Ungrateful great? | Golden Skate

Ungrateful great?

dutchherder

Final Flight
On the Olympic Ice program the other night, Johnny Weir mentioned that when he was a young skater at his first big competition (I believe he said he was 13), there was another skater-- a world and national medalist-- who had a big ovation at the end of his program and collected lots of stuffed animals and whatnot from the ice. As soon as he walked into the locker room, he chucked it all in the trash.

Anybody have any idea who that might be?:think:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I wonder if JW could be mistaking the trash for the trash like container that is placed off ice for the skaters to dump their goodies in They are then given to kids in the hospital.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
dutchherder said:
On the Olympic Ice program the other night, Johnny Weir mentioned that when he was a young skater at his first big competition (I believe he said he was 13), there was another skater-- a world and national medalist-- who had a big ovation at the end of his program and collected lots of stuffed animals and whatnot from the ice. As soon as he walked into the locker room, he chucked it all in the trash.

No idea, but if you find out please tell me! :no:
I hope this will be in his tell-all book.
Could it have been Rudy?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Piel said:
I wonder if JW could be mistaking the trash for the trash like container that is placed off ice for the skaters to dump their goodies in They are then given to kids in the hospital.

ahhh, it all makes sense now.. phew!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Maybe Ms. 'Italian Ice' (a.k.a. GossipLady on the Olympic Ice TV show) can investigate for us! :chorus:

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Hmmm, I was like WTF when I heard about the champion throwing away the stuffed animals. Or maybe as another poster said, he was putting it in the bin to go to the children's hospital?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
dutchherder said:

Didn´t he actually say an Olympic and World gold medalist? I saw the matter mentioned somewhere (in FSUniverse, perhaps)? Are you sure it happened that long ago?

Last edited:

ATW27

On the Ice
I though he said that it was his first Grand Prix, which would be 2001 Skate Canada. And I think he said the skater in question was a World medalist; I don't think he said anything about an Olympic medal. Looking at the roster, there were three World medalists there - Yagudin, Stojko, and Eldredge. Considering how much he idiolizes Yagudin (at least, he has in the past), I don't think it's him.
BTW, sometimes I too have a hard time understanding what "Italian Ice" is saying.

I vaguely remember that this was discussed before, and it was Stojko. I'm sure that the "bin for the children's hospital" is the right explanation. On the COI tour, for instance, I think they routinely gather up all the teddy bears after each performance and donate them to local hospitals.

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Mathman said:
I vaguely remember that this was discussed before, and it was Stojko. I'm sure that the "bin for the children's hospital" is the right explanation. On the COI tour, for instance, I think they routinely gather up all the teddy bears after each performance and donate them to local hospitals.

But since Johnny has been around for a long time now, I'm sure that if that were the explanation he would know. I can't imagine him years later saying that it was a trash can when now he would know if it were a bin to give them to hospitals.

Mafke

Medalist
SunshineSlayer said:
But since Johnny has been around for a long time now, I'm sure that if that were the explanation he would know..

I was sure he would be able to read a bus schedule, but life is full of surprises...

lotusland

On the Ice
A friend of mine was incharge of the "flower children" at Nationals on year. The kids on the first event almost ended up in tears when they were told to put all the flowers in the metal bucket and the stuffed toys etc. in the black garbage bag. You should have seen the looks on their faces! The kids (logically) thought the skaters didn't want their gifts and everything was going into the trash. My friend had to call a special meeting of all the flower retrievers and explain to them that all the gifts (except one or two per skater) were being given to the children at Sick Kids Hospital.

Kasey

Medalist
lotusland said:
A friend of mine was incharge of the "flower children" at Nationals on year. The kids on the first event almost ended up in tears when they were told to put all the flowers in the metal bucket and the stuffed toys etc. in the black garbage bag. You should have seen the looks on their faces! The kids (logically) thought the skaters didn't want their gifts and everything was going into the trash. My friend had to call a special meeting of all the flower retrievers and explain to them that all the gifts (except one or two per skater) were being given to the children at Sick Kids Hospital.

So is that automatic, the basic rule? Supposing a skater does want to keep all their gifts, or donate them somewhere else?