Evan made quiet an impression in Russia with his LP | Golden Skate

Evan made quiet an impression in Russia with his LP

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I was on the phone all morning with my friends in Russia, discussing the latest Olympic developments, and every single one of them started of by celebrating Plushy's win of course, but then gushed about Evan for twice as long. Apparently people were discussing it at work, schools (one of my friends is a teacher), etc.. Nobody felt Evan got overmarked in the LP.

I was very pleased to hear that Russians loved his performance, b/c more often then not I read (forum, newspapers..) that Russians don't appreicate NA style of skating - which I never found to be the case, well and here is more proof! Peggy and Dick would mention here and there that Russians like Johnny but that's about it.

Anyways, great job Evan!

76olympics

On the Ice
That is so interesting! I actually wondered how the Russians felt about Evan and Matt's performances and that is great to hear that they thought Evan's efforts were so praiseworthy! I thought it was a gutsy and vibrant performance and one of the highlights of the competition. Matt is my favorite overall but I gained a lot of respect for Evan. He is developing style and maturity very rapidly and I think he will really benefit from his Olympic experience.

You have to note that Plushenko is the toughest competitor. He has learned how to handle the pressure and did deserve the medal!

(PS -Did they say anything about Matt?)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ah...completely forgot o discuss Matt. Maybe because he wasn't shown? Though I got an impression that the whole thing was being shown in Russia, even the entire compulsories (and we did spent a lot of time bashing Italian's placement :biggrin: ). I can't believe we didn't talk about him! I would suspect that Matt's elegant and artistic style would be very much appreciated by the Russians. I think Evan made more of an impression because of the way he rebounded after the short.

I will certainly bring Matt up next week.

We discussed a lot of hockey too..:rock:

kyla2

Final Flight
Nice To Hear

This is so nice to hear! I thought Evan was wonderful too and skated beautifully. He deserves alot of credit.

STL_Blues_fan said:
I was on the phone all morning with my friends in Russia, discussing the latest Olympic developments, and every single one of them started of by celebrating Plushy's win of course, but then gushed about Evan for twice as long. Apparently people were discussing it at work, schools (one of my friends is a teacher), etc.. Nobody felt Evan got overmarked in the LP.

I was very pleased to hear that Russians loved his performance, b/c more often then not I read (forum, newspapers..) that Russians don't appreicate NA style of skating - which I never found to be the case, well and here is more proof! Peggy and Dick would mention here and there that Russians like Johnny but that's about it.

Anyways, great job Evan!
There should not be any doubt that some Americans not only like certain Russian skaters but also LOVE Russian skatters. I'm not so sure if Russian fans go beyond liking other skaters. I don't have a problem with that but I think it should be noted when comparing national fans of figure skating.

Yes, Evan had a very special LP. He also made me perk up to a Carmen where Don Jose was the model and not the Toreador.

Joe

Shanti

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan, your right!

I'm from Russia and I also liked Evan's performance A LOT (and generally I'm not a huge fan). And all of my friends loved it too.

As to Matt, yes, he was shown on TV... I haven't heard anyone's opinion on him and I for one wasn't particulary impressed by his skating.

nymkfan51

Medalist
That's nice to hear, and very well deserved!!! :clap:

Evan did himself a world of good with that freeskate. He took what could have been a totally disastrous Olympics and turned it into a positive. He sets himself up well for Worlds and for next season. Also, he has gained invaluable experience for 2010 if he makes it to Vancouver.
I'm just delighted for him ... he is a very nice young man. :rock:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
He made an impression me too, I never really cared for him before and I don't really like him in interviews (he's soooo courageous! lol)
but I have to give him props!
:bow: