163 though, and if a skater like Lysacek was able to get mid-7s with a clean skate Buttle and Lambiel with a clean skate certainly would have been able to get low 8s for PCS with a clean skate, so that ensures they would score in the 168-170 range with a clean skate.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
When you add the jump mistakes of Buttle and Lambiel they are already up to 163 though, and if a skater like Lysacek was able to get mid-7s with a clean skate Buttle and Lambiel with a clean skate certainly would have been able to get low 8s for PCS with a clean skate, so that ensures they would score in the 168-170 range with a clean skate.

not listening not listening not listening ;)
why'd ya have to go all math crazy on me? numbers make me dizzy :sheesh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
FreeKatie said:
not listening not listening not listening ;)
why'd ya have to go all math crazy on me? numbers make me dizzy :sheesh:

Isnt that a good reason to get rid of the new system though? :laugh: Aside from not being that fair and well judged after all, does anybody really want a system that is like a science project for those who dont lurve math?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, there is no way Lambial or Buttle will beat Plushen. It was clear after the SP, LP was just a postponed crownazation for Plushen.

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, the only way anybody could have defeated Plushenko last night was to skate the program of his life, with at least one clean quad, and for Plushenko to make at least two major mistakes.

As far as I'm concerned, the competition was pretty much a coronation for Evgeny. He was already proclaimed the Olympic champion before the skating began. It was clearly his competition to win or lose, and he came through.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
No, Lambiel or Buttle with a clean freeskate including a successful quad could not have beaten Plushenko. The latter´s lead after short programme was too big. It is though possible that just in the freeskate Lambiel could have beaten him, because he could have jumped a quad and also a quad and triple combination. We must though remember that in the freeskate Plushenko skated the way he did because of his strong lead.

Last edited:
It's a point competition and Plush had the points. No discussion is necessary except to rub salt into the silver and bronze medalists.

Joe

DeBz

Rinkside
Buttle and Lambiel definetely had no chance in winning overall, but I think if Buttle skated cleanly he would had a chance to win the long program. Plushenko's program was not technically perfect and his program components was not as good as Buttle's.