F-P/Margaglio Rant Thread (Feel Free to Join in if compelled) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

F-P/Margaglio Rant Thread (Feel Free to Join in if compelled)

Gwendolyn

Rinkside
That would have been a sight to see!!! Maurizio bowing and waving and Babs following him around and glaring at his back!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
BFP was such a witch to MM. If I were him I think I would have dropped her a$$ again in the FD.

mom said pretty much the same thing lol... only instead of @$$ she said head :chorus:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
That FD they did was pathetic. It should have been below Domnina & Shabalin for sure, and while I haven't seen Faiella & Scali I suspect below them as well. It seemed like they were afraid of doing any move at all! Remarkable how with all that they were still ahead of the Lithuanians overall...

I wouldn't rate it so far as "pathetic" -- BUT -- given the fact that they were former World champions and reigning OBM's and had come out of retirement to do this competition -- I would have expected something a little less ordinary and pedestrian. Wouldn't one think that given all those circumstances, they would have tried for a FD that would at least attempt to be their own personal "Bolero"??? "The Prince of Egypt", for heaven's sake??? What was so special about that?? That wasn't even up to their "Riverdance" (which I didn't care for), and it certainly wasn't up to their "Dracula" -- which I actually really liked and consider their masterpiece. It was, however, an improvement over that cheesy piece of crap they had the nerve to show up and present in SLC. Like in SLC, they kind of gave the impression with their FD that they thought that due to their reputation and record, they could pretty much show up and present any dang thing at all and the judges would just adore every single second of it.

RubyNV

Rinkside
Not so sure

I didn't tape the ice dance, so I can't go back and look at it, but I believe that the fall in Barbara and Maurizio's OD might have actually been her fault more than his. It happened pretty fast, but it looked to me like Barbara leaped up too fast, and was out a little too far ahead of her partner for him to be able to get a firm hold on her. If she had waited about a nanosecond, the timing would have been right.

Nmsis

On the Ice
RubyNV said:
but I believe that the fall in Barbara and Maurizio's OD might have actually been her fault more than his. It happened pretty fast, but it looked to me like Barbara leaped up too fast, and was out a little too far ahead of her partner for him to be able to get a firm hold on her. If she had waited about a nanosecond, the timing would have been right.

She didn't jump high enough. The second leg was too low. Maurizio only grabbed the first properly. As they weren't tightly joined, the centripetal force (I hope this is the proper word) made him lost balance. Maurizio's technique isn't great but it wasn't his fault.

During the OD, with all the needed technical elements, Maurizio was doomed to be busted (it's quite "strange" he wasn't at the CD). In the FD, they tried to make a pleasing program but the difference with the other dance couples was too obvious and Maurizio had to fight with the difficulties during the whole program. The general impression couldn't be great but he has been couragious on that one.

I am not outraged by Barbara's declaration. She did the same with Marina and Gwendal. Other dancers did that before (like Gritschuk). Marina could have, hadn't she been held back by Gwendal and the French Federation). I think it's part of the diplomatic game and lobbying. The skaters have to convince that they are the best and that others are nice but not as good, they have to promote themselves. Even more when their rank is disputed. FP's hot temper just make the declaration more steamy (russians are more elliptic).

As a lot of italians (not all of them) tend to theatrilize their social life, I was not surprised, rather amused by the italian piece of comedia dell'arte they played for us on sunday's evening. Like a pressure cooker, they released the steam on the ice. Being french (so partly latin and neighbor of Italy), I am not shocked nor angry at all. It's a cultural question. Italians can do that, the italian press loved that. You can be shocked but it's because you didn't see the acting, the theatre part in Barbara's attitude (maybe she even knew she was the one who was wrong), it wasn't as serious as it seemed. And she is not the only one to give killer's look. Marina gave some too to Gwendal. And believe me, without the comedy part, it's much more frightening.

Nmsis

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Second, when they mention that F-P said that "the Canadians" are too young and immature, I can only HOPE that Barbie is referring to Wing & Lowe (which would be insulting and rude enough) and not that she has completely lost it and is referring to Dubreil & Lauzon. Because if Barbie considers D/L to be "young and immature", she must have completely forgotten in her dotage, that Barbie and Marie-France Dubreil are both veterans of the Junior World Championships of -- are ya ready? -- the 89/90 season!!!

She must have been talking about the american couple. Had the unofficial rule been applied, Tanith and Belbin would have waited a couple of year before approaching the podium. Jamal Othman, quoted in a french journal, said about ice dance that: "it's a sport where you have to queue up. One couple after another." So Barbara hinted that it wasn't the americans' turn. As they were the veterans of the competition, they tried to get back a kind of priority by stating that.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Nmsis said:
She must have been talking about the american couple. Had the unofficial rule been applied, Tanith and Belbin would have waited a couple of year before approaching the podium. Jamal Othman, quoted in a french journal, said about ice dance that: "it's a sport where you have to queue up. One couple after another." So Barbara hinted that it wasn't the americans' turn. As they were the veterans of the competition, they tried to get back a kind of priority by stating that.

Well, actually, what the line in the article says, in (semi) full, was "A recent newspaper article had F-P saying that Deloebel/Schoenfelder should be thinking more about the 2010 Olympics; that the Americans and Canadians are too young and immature...." So, she WAS talking about Belbin & Agosto as well, which I can understand, as they are a young couple, but to ding either one of the Canadian couples for being too young and immature, given how long both have been on the scene?? I mean, really.