Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I loved the Compulsory Dance

Custom Title
    Well, this was my first time watching the CD's, I guess I just missed it those other times it was televised. I can honestly say I would totally follow dance if I could see all three phases of the comps on tv, and I really loved the CD's....great to watch!

Custom Title
    It was interesting to finally see a CD, but I prefer the originality and the innovativeness and the lifts involved in the last two phases!

Ballroom Baby
    I don't think the problem is the FD, or at least it wasn't until CoP turned it into a catchfoot-festival and all the footwork into twizzle turns (how hard are those? I taught MYSELF forward insides!) The problem is really that they changed the OD. It used to be the Original SET PATTERN Dance. You had to make up a set pattern. So you didn't get yet another round of everyone doing the exact same thing (they don't do that at international-level ballroom competition, why would they do it in ice dance?) but you do see the skaters have to repeat everything exactly. Some OSPs even became compulsories. It would be hideously dull to watch nothing but compulsories, over and over, and speaking as a dancer it would be even more boring to do, but having to create your own set pattern? Definitely more challenging. T&D's '84 OSP (the Paso Doble) may have been repeats of the same pattern, but it sure wasn't dull. The OD as it stands is turning into a mini FD, which means it might as well be replaced with another compulsory.

On the Ice

competitive dance in my day

in my day, there were four compulsory dances and dancers
    had to do three or four patterns of the dance, depending on the
    dance.

try four patterns of the argentine tango and making the last
    pattern as fresh and strong as the first...

they dropped the number of patterns and gradually reduced the number
    of dances.

ice dancing is a cheesefest now.

a real dancer should be able to demonstrate ballroom, folk, jazz, modern,
    flamenco, even ballet...

i was marked down because i did a russian folk dance and the judges
    called it "mini-pairs..."

i rather do "mini-pairs" than bad nightclub act...

yes, ice dancing can be beautiful and sometimes a waltz
    is the most beautiful of them all...

and you're also right about the original set pattern dance. it was far
    more difficult to invent an authentic dance. in fact the Ravensburger Waltz (by Eric and Angelica Buck) was one of 3 dances to be added as compulsories after
    the 1976 competitive season. The other 2 were the Yankee Polka (by Jim & Judy Sladky & Ron Ludington) and the Tango Romantica (by Pakahomova and Gorschkov).
    It was an honor for these Original Set Pattern Dances to be considered Compulsory dances. They had to be no frills and have a certain authenticity
    in timing, edge work etc...

Now with the Original Dance being a pseudo-free dance there is far less inventiveness and care given to the choreography and it gets pretty boring.

And if they'd get rid of the long dresses...but I keep saying that...

was one of 3 dances (the yankee polka and tango roma

Custom Title

Ballroom and Ice Dancing

With Tivo, I was able to record both the Olys and American's Ballroom Dancing Challenge... and watch them one after another. There certainly are elements of similarity. Anyway, I recommend you all check your listings for the ballroom dancing on PBS - don't let the cheesefest of a dancing competition on network television be your guide.
    Linny

I should be studying!
    In the dim recesses of my mind, I thought there was a "Golden Waltz" or something attributed to Klimova and Ponamarenko (sp?). Is there a place to look up this sort of thing?

Ballroom Baby
    The Golden Waltz is an International-level compulsory dance, first performed at the Moscow Cup in 1987, and it is credited to Natalia Dubova, Marina Klimova, and Sergei Ponomarenko. (Why yes, I keep my USFSA rulebook handy. Why do you ask?)

Honestly? I consider the long dresses appropriate. While Latin costumes do tend to look like something most strippers wouldn't be caught dead removing, in ballroom competition the waltz is danced in a long, flowing dress that covers everything above the ankles. In dance, in any case, what matters most is the knees and you can see what's going on fine. Honestly, my question is why women freestylers feel the need to have their @$$es hanging out in the air with skirts-that-are-barely-skirts.

Now, getting rid of feathers, that wouldn't bother me a bit....Chait's costume was molting all over the ice during their OD.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    As to G&P, one problem they have is that their speed is not up to the top pairs. Tracy Wilson AFAIR said they skated a bit far apart. 2 couples that are at Olympics, FP/M and Drobiazko/Vanagas weren't at worlds. AFAIR, G&P were 11th last year, both in the CD and overall, so that would put them 13th in my expectations. Which means 2 couples were jumped over them-Kerrs of GBr & Khoklova & Novitski, the 3rd place Russian pair, vs. last year?

One other reason for G&P being lower is that this dance showcases the lady, and Denis is the stronger of the 2-this dance doesn't highlight G&P's strengths. I so hope the Yankee Polka is the CD for worlds, because their polka is Excellent. Both G&P and B&A are better at the faster rhythms I think than they are at the waltzes.
    thank you so much

I honestly don't remember Tracy talking about their CD at ALL the other night... all I remember is the Waltz history that she and Dick thought needed to be told instead of analyzing G/P's skate...

Custom Title
    Sounds like the (number of) CD has gone down from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. I heard that the Russians want to get rid of CD entirely. Not sure why. I wish they would add at least a second CD instead.

Vash

I prefer the judges to judge the couples equally. The CD gives them that opportunity.

If Dance comes down to a short and long programs then I think Pairs should be eliminated. One of them will have to go. JMO

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I prefer the judges to judge the couples equally. The CD gives them that opportunity.
    not according to what was said the other night... Tracy said that the lady was being looked at more than the guy because he was just basically there presenting her and she had all the footwork/difficulty...

I think the Yankee Polka is more balanced when it comes to who does what, but I don't really know because I'm an Ice Dance Dunce

Not the droid you're looking for

Thanks, everyone!

It's really been illuminating reading these posts, and I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate everything I learn on this site. It adds a great deal to my enjoyment of the sport.
    (*blows kisses*)
    Rave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2