Mishin -- Russian Ladies "Too Big" to Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mishin -- Russian Ladies "Too Big" to Skate

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
At an SOI show, Scott Hamilton once said something about there being two kinds of skaters, those who use gimmicks and those who *will* use gimmicks (i.e., later on in their careers). I think there must be a lot of truth to that, because audience members often want to see something they have not seen before, and because certain moves, especially certain jumps, get harder and harder to do as the body ages, and acquires injuries.

Over time, I have become more and more appreciative of what skaters go through, first to become famous enough to work in tours, and later on, living through the constant travelling and hard hours, when they enter pro tours.

bluecatskater

Rinkside
On the "Olympic Ice" show during "Press Dick's Buttons" they asked him about this statement by Mishen. I like his comment ........."maybe it's the teaching."

Vash01

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
I couldn't stop laughing. Russia, the same country that produced Anzhelika Krylova, Tania Navka, Maria Butyrskaya, Katya Gordeeva, Elena Berezhnaya...

None of whom are BIG women.

Say, maybe one of them will become a boxer like Tonia Kwiatkowski once their skating career ends!

Add to the list Maria Petrova, Elena Bechke, and even Irina Slutskaya is not exactly a BIG girl; just more athletic.

Anjelika Krylova is very tall for a skater, but I would not say she is BIG.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
FauveNik said:
This gets me on a rant! Lord Why wont Plushenko just skate a nice exhibition for once!?! He always does these idiotic gags and he looks like a moron doing it. funny, I dont think so. Scott Hamilton was funny at 1st but even he got boring! The only one that could pull off those kind of things with class was Kurt. leave the nuditie to our Phippa! :biggrin:
end of rant.
Fauve

You probably missed his beautiful exhibition skated to Beethoven in Dartmond (2004).

I actually liked his humor in that purple costume with a big head he wore in one of his other exhibitions (can't remember the year). I don't think his exhibitions are moronic (I even started liking Sex Bomb after some time), but I would like to see some serious exhibitions from him (like the Beethoven one). Scott H. got boring because he lost his skating abilities and had to rely on gimmicks. Even Kurt got boring with his so called funny numbers. His serious numbers are still good. However, Plushenko has not reached that age yet.

Vash

Evdokia

On the Ice
Well, probably Mishin is so much focused on Plush that there was just no time for him to recognize skaters like Berezhnaja, Butyrskaja, Mishkutenok, Gordejewa, Slutskaja, Navka, Krylova, Domnina, Usowa ... and I could go on and on. :rolleye:

Honestly, it's now wonder that every female skater, who tried to train with him either run away after a short while or simply got screwed. As a girl, I'd rather skate with nails in my boots than to train with Mishin. :scowl: