Where would Kwan have finished? | Golden Skate

Where would Kwan have finished?

Where would Kwan have finished the competition?

• Gold

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Silver

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Bronze

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • No medal, but top 5

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • No top 5, but top 8

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • top 10

Votes: 16 9.8%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Now that Kwan has officialy withdrawn where do you feel this great Champion would have finished in her final Olympics had she been healthy enough to compete. Just to note I am not referring to a situation of her being healthy since the end of last year, but the situation as it was, with her recovering when she did and staying healthy enough to be able to compete, with everything that has happened until Turino happening as it did until being healthy enough in Turino to be able to compete.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
Now that Kwan has officialy withdrawn where do you feel this great Champion would have finished in her final Olympics had she been healthy enough to compete. Just to note I am not referring to a situation of her being healthy since the end of last year, but the situation as it was, with her recovering when she did and staying healthy enough to be able to compete, with everything that has happened until Turino happening as it did until being healthy enough in Turino to be able to compete.

given the trend of skaters falling apart at the seams, I think she would have skated pretty clean programs and gotten to the podium - not sure if she would have had enough to get the gold cuz I have no idea what jump sequences she had planned or what her programs looked like - but I think she could have medaled if the women's event turns out to be anything like the men's

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
After seeing the competition she maybe could have won a silver or bronze if she skated cleanly. More likely though she would finish 4th or 5th. That is where most voted as well.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, based on the rather odd judging, I guess I would have to suppose she would have been 4th. I'm basing that on Irina finishing 3rd, and I think Irina overall would have probably outskated her, tho maybe not by very much. Now, if Irina had beaten Sasha like IMO she should have, I would have put Michelle for 3rd, because I think she would have beaten Sasha. But given that I feel the final placement order should have been Arakawa, Slutskaya, Suguri, Rochette, Cohen, instead of the order it was in, WHO KNOWS???? :laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
What is interesting is her ratio of gold picks and medal picks, relative to what is was before the long program has gone far up, there are a far higher ratio of people picking higher placing than before the womens long program? Coincidence?:rofl:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I said top 5, because I don't think she would have gotten a medal in the new judging system

slutskayafan21 said:
What is interesting is her ratio of gold picks and medal picks, relative to what is was before the long program has gone far up, there are a far higher ratio of people picking higher placing than before the womens long program? Coincidence? :rofl:
That is so true. In the short program, Sasha, Irina and Shizuka all did OK, so to predict that Michelle hobbling around out there could only get fourth seemed reasonable.

After we saw the LPs -- Michelle could beat that standing on her head, LOL.

MM :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
That is so true. In the short program, Sasha, Irina and Shizuka all did OK, so to predict that Michelle hobbling around out there could only get fourth seemed reasonable.

After we saw the LPs -- Michelle could beat that standing on her head, LOL.

MM :)

You are right, hindsight changes alot of views. :yes:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
You are right, hindsight changes alot of views. :yes:

doesn't it always... i had her in 2nd since december, mainly because i figured that diva would choke (i was so, thankfully, wrong!:bow: ) and knew that sasha would splat (i'm just surprised at how many thought otherwise ~ espcially after finishing 1st in the short...) and given that Kwan hadn't competed all season, she'd be ready to kick butt...

now, i think she might've won the whole damn thing... injuries suck.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
doesn't it always... i had her in 2nd since december, mainly because i figured that diva would choke (i was so, thankfully, wrong!:bow: ) and knew that sasha would splat (i'm just surprised at how many thought otherwise ~ espcially after finishing 1st in the short...) and given that Kwan hadn't competed all season, she'd be ready to kick butt...

now, i think she might've won the whole damn thing... injuries suck.

It also sucks we never got to see her new programs and to see how many level 3or level 4 elements she actually had or not. That is why I hope she stays next year, so maybe we get to see her programs that she was going to use this year.

She also must have been dissapointing watching how Sasha and Irina skated, and Shizuka cruise to gold with a pleasant unspectacular 5-triple performance.

Kasey

Medalist
Of course, none of us know what jumps/sequences/combinations she had planned; what kind of spins or footwork, how they would have been rated (just because the U.S. panel she had to test skate for said all her elements were levels 3 and 4 does not mean she would have performed up to that standard). We also don't know whether Michelle as well would have had falls or other significant errors. Kinda hard to tell where she would have ended up when none of us have seen her skate since the most recent injury, and only once all year.

Hi, Kasey. Au contraire, I have seen Michelle's 2006 Olympic performances, many times, in my mind. Her two combinations were triple Axel/triple loop and quad toe/triple toe. This gave her 7 triples and a quad. Her total was 529 points, counting the straight 10s she got in the program components. :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Hi, Kasey. Au contraire, I have seen Michelle's 2006 Olympic performances, many times, in my mind. Her two combinations were triple Axel/triple loop and quad toe/triple toe. This gave her 7 triples and a quad. Her total was 529 points, counting the straight 10s she got in the program components. :)

Sounds glorious. :laugh:

MsLutzy

Rinkside
At least bronze, if she's lucky, maybe silver. It's true her skating's not very fit with the CoP standards, but at least her jumps are as solid as they come, and her presentation/skating skills will rank higher than Meissner. With jumps like Meissner's, her score would probably pull ahead of Kwan a little, unless the judges decides to give Kwan first, just because she is who she is :bow:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
:laugh: :laugh: Math. I know wouldn't it have been wonderful!!

Dee

krenseby

Final Flight
Well, the thing is you have to remember that in 2004 she was 3rd in the long and the short programs and came in fourth only because of a terrible qualifying round performance. I think had she skated her SP and LP like she did in the Moscow Worlds, she would probably make it to 3rd place. I suspect if Kwan had competed, she would have displaced Sasha from the podium. Sasha's artistry only impressed the judges so much because Kwan wasn't around. Had Kwan been around, Sasha's choreography and artistry wouldn't make as much of an impression, her artistic scores would go down, and she would drop to fourth.

So with a skate like the 2005 Worlds or a little better, I imagine the following placements:

1. Arakawa
2. Slutskaya
3. Cohen

OR if Michelle's levels had gone up and her jumps were a bit stronger than in 2005 Worlds.

1. Arakawa
2. Kwan
3. Slutskaya

Wolfgang

On the Ice
If she doesn't fall, she's taking gold, because she is the 'incumbent', in a manner of speaking....