Volchkova pulls out of the games | Golden Skate

Volchkova pulls out of the games

Poor Vika! She's so beautiful, had SO much natural jumping talent (a 3Lutz most men would die for), and was so beautiful period, but things just never clicked for her. I remember being in a cab with Vika and Sokolova (yes, we picked them up at the mall) before the Goodwill Games in '98. We we all squished in the back with another person and I tried to say something to Vika. I remember she looked more scared of someone trying to talk to her than of doing triple jumps. Although she was still a little bit in that gawky teenager stage, I also thought, "You have no idea how gorgeous you're going to be. You don't even have a clue, you poor thing," because not knowing what you've got is just as bad if not worse than thinking you have what you don't.

Bye Vika. I'll miss seeing you skate.

Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ouch that sounds very painful. First a speedy recovery VV and then please come back next year you're my fav Russian gal. Team Russia needs you and so do we.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Talk about bad luck! I am surprised though that Russia is not sending an alternate. Then again, the bronze medalists is now Biktagirova who is probably too young to go. Next after her was Naidenova, Slutskaya's rinkmate, but she wasn't even in any Grand Prix events. The only one with any international experience is Basova (Mishin's student), but she only finished 8th at Nationals.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Wow... so many things can go wrong, eh? You really have to take care of yourself like a super fragile porcelain before such huge competitions.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Viktoria got a blister on her right middle finger from tying her skating boots and it got infected,"
I hope there isn't anything more wrong. That just doesn't seem right unless she had a sore there before. Anyhow, speed recovery wishes.

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Talk about bad luck! I am surprised though that Russia is not sending an alternate. Then again, the bronze medalists is now Biktagirova who is probably too young to go. Next after her was Naidenova, Slutskaya's rinkmate, but she wasn't even in any Grand Prix events. The only one with any international experience is Basova (Mishin's student), but she only finished 8th at Nationals.

Really? What happened to Soldatova? I thought she was trying to make a comeback, or a return, or whatever the more appropriate term would be.

That is too bad. I would rather have something like a broken leg in a freak accident than have something like THAT happen; it would seem to be more frustrating to have something that starts out as something totally minor, get out of hand like that. (I just realized that under the circumstances that could be construed as an awful pun, and it's not meant as one, it was purely unintentional).

For some reason, every time I see her, I am always reminded of Tonya Harding. She, to me, looks like what Tonya would have looked like had she been Eastern European. (I am referring to the young, early 20s Tonya Harding, not the looks-45-looks-like-she-hangs-out-in-bars-all-day-skag Tonya of today). I thought that a more athletic style like Harding's would have suited her as well.

Kasey

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
I hope there isn't anything more wrong. That just doesn't seem right unless she had a sore there before. Anyhow, speed recovery wishes.

Dee

Actually, if it is cellulitis (which is an infection that can occur with any open wound), it can even happen if there is not any wound opening....it's like, you can get a cold in your head or in your chest? This is like a "cold" somewhere else in your body, but usually will be around a wound area.....I got a touch of it 2 years ago from a cat bite, and even though I had cleaned the area thoroughly, I could tell within an hour it was infected. Best not to take chances, but poor Vika...

Buzzz

Final Flight
hopefully she gets better soon. According to an article on Yahoo she will not be replaced.

kyla2

Final Flight
Sorry...

Sorry to hear this. She was always nice to watch and some of her jumps were gorgeous.