Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Alexei Yagudin---Passion for Skating

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Kelly, "Overcome" was an exhibition program only during the (eligible) season 2001/2002, but later he skated it in several Pro/Pro-Am events also; Hallmark was one of them. Another great, intense & comparable performance of it was at Sears Open 2003.

Anke

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice
    What I find amazing is that Yagudin still had some his most passionate and memorable performances in his so-called *meltdown* season 2000/2001, just remember "Gladiator" at Skate Canada 2000, "Gladiator" at Euros 2001 and "Revolution Etude" at Worlds 2001. It's kinda ironic/sad though he never won anything "big" with his probably greatest LP, "Gladiator". I wonder how many people will remind Plushenko's programs of this particular season?

Anke
    I totally agree about "Gladiator!" I thought I was the only one who believed that it was Yagudin's best FS program ever. And I remember the performance at Skate Canada -- Todd Eldridge skated first and it was actually (no disrespect intended toward Todd Eldridge fans) the only time that I was ever impressed with an Eldridge skate. I remember thinking, "wow, he's actually pretty good when he's on." Then of course, Yagudin came out and brought (almost literally!) the house down with his debut of "Gladiator." I was nearly on my feet, cheering at home! That was such an incredible performance ... I really miss the passion and excitement that Yagudin nearly always brought to his events.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Kathleen, I can't get into your pictures anymore.

Custom Title

Plushenko vs. Jagudin was like pure tecnique vs. passion on the ice.

Jagudin was a real fluent, smooth ice-skater and Plushy is a ballet dancer on a wrong surface (like element-stop-posing, element-stop-posing).
    Even with that they both bring a level of the men's figure skating as high as nobody else really can reach it nowdays.

Jagudin was like Artur Dmitriev in pair-skating with their fantastic passion.
    I also think Jagudin was much more lovable then Plush, but it is just my opinion...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    Kathleen, I can't get into your pictures anymore.
    Hi. Hey - my new 'off ice' website is finally up today, so I took all of the Epson sites down. My new photo website link is:

http://www.ka-bangs.com

Thanks - hope you enjoy it.

Custom Title
    So after all this is what missing in this Olympics, according to Sonia Bianchetti.

Passion = Yagudin.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Thanks Kathleen! I swear, the things you get him to do....lol

Passion, Passion, Passion. Point your finger at some imaginery person in the audience and you have Passion.

Joe

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Passion, Passion, Passion. Point your finger at some imaginery person in the audience and you have Passion.

Joe
    Joe, If that's your definition of passion, then Elvis has "passion," and while I enjoy Elvis's skating, I wouldn't call it "passionate." Alexei never pointed his finger at anyone in the audience during his Revolution Etude short program and in my opinion, that program is FULL of passion.

Nan

Hey Nans - I don't have a definition of Passion.To me, it's in the mind of the beholder. i think it means something to the effect as extraordinary love. I believe all people have that ability but some show it different ways.

Alexei goes after you. Stephane invites you in. Pick your choice.

Joe

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanzibar
    Hi. Hey - my new 'off ice' website is finally up today, so I took all of the Epson sites down. My new photo website link is:

http://www.ka-bangs.com

Thanks - hope you enjoy it.
    WOW, fantastic work, Kathleen! Great to have all these wonderful photos finally on one website!!!

Honestly, I envy you! Does your camera never shake in your hands with all these beautiful guys in front of you?

Anke

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Hey Nans - I don't have a definition of Passion.To me, it's in the mind of the beholder. i think it means something to the effect as extraordinary love. I believe all people have that ability but some show it different ways.

Alexei goes after you. Stephane invites you in. Pick your choice.

Joe
    But Joe, you do have a defination of "passion," you just gave it!

Dictionary.com defines "passion" this way:

pas·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pshn)
    n.
    1) A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.

2) a. Ardent love.
    b. Strong sexual desire; lust.
    c. The object of such love or desire.

3) a. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game.
    b.The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.

4) An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.

5) Passion
    The sufferings of Jesus in the period following the Last Supper and including the Crucifixion, as related in the New Testament.
    A narrative, musical setting, or pictorial representation of Jesus's sufferings.

6) Archaic. Martyrdom.

7) Archaic. Passivity.
    While defination number 2 does deal with love/sex, numbers 1, 3 and 4 are more what I had in mind.

I think Alexei does come after you, but then he invites you to join him on the ice and for me, Stephane does much the same thing, just not with as much intensity.

Different people, different perceptions, all valid. As Alexei might say, "That's what makes figure skating such an interesting event."

Nan

Nan - I love point 3 in that dictionary definition of passion. I read it that the skater has this enormus enthusiasm (passion) but his/her skills are weak.

OK, Alexei has passion but so do all athletes that don't quit the game.

Joe

Moving Forward
    Joe,

You write, "quit the game" like Alexei had a choice in the matter. I think if there was any way Alexei could get back in the game at the point he left, he would do it.

I almost took that part of the definition out, but I think it's an important part. I believe Alexei has as much passion for the sport now as he did when he was competing, his body just won't co-operate and that's not quite the same thing as "weak skills," is it?

Nan

OK - I think Dick and Peggy have as much interest in skating as always. I have interest in watching competitive skating. It's a passion. I'm not sure if you have as much interest in skating as you do in one skater. There are posts I read where the writer is clearly interested in one skater as his/her passion. Nothing wrong with that, but it does prove my point that passion is in the mind of the beholder.

As for Alexei, and from a passionate competitor view, I watched the beautiful skate of Sasha Abt in Euros that year and the mediocre skate of Alexei. I also saw Alexei's brilliant and most memorable skate in SLC. Do these skaters always skate their best and is it passion that makes them click? I think it is passion that drives them to skating. How they skate is another matter.

I have no passion for exhibition skating, unfortunately, but I do recognize interesting choreography. I have passion for my interest in other performing arts than in figure skating.

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast