I loved the Compulsory Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I loved the Compulsory Dance

Alsace

On the Ice
In the dim recesses of my mind, I thought there was a "Golden Waltz" or something attributed to Klimova and Ponamarenko (sp?). Is there a place to look up this sort of thing?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
The Golden Waltz is an International-level compulsory dance, first performed at the Moscow Cup in 1987, and it is credited to Natalia Dubova, Marina Klimova, and Sergei Ponomarenko. (Why yes, I keep my USFSA rulebook handy. Why do you ask?)

Honestly? I consider the long dresses appropriate. While Latin costumes do tend to look like something most strippers wouldn't be caught dead removing, in ballroom competition the waltz is danced in a long, flowing dress that covers everything above the ankles. In dance, in any case, what matters most is the knees and you can see what's going on fine. Honestly, my question is why women freestylers feel the need to have their @$$es hanging out in the air with skirts-that-are-barely-skirts.

Now, getting rid of feathers, that wouldn't bother me a bit....Chait's costume was molting all over the ice during their OD.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
As to G&P, one problem they have is that their speed is not up to the top pairs. Tracy Wilson AFAIR said they skated a bit far apart. 2 couples that are at Olympics, FP/M and Drobiazko/Vanagas weren't at worlds. AFAIR, G&P were 11th last year, both in the CD and overall, so that would put them 13th in my expectations. Which means 2 couples were jumped over them-Kerrs of GBr & Khoklova & Novitski, the 3rd place Russian pair, vs. last year?

One other reason for G&P being lower is that this dance showcases the lady, and Denis is the stronger of the 2-this dance doesn't highlight G&P's strengths. I so hope the Yankee Polka is the CD for worlds, because their polka is Excellent. Both G&P and B&A are better at the faster rhythms I think than they are at the waltzes.

thank you so much

I honestly don't remember Tracy talking about their CD at ALL the other night... all I remember is the Waltz history that she and Dick thought needed to be told instead of analyzing G/P's skate...

Vash01

Medalist
Sounds like the (number of) CD has gone down from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. I heard that the Russians want to get rid of CD entirely. Not sure why. I wish they would add at least a second CD instead.

Vash

I prefer the judges to judge the couples equally. The CD gives them that opportunity.

If Dance comes down to a short and long programs then I think Pairs should be eliminated. One of them will have to go. JMO

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I prefer the judges to judge the couples equally. The CD gives them that opportunity.

not according to what was said the other night... Tracy said that the lady was being looked at more than the guy because he was just basically there presenting her and she had all the footwork/difficulty...

I think the Yankee Polka is more balanced when it comes to who does what, but I don't really know because I'm an Ice Dance Dunce :rofl:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks, everyone!

It's really been illuminating reading these posts, and I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate everything I learn on this site. It adds a great deal to my enjoyment of the sport.
(*blows kisses*)
Rave