Japanese Skaters Look Ready! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese Skaters Look Ready!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
I like all skaters equally, but some I like a teeny bit more equally than the rest. Go Fumie!

MM

:biggrin: What Mathman said! I'm so glad they're all practicing well and I hope they all kick butt in competition! All three of these women are so special.
Shizuka's nothing short of regal when she's at her best. I want to see her prove to herself that the gold in Dortmund wasn't a fluke.
Miki has huge potential as long as she can find her own style - she's not quite there yet, but I see no reason why she can't get there, and soon.
Fumie skates with a quiet joy that's always spoken to my heart. (Corny, yes, but there you go.) It's not the kind of emotionalism you'd find in, say, Michelle - where you're crying by the footwork sequence - but it's spellbinding nonetheless. Matt Savoie has a similar effect on me.
And to think that there are several more back home with similar potential! As a skating fan, that just rocks my world.
(*singing, to the tune of a possibly recognizable Beatles song*):
I'm backing team Japan!
I'm backing team Japan!
xoxo
Rave

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Let's see if she skated like her 2004 worlds LP, will she be held up?
I remember Caro's 2004 Worlds LP, it was dreadful. IIRC, she had two falls, a popped jump and some very juniorish moves (her layback made me cringe). I couldn't believe she got 5.8s and even one 5.9 for presentation with that mess. People talk about how the judges manipulate the PCS score, but it really wasn't so different with the 6.0 system's presentation scores. Though I do think her bronze at 2005 Worlds was fair.

Last edited:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
mzheng said:
I agree with a poster (Doris?) the figure skating in Olympics is all about politics. More so than in worlds.
ITA. The Olympics is very, very political. At Worlds the judges seem more likely to rate the performance on its own merits.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Y'all are making excellent points but to be honest, since this olympics is turning out to be a splat fest with terrible skating... I'm throwing caution to the wind and shall root for DivaKwara... Just because of her Ina Bauer... :rock: :bow:

CalloftheBlade

Rinkside
WOW, just saw olympic ice episode 9 and they showed a clip of Shizuka practicing, she did a CLEAN triple lutz triple loop combo, hopefully she'll feel confident enough to perform it in both short and long!!! :agree:

Vash01

Medalist
maruru said:
They had a press conference. Three together there...

I couldn't find a full transcript, but here are some other quotes they said.

Miki, as the Yahoo article says, sounded just simply happy to be there, but she broke into tears asked about her deceased dad (she'd been Daddy's little girl).

Sorry to hear about Miki's Dad. It must be difficult to lose a father at such a young age. Did he pass away recently? Even if it has been years I am sure she misses him a lot. He would have been so proud of her.

Vash

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Vash01 said:
Sorry to hear about Miki's Dad. It must be difficult to lose a father at such a young age. Did he pass away recently? Even if it has been years I am sure she misses him a lot. He would have been so proud of her.

Vash

I heard he passed away about 10 years ago.

maruru

Rinkside
new_europe2006 said:

That's what I heard, too. By an accident.

Meanwhile (and I'm sorry if these are posted somewhere already), Miki showed her new costumes in today's practice. This one is for SP and this one is for LP.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
ITA. The Olympics is very, very political. At Worlds the judges seem more likely to rate the performance on its own merits.
Hey, Zuline share the same view as us from different angle, but the same politics.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060219/SPORTS/602190358/1002
Zhulin sees it slightly less personal, with a follow-the-money take on what goes on behind the scenes. "Everybody is tired of Russian dominance in figure skating, especially at the Torino Games where we could possibly sweep all four disciplines. People create lies to bring us down. Huge money is involved now with the American team having a shot at the podium, and they could make the sport very popular. What endorsements would exist if the Russians win ice dance? The Olympics are more politics than any other sporting event in the world."

mamo

Spectator
new_europe2006 said:

miki's dad died of a car accident, and when miki won her second national title she was wearing her dad's wedding ring on a necklace for luck. i think she really wants to make her dad proud at the olympics. miki always seem so happy and glamorous infront of the media, but this time when they mentioned her dad at the conference she couldn't hold back her tears.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
maruru said:
That's what I heard, too. By an accident.

Meanwhile (and I'm sorry if these are posted somewhere already), Miki showed her new costumes in today's practice. This one is for SP and this one is for LP.

Thanks for posting the links to the photos!

What is that red or pink peaking out on her right thigh in the LP dress??

Last edited: