GREAT Jeff Buttle article! | Golden Skate

GREAT Jeff Buttle article!

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/2006Games/2006/02/18/1449802-sun.html

Seems like a great guy and someone I could have fun hanging out with. I hope he does COI this summer. I especially like:

Thankfully, Canada's newest figure skating star wears success well.
Buttle is an 'aw, shucks' kind of guy.
Sincere, appreciative, even a bit sugary, Buttle is never cocky.
Never says the wrong thing.
He even laughs nicely.
The 23-year-old inspires giddiness in others.
"I could just put you on a cracker," one woman at the party said to him.

Weir should take some attitude lessons from Buttle and Lambiel.

76olympics

On the Ice
"I could just put you on a cracker," one woman at the party said to him.

What a quote! Thanks for posting this article! Hurrah for Jeff--he does seem like a good guy.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I think that Jeff has a bright future. Discounting the jumps he is my favorite skater in the men's event. The qualities that make him great will be a big draw in shows/exhibitions.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
I think that Jeff has a bright future. Discounting the jumps he is my favorite skater in the men's event. The qualities that make him great will make him popular in shows/exhibitions.

He gets a lot of flack for being a bad jumper, but actually, he's pretty consistent. I know, he's not flawless often, however he routinely skates more difficult programs than anyone else and I appreciate that he challenges himself. I am frustrated, however, that he can't seem to master that quad! Since he first landed it in competition in 2003 I've been waiting for him to become consistent on it — he always gets the full rotation, so he's almost there.
But that's really not what I wanted to comment on, lol. I wanted to agree with you that he's one of my favorite skaters to watch as well. He reminds me a great deal of Kurt Browning (that's a huge compliment from me).
I'm looking forward to the Olympics exhibitions. He did a great new one at Canadians to Fix You by Coldplay - gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous and suited him to a "T".
Actually I was cheering throughout the competition for him to finish high enough to be in the televised exhibitions.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
rain said:
I wanted to agree with you that he's one of my favorite skaters to watch as well. He reminds me a great deal of Kurt Browning (that's a huge compliment from me).
He reminds me of Kurt Browning also (of whom I was also a fan), particularly in the footwork and overall superior performance quality. Though choreographically in general, I think Buttle/Wilson are uniquely original. I could not imagine Kurt skating to Naqoyqatsi. Bits of Jeff's style remind me slightly of Paul Wylie (another favorite of mine), though Wylie was more introverted. Weir might be a better comparison to Wylie.

With Jeff I am mesmerized by the spins, footwork, edging, overall choreography/MITF and musicality, which says a lot about the quality of his skating. As Dick said, he is a "dancer on the ice."

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the link to this article. Jeff is my favorite Olympic elgible men's skater, and I love what he puts out on the ice ( :clap: for artistry!), but I also admire his off-ice behavior (I guess that also explains why I'm a fan of Todd, Kurt, Matt, both Brians, Elvis, & Paul). Sure, I'd love to see him have flawless programs (I don't care about quads), but I feel he more than makes up for that with everything else.

I don't think Jeff can do the COI tour this season. He'll be doing the Canadian SOI tour. Personally, I hope he gets to tour with the US SOI tour some day!

Last edited:

Shanti

On the Ice
Thanks for the link!

Jeff is my favourite eligible skater and he seems to be such a lovely and amiable person :)

ceg15

On the Ice
Great article, thanks for posting it!!! He's just such a nice, sweet guy and I'm so, so proud of him, he's so deserving :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed his skate during the long program....so deserving of a place on the Oly podium...........42

peachy

Rinkside
that was a great article, thanx for the link to it!! i am so glad that he did so well!!

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Great article... I'd take this kind of polite and sincere humility over thoughtless honesty anyday. Hope this medal gives him even more confidence going into Worlds. Go Jeff!! :clap: