I loved the Compulsory Dance | Golden Skate

I loved the Compulsory Dance

In all the figure skating shows that I have seen on TV and attended in person, this is the first time I ever saw the Compulsory Dance segment. It is never shown on TV, and in competitons it is the least well attended event. (Tanith Belbin mentioned how different it felt to be skating a colmpulsory before a full house for the first time in her career.)

I was totally mesmerized. That was just so pretty. To me, the Ravensberger Waltz was way more entertaining that all that razzmataz that the competitors do in the Original and Free Dances.

They should have three segments like that. Say, the Waltz, the Cha-cha and the Quickstep. That would be great. (No, the Waltz, the Tango and the Swing.)

The other thing is, do away with all that business about judging and giving out marks. That doesn't contribute anything.

If I could skate, I would become an ice dancer (if I could dance.)

Mathman :)

Last edited:

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I loved that waltz. It is truly what ice dance used to represent. Not the flesh show and twizzle mania that it has become.
I dont know if I would have had the Italian team above some of the others but sometimes seeing it on tv as opposed to live gives you a different perspective.
I do however think B/A were shocked with their placement - however it is very tight and will likely change as the CD and FD take place. It will be fun to watch and if the US gets shut out of a medal in dance I dare say that things will be shaking at the federation.

rain

Record Breaker
I may not have agreed with the placements, but I always think it's a shame they rarely show the CD from competitions. I always find it enjoyable to watch the skaters truly dance. And it's an interesting way to start to be able to pick out some of what makes one team better than another.

It's what Dance should be all about. Each couple should skate 4 dances - one each night with different dances mandatory. A waltz, a latin American dance, a blues, a quickstep, e.g. A fifth dance could be added as an Original Dance. Just my take on real dancing on ice.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think the SPs should be set up like the CD. Everyone doing the same thing to the same music. There's plenty of time in the LPs for artistic expression. When I mentioned this before people said that it would be boring hearing the same music over and over. Guess it depends on the music?

Eowyn

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
It's what Dance should be all about. Each couple should skate 4 dances - one each night with different dances mandatory. A waltz, a latin American dance, a blues, a quickstep, e.g. A fifth dance could be added as an Original Dance. Just my take on real dancing on ice.

Joe

*applauds Joe*

My sentiments exacly.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
ITA. One CD just is not enough! I was upset when they dropped the 2nd CD from competitions, and I really get mad when I hear talk of dropping the CD alltogether! It really is the only way to fairly compare all of the skaters, and it makes it glaringly obvious who is/ is not technically proficient. Also, they are just plain beautiful to watch. And fun to skate!

DeBz

Rinkside
It's nice to see some variety in the placements with the new program. With the 6.0 system the rankings were the same for every event. Go Dubreuil and Lauzon!

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
In all the figure skating shows that I have seen on TV and attended in person, this is the first time I ever saw the Compulsory Dance segment. It is never shown on TV, and in competitons it is the least well attended event. (Tanith Belbin mentioned how different it felt to be skating a colmpulsory before a full house for the first time in her career.)

I was totally mesmerized. That was just so pretty. To me, the Ravensberger Waltz was way more entertaining that all that razzmataz that the competitors do in the Original and Free Dances.

They should have three segments like that. Say, the Waltz, the Cha-cha and the Quickstep. That would be great. (No, the Waltz, the Tango and the Swing.)

The other thing is, do away with all that business about judging and giving out marks. That doesn't contribute anything.

If I could skate, I would become an ice dancer (if I could dance.)

Mathman :)

CBS showed the compulsory dances in 92, 94, 98 (I can't remember 1988). NBC showed them in 2002 and 2006 (however, they only showed one of the two CD's this time). I have seen them live also and they are my most favorite part of the ice dance competition. They do have two different dances for the two CD segments (e.g. waltz and blues or starlight waltz & Argentine tango, and so on).

What I liked this time is that because of the COP we could see how close their skating skills really are (within 1 point, over several placements). It is hard to make relative placements as in the 6.0 system. That could be part of the reason we did not see much movement in the placements from CD to OD to FD. This time we will.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so what was the 2nd dance here in Torino, or did I not understand Vash's break down of how it works???

Can someone explain to me why G/P (USA) are in 15th, I mean I know they're not in the running for a medal... but I just want to know what makes them 15th in the waltz. Tracy and Dick were too busy giving us a history lesson (go figure, G/P get no respect from the commentators at NBC! *pouts*) so I just want it explained... they skate close together... I think they have great line and are fairly quick and light on their feet...

so what makes them not worth of a top 10?

Vash01

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
so what was the 2nd dance here in Torino, or did I not understand Vash's break down of how it works???

Can someone explain to me why G/P (USA) are in 15th, I mean I know they're not in the running for a medal... but I just want to know what makes them 15th in the waltz. Tracy and Dick were too busy giving us a history lesson (go figure, G/P get no respect from the commentators at NBC! *pouts*) so I just want it explained... they skate close together... I think they have great line and are fairly quick and light on their feet...

so what makes them not worth of a top 10?

Sorry, I just found out on another board that this year there is just one CD. I had thought that NBC had skipped the second CD. I used to like watching two different ones- they showed different styles.

I think this is a very competitive field. Since we did not get to see all the ice dancers, it is hard ot explain why G&P are 15th. May be someone that was present in the arena could explain?

Vash

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe
:rock: I'd be at that competition in a second

Linny

Final Flight
Multiple CDs

A competitions with multiple CDs and no free skating would be pretty much like ballroom dancing on ice (obviously). Ballroom dancing is not an Olympic sport.
Linny

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In 1984, and 1980, the CD's were shown. In 1984 there were 3 CD's performed, the Westminster Waltz, the Paso Doble, and the Rhumba. It was a little odd that the OSP was also the Paso Doble. All 3 of Jayne & Chris's CDs are amazing, but particularly the paso and the rhumba.

The 1988 CD's were shown, and B&B's superfast Kilian is also one for the ages. They also skated the Paso Doble and the Viennese Waltz.

In 1976, the first ice dance Olympics, the CD's were televised too.

(I love the CD's-but they are better viewed from a further back perspective than TV generally shows us so that you can see how the patterns compare.)

As to G&P, one problem they have is that their speed is not up to the top pairs. Tracy Wilson AFAIR said they skated a bit far apart. 2 couples that are at Olympics, FP/M and Drobiazko/Vanagas weren't at worlds. AFAIR, G&P were 11th last year, both in the CD and overall, so that would put them 13th in my expectations. Which means 2 couples were jumped over them-Kerrs of GBr & Khoklova & Novitski, the 3rd place Russian pair, vs. last year?

One other reason for G&P being lower is that this dance showcases the lady, and Denis is the stronger of the 2-this dance doesn't highlight G&P's strengths. I so hope the Yankee Polka is the CD for worlds, because their polka is Excellent. Both G&P and B&A are better at the faster rhythms I think than they are at the waltzes.

Last edited:
Linny said:
A competitions with multiple CDs and no free skating would be pretty much like ballroom dancing on ice (obviously). Ballroom dancing is not an Olympic sport.Linny
It was once that way. The addition of the Free Dance was to let the contestants attempt at the glory of Pairs, imo.

In additiion to multiple CD's which will show the technical aspects of many dance rythyms which the contestants are capable of executing (the SPORT), an addition of an Original Dance (Creatiity and Personal Performance) would bring about the total dancer to be judged.

It'll all be done on the ice and no comparison to the floor is necessary.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Well, this was my first time watching the CD's, I guess I just missed it those other times it was televised. I can honestly say I would totally follow dance if I could see all three phases of the comps on tv, and I really loved the CD's....great to watch!

Jasper

Final Flight
It was interesting to finally see a CD, but I prefer the originality and the innovativeness and the lifts involved in the last two phases!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I don't think the problem is the FD, or at least it wasn't until CoP turned it into a catchfoot-festival and all the footwork into twizzle turns (how hard are those? I taught MYSELF forward insides!) The problem is really that they changed the OD. It used to be the Original SET PATTERN Dance. You had to make up a set pattern. So you didn't get yet another round of everyone doing the exact same thing (they don't do that at international-level ballroom competition, why would they do it in ice dance?) but you do see the skaters have to repeat everything exactly. Some OSPs even became compulsories. It would be hideously dull to watch nothing but compulsories, over and over, and speaking as a dancer it would be even more boring to do, but having to create your own set pattern? Definitely more challenging. T&D's '84 OSP (the Paso Doble) may have been repeats of the same pattern, but it sure wasn't dull. The OD as it stands is turning into a mini FD, which means it might as well be replaced with another compulsory.

kaesie

Rinkside
competitive dance in my day

in my day, there were four compulsory dances and dancers
had to do three or four patterns of the dance, depending on the
dance.

try four patterns of the argentine tango and making the last
pattern as fresh and strong as the first...

they dropped the number of patterns and gradually reduced the number
of dances.

ice dancing is a cheesefest now.

a real dancer should be able to demonstrate ballroom, folk, jazz, modern,
flamenco, even ballet...

i was marked down because i did a russian folk dance and the judges
called it "mini-pairs..."

i rather do "mini-pairs" than bad nightclub act...

yes, ice dancing can be beautiful and sometimes a waltz
is the most beautiful of them all...:thumbsup:

and you're also right about the original set pattern dance. it was far
more difficult to invent an authentic dance. in fact the Ravensburger Waltz (by Eric and Angelica Buck) was one of 3 dances to be added as compulsories after
the 1976 competitive season. The other 2 were the Yankee Polka (by Jim & Judy Sladky & Ron Ludington) and the Tango Romantica (by Pakahomova and Gorschkov).
It was an honor for these Original Set Pattern Dances to be considered Compulsory dances. They had to be no frills and have a certain authenticity
in timing, edge work etc...

Now with the Original Dance being a pseudo-free dance there is far less inventiveness and care given to the choreography and it gets pretty boring.

And if they'd get rid of the long dresses...but I keep saying that...

was one of 3 dances (the yankee polka and tango roma

Linny

Final Flight
Ballroom and Ice Dancing

With Tivo, I was able to record both the Olys and American's Ballroom Dancing Challenge... and watch them one after another. There certainly are elements of similarity. Anyway, I recommend you all check your listings for the ballroom dancing on PBS - don't let the cheesefest of a dancing competition on network television be your guide.
Linny