NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings) | Golden Skate

NBC: Left out in the cold (about TV ratings)

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/17/oly.nbcs.competition.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

NBC was knocked on its heels by the first night the Olympics went up against Fox's "American Idol" Tuesday. (See story.) Based on preliminary Nielsen Media Research estimates, "Idol" doubled the Olympics audience when they went head-to-head again on Wednesday.

The 17.9 million people who watched Wednesday made it the least-watched night of Winter Olympics competition since at least 1988, according to Nielsen.

Besides "Idol," viewers who aren't slalom-inclined have also had new episodes of "Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Survivor" and "Dancing With the Stars" to choose from.

"In the past, the Winter Olympics have not had a lot of competition," said Stacey Lynn Koerner, analyst for the Initiative media agency, "because typically the other networks would lie down and say, 'why put our best stuff up against a powerhouse?' "

Through the first six days of Olympics broadcasts, the average Olympics viewership of 21 million people is down 36 percent from the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, 43 percent among the 18-to-49-year-old viewers advertisers prefer.

Wednesday night's ratings troubles were predictable for NBC: there was no figure skating scheduled, and no American won a gold medal that day. NBC compounded matters with a particularly deflating opening segment on an American speedskating team that lost amid dissension within its ranks.

It doesn't get any easier for NBC. The Olympics competed with a new "Survivor" episode on Thursday, as well as ABC's surprise hit "Dancing With the Stars."

Next week is women's figure skating, always the marquee event for Winter Olympics television viewers. NBC faces it, however, without Kwan and analysts say the network needs a strong American competitor to bring people in.

I think I know who that "strong American competitor" is...:biggrin: :laugh:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
who is it? (the strong american competitor - is Sarah making a comeback?):p

I know a big skating fan who ditched the Olympics to watch "24", I couldn't believe me ears.

I don't think it's anyone's fault. I just think that the Olympics is the new Miss America Pageant. Big in the 1950s. That was then, this is now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I still think the IOC should switch back to having both events every four years. I mean, if there's an Olympics every TWO years now, it sort of loses its "prestige" a bit, doesn't it?

I know I contributed to this by watching (recording) American Idol and Survivor instead of the Olympics. Why? There simply wasn't anyone who peaked my interest in any of the competitions. It's not like the Summer Games where all sports are fun to watch no matter who's competing. I tell you, if the ladies event turns out to be a dud, it's not going to be good.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I still think the IOC should switch back to having both events every four years. I mean, if there's an Olympics every TWO years now, it sort of loses its "prestige" a bit, doesn't it?

I know I contributed to this by watching (recording) American Idol and Survivor instead of the Olympics. Why? There simply wasn't anyone who peaked my interest in any of the competitions. It's not like the Summer Games where all sports are fun to watch no matter who's competing. I tell you, if the ladies event turns out to be a dud, it's not going to be good.

Uh oh... First Sluty21 picked Diva as the person he wants to win (poll in Olympic section) and NOW I agree with Red Dog... The end is near!!!

But I think MM might be on to something... Miss America used to be the official Mother / Daughter bonding thing for me growing up & now its right up there with "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders ~ Making the Squad" on CMT... Is skating next? Has it really & truly been all about Kwan? Even the big uber that I am used to laugh at comments about w/o Kwan there is no American Skating... but now I'm not so sure...

Has little girls have big dreams too become little girls are too busy playing soccer, snowboarding and working on their backhands to care about skating? What will the future of this sport look like in 10 years?

Anybody have a clue?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I still say it's too soon to tell. Skating was on the decline even WITH Kwan there. And the Olympic ladies' event hasn't even begun yet. Maybe in a year we'd be better positioned to answer a question like this.

Enero

On the Ice
I have to agree with Mathman. I think the Olympics is on the decline. There's just better stuff on television and to be honest the coverage and the competitions have been quite blah the past two Olympics, especially this year. JMHO.

Wanted to add: Also, the decline in ratings could also be due to the rise of the internet. Why watch NBC's broadcast if you can get the results hours earlier. Or better yet watch CBC (?) and see the competitions live.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Sadly, I know many people this year are not watching any of the Winter Games. Most called them the most boring events on TV and a snooze fest. Sadly, even people who normally watch Olympic skating aren't this year, because they either don't care, aren't into any of the individual athletes or some didn't even know there was a Winter Olympics on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The 2004 Summer Games still did really well on NBC. I think this is just in comparison to the 02 games which got unusually high ratings. But if fewer Americans are in medal contention, I expect interest to wane. Without Kwan, will the ladies event still be a big draw for viewers? On Tuesday the short program will have to go against Idol, and on Thursday, Survivor.

I refuse to believe the absence of Kwan is the ONLY reason here. I mean, "her" event isn't until the second week. The viewing public seems to have gotten a chance to "know" Kimmie, and has been introduced to Emily. Cohen's name has been thrown around a couple of times, but I doubt the average olympic viewer knows she's the top medal contender.

I said earlier before the Olympics that the hype surrounding these games seemed to be lower than usual. Other than the Bode Miller controversy, what other stories were there? Nothing, really.

eliza88

On the Ice
IMO, much of these poor ratings are NBC's fault...they seemed to have an exceptionally narrow focus, mainly on Bode Miller and the Ladies skating competition. Why weren't they promoting more of the sports? Speed skating, short track, ski jumping...Why do they always have to key in on an American gold contender? They could easily talk about the competition with other athletes from different countries AND make it interesting! (side rant: years ago during a summer Olympics, I really enjoyed talking to a co-worker about gymnastics...then came the all-around competiton and she said she wasn't interested because there weren't any americans in the event! What??! Not watch the Russians or the Romanians? Made no sense to me! She missed the best of the best...) Hey, they can key in on the event itself and make THAT the most interesting part. Personally I'd like to know more about luge...just how do you control that sled, and what does "being relaxed" mean, how do you set up a turn, etc. The more I know about the sport the more I am interested, it is not the athletes that draw me in first...

The ratings may be down, but IMO, they are showing us a lot of sport! I couldn't believe how many skaters they have shown, they also have aired many skiers, good coverage of the cross country events, lots of ski jumpers, etc. It's not just the top 5 from each event that they are showing. Now, if we could only get the commentators to shut-up during a skating program, why that would be just dandy!

eliza88

The Salt Lake City bruhahah is the prime problem,imo, with the figure skating going down hill, together with it's non resolution of the collusion. But that may only be in the US.

Add on the absence of Kwan which doesn't do much for her fan base and all those casual fans who watched her grow up.

Maybe Sasha can pick up some additional fans but much depends on her attitude to keep figure skating alive. It will be interesting to compare the Ladies ratings to this one. I would think Thomas v. Witt was probably the highest.

I do think the Sport will continue on a high basis in Canada, Europe and Asia, and their networks will not drop it.

All the above is JMO onFigure Skating.

For the Olys as a whole, it all depends on the interests of younger fans. For example a 16 y.o. may find the variety of winter sports fascinating but after two Olys that teenager will be 24, and their lives may not have that much time to watch as it once did. I think seniors will appreciate the variety of the winter games as a relief from American team sports.

Of course the NBC ratings will govern their renewing the games in 2010.

Let's keep an eye on the ratings.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think any American skater has an obligation to "keep figure skating alive". The problem is that sadly, the damage may have been done from the SLC scandal...more and more people think FS is just a big joke. The new scoring system is only making people confused.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
I don't think any American skater has an obligation to "keep figure skating alive". The problem is that sadly, the damage may have been done from the SLC scandal...more and more people think FS is just a big joke. The new scoring system is only making people confused.

The new scoring system is a joke! Dont you think?

Interest in figure skating in America is dying as can be seen by American interests in singing contests. I think that's fact. Let's compare the previous ratings through the years, particularly in the Ladies Division with this years' Ladies event.

I don't think any skater can bring up the ratings and certainly not Sasha. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Interest in figure skating in America is dying as can be seen by American interests in singing contests. I think that's fact. Let's compare the previous ratings through the years, particularly in the Ladies Division with this years' Ladies event.

I don't think any skater can bring up the ratings and certainly not Sasha. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Joe

If Michelle had not withdrawn the ratings would be alot higher. It is sad she withdrew. I dont think she had much chance of gold this time, but a good performance coming off an long injury, and maybe a surprise medal ala Shen/Zhou would have made NBC ratings go through the roof.

Jhar55

Medalist
NBC needs to promote other events, last night I watched the snowboarding cross downhill now that was fun. They were calling it Nascar on ice. :rock:
And during one of the boring parts I did catch the last of Surivor and a qucik nap.

slutskayafan21 said:
If Michelle had not withdrawn the ratings would be alot higher. It is sad she withdrew. I dont think she had much chance of gold this time, but a good performance coming off an long injury, and maybe a surprise medal ala Shen/Zhou would have made NBC ratings go through the roof.
Why can't you comment on Sasha?
If you really are a fan of Irina, which I am beginning to doubt, why not comment on her major competitor?

Joe

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Why can't you comment on Sasha?

Joe

Americans dont love Sasha the way they do Michelle. Am I wrong on that? Sometimes more than one athlete is beloved and if the favorite is gone they still have an athlete that pulls at their heart strings and is a great replacement, like Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett in swimming, and Roger Federer and Ivo Hueberger in tennis. Sasha is a great skater, and Americans like her, but there is only a small percentage of skating or general sports fans who become extremely attached to her the way they do to Michelle.

So of course commenting on Michelle being missing has far more effect on TV ratings than whether Sasha is there or not. If this was a competitive thread I would comment on Sasha more, but it is a thread on TV ratings.

Peggy

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
Then call her up & get her to Italy, because the ones there aren't driving the media...

This sucks for Sasha... One thing I'd really hoped for her was that she'd become the "face" of American skating... .

It won't happen this Olympics even if Sasha wins the Gold. The USFSA hasn't promoted Sasha & neither has NBC so what do they expect. She is our National champion and the 2 time World silver medalist and Mary (whats her name) on Olympic Ice just called her one of the puppies representing the USA, since Michelle left. If I was Sasha I'd find that very insulting and I can't figure out why Dick didn't set Mary straight. Sasha is on her own and she knows it, even if she has the skate of her life, it will be a miracle if she is judged fairly. When your own country doesn't recognize you, how can you expect the international judges to recognize you.

Figure skating will die in the USA if they don't start giving some credit to other skaters. Why spend all that time working hard to get to a championship level if your own figure skating association is not going to stand behind you. This is the worst coverage I've ever seen at a Olympics and I've seen alot of them.