Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Skaters Look Ready!

On the Ice
    They had a press conference. Three together there...

I couldn't find a full transcript, but here are some other quotes they said.

Fumie: "Passion, the theme of Turino Olympics, is what I want to express on the ice. I want to feel it, and I want to enjoy it. I'll give it all I've got and it would be wonderful if my performance makes the audience happy and excited."

She was also asked why she thought her country's female skating field was so deep, and she answered good rivalry among skaters motivated them to perform better.

Shizuka: "Things are gettng better and I'm becoming consistent. I think it was a very good decision to change programs. I'm feeling pretty good and comfortable with the new ones."

She also said Morozov and she hadn't changed much of the overall composition of the programs. But sounds like she is pretty happy about the decision.

The two admitted they felt some pressure (given Team Japan's medal drought), but they just wanted to bring the best to the game (who wouldn't , but go for it girls).

Miki, as the Yahoo article says, sounded just simply happy to be there, but she broke into tears asked about her deceased dad (she'd been Daddy's little girl).
    Last edited by maruru; 02-19-2006 at 06:39 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC
    I am glad they are practicing well but it is practice. I thought Shizuka said she wasn't going to do the 3/3/3? I worry that changing both her programs is going to screw her up. Miki with a totally new LP too. Fumie at least has the same two programs. Out of the three I'd like her to medal.
    Found another quote, or sorta like that (they are scattered all over different news sites as they selected what they liked to quote. Ugh). Sounds like Shizza confirmed she wouldn't do a 3/3/3 in her LP. Instead, she plans to have a 3 lutz-3 loop in the SP. That's her plan for now.

Quote Originally Posted by maruru
    Found another quote, or sorta like that (they are scattered all over different news sites as they selected what they liked to quote. Ugh). Sounds like Shizza confirmed she wouldn't do a 3/3/3 in her LP. Instead, she plans to have a 3 lutz-3 loop in the SP. That's her plan for now.
    They showed Shizuka doing a triple lutz triple loop on Olympic Ice last night and it looked clean as a whistle to me!

Medalist
    I know this is a dream, but I'd like to see the Japanese women sweep the podium. They have a mixture of techinical difficulty and beautiful artistry on the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by new_europe2006
    I know this is a dream, but I'd like to see the Japanese women sweep the podium. They have a mixture of techinical difficulty and beautiful artistry on the ice.
    I have no objection with this. lol. They do have a mixed lot. But politically this won't happen.

Now with the way dance competetion goes, the lady's competetion gets more and more interesting and complicated. On ice skating and off ice politics.

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel

Does Japan have any PAIRS or iICE DANCERS?

I don't think I've ever heard of any PAIRS or ICE DANCERS from JAPAN, do they have any?

GO, Shizuka!!!

Yes! Watanabe and Kido competed in the Original Dance just a couple of hours ago!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleflutz
    I don't think I've ever heard of any PAIRS or ICE DANCERS from JAPAN, do they have any?

GO, Shizuka!!!
    Look at the whole picture.
    Top Italy dance team now is out of medal position. Given Italy is the host country and $peedy from Italy, I expect Carolina Kostner will get a some of slack from judges (just look back how she was judged in 2004 worlds and a less extend 2005 worlds. the stage was setup for her since then). Now if judges have Russian, US, Japanese and Italian each to chose, which three do you think they will chose? Of course, assume they all skate comparably, especially with Japanese lady and Italian lady delivers.

I agree with a poster (Doris?) the figure skating in Olympics is all about politics. More so than in worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Look at the whole picture.
    Top Italy dance team now is out of medal position. Given Italy is the host country and $peedy from Italy, I expect Carolina Kostner will get a some of slack from judges (just look back how she was judged in 2004 worlds and a less extend 2005 worlds. the stage was setup for her since then). Now if judges have Russian, US, Japanese and Italian each to chose, which three do you think they will chose? Of course, assume they all skate comparably, especially with Japanese lady and Italian lady delivers.

I agree with a poster (Doris?) the figure skating in Olympics is all about politics. More so than in worlds.
    Don't forget that Carolina is a kick a$$ skater with 3-3s and *speed* and flow across the ice. Carolina was robbed big time in Moscow in the SP , that dismal efforts from Irina and Sasha beat a clean Carolina.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Don't forget that Carolina is a kick a$$ skater with 3-3s and *speed* and flow across the ice. Carolina was robbed big time in Moscow in the SP , that dismal efforts from Irina and Sasha beat a clean Carolina.
    Let's see if she skated like her 2004 worlds LP, will she be held up?

Not the droid you're looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I like all skaters equally, but some I like a teeny bit more equally than the rest. Go Fumie!

MM
    What Mathman said! I'm so glad they're all practicing well and I hope they all kick butt in competition! All three of these women are so special.
    Shizuka's nothing short of regal when she's at her best. I want to see her prove to herself that the gold in Dortmund wasn't a fluke.
    Miki has huge potential as long as she can find her own style - she's not quite there yet, but I see no reason why she can't get there, and soon.
    Fumie skates with a quiet joy that's always spoken to my heart. (Corny, yes, but there you go.) It's not the kind of emotionalism you'd find in, say, Michelle - where you're crying by the footwork sequence - but it's spellbinding nonetheless. Matt Savoie has a similar effect on me.
    And to think that there are several more back home with similar potential! As a skating fan, that just rocks my world.
    (*singing, to the tune of a possibly recognizable Beatles song*):
    I'm backing team Japan!
    I'm backing team Japan!
    xoxo
    Rave

Let's see if she skated like her 2004 worlds LP, will she be held up?
    I remember Caro's 2004 Worlds LP, it was dreadful. IIRC, she had two falls, a popped jump and some very juniorish moves (her layback made me cringe). I couldn't believe she got 5.8s and even one 5.9 for presentation with that mess. People talk about how the judges manipulate the PCS score, but it really wasn't so different with the 6.0 system's presentation scores. Though I do think her bronze at 2005 Worlds was fair.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-20-2006 at 03:05 PM.

ITA. The Olympics is very, very political. At Worlds the judges seem more likely to rate the performance on its own merits.

Shoe Diva
    Y'all are making excellent points but to be honest, since this olympics is turning out to be a splat fest with terrible skating... I'm throwing caution to the wind and shall root for DivaKwara... Just because of her Ina Bauer...

On the Ice
    WOW, just saw olympic ice episode 9 and they showed a clip of Shizuka practicing, she did a CLEAN triple lutz triple loop combo, hopefully she'll feel confident enough to perform it in both short and long!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast