Heat Moldable Boots? | Golden Skate

Heat Moldable Boots?

redlights

Spectator
I'm in the market for my first skates in five years. In those five years I have taken a lot of classical ballet lessons and my feet have actually changed in structure and I need to get something a bit more comfortable, and less narrow. I am currently in the Reidells I got when I was fifteen.

I am debating heat moldable boots - what are the advantages and disadvantages to them? I am an adult so I don't have to worry about my feet growing anymore...

megsk8z

On the Ice
Heat moldable boots are a good thing. They give you nearly the fit of a custom without the $$$. And the nice thing about heat moldables is that you can bake them in the special oven as many times as you feel you need to. Most of the higher end boots are heat moldable these days. I do a lot of fitting for these things and both the adults and children seem to really like the fit. Just don't touch the blades or the eyelets when they first come out of the special oven.

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
I totally agree. My current skates are Jacksons, and the heat molding made all the difference for me when I first started using them.

I do have a question that Megsk8z may be able to answer. I've been contemplating re-molding my boots, but I didn't know if that would require another break-in period or not. Being an adult skater who doesn't get nearly the amount of ice time that I would like, I've got the boots broken in nicely, but my heels seem to be sliding around right now. I'm thinking a re-molding might help, but I'm hesitant if I'm going to lose momentum because I need to break-in boots again.

megsk8z

On the Ice
Generally you can just reheat your boots without any loss of break-in time you have already invensted. I know people that have baked their boots many times.

As to the other problem you mentioned when my heels were slipping I invested in a pricey (but totally worth it!) pair of Bunga Heel pads. Double strength. They keep my feet from sliding and just plain feel more comfortable. I rationalized my purchase by telling myself that Bunga pads were probably cheaper than an orthopaedic surgeon.

If you feel like it, let me know if either of these suggestions works.

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
My previous boots (circa 1965) were custom made and fit like a glove (at a cost of about $400 then!)

When I returned to skating last month I bought Jackson Competitors, had them heat molded, punched out here and there, and they fit every bit as well and cost about $250 - a SMALL fraction of what I expected to pay.