Joannie Rochette_how Will She Do | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette_how Will She Do

millie

Medalist
In all the conservations about all the girls in the upcoming competition on Tuesday, Joannie's name is seldom mentioned. As a Canadian, I would love for Joannie to medal, any color, it doesn't matter. But, what are your opinions on her chances of medaling. I know that there is a strong ladies field in figure skating from other contries but do you think that she has a chance.

I think she is a strong contender for a top six finish. As for a medal, I don't know, the podium is getting awfully crowded with Irina, Sasha, Carolina and the three Japanese ladies.

MM

peachy

Rinkside
I would also love love love for Joannie Rochette to medal, but since there are so many medal contenders, and the field is so deep, I just hope that she puts out two great performances, and that she does the best that she can.

mzheng

Record Breaker
She will place higher than Kimmie and Emily.
Heck if Mria Leung was really that good at Canada Nationals, she may be placed higher than Kimmie and Emily. Maybe not Kimmie, but above Emily.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I mentioned her in that thread.:)

She's a beautiful skater. :love: The jumps flow in and out so smoothly. She hasn't been having a very consistent year. The judges don't seem to think she's deserving of the higher levels of PCS which is unfortunate and could keep her out of the medals in Torino. I think Kimmie Meissner has really improved this year and will have a good showing. I think Joannie's best shot this year will be in Calgary.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I love Joannie's skating. She's just lovely. I do agree with Mathman ... a podium spot for her would be a bit optimistic, but she could certainly break the top 6 with 2 great skates.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It will be up to Joannie in the end to show us what she's got. One must remember it's not what you're capable of, but what you do in those six minutes that determines whether you deserve a medal or not. (Hopefully, anyway.)

CDMM1991

Medalist
A top six finish at the Olympics would be great for Joannie. It would set her up perfectly to place highly, if not medal at Worlds in Calgary, especially since, as we've seen with F-P&M, the home country advantage does seem to impact the PCS scores.

I think her problem last year was that she had the skate of her season two months too early. Even if she had had two or three mistakes in the long program, she still would have won the competition comfortably, and it might have put a bit more of a competitive fire in her to improve on that at Worlds, versus having an absolutely perfect skate, and then having nowhere to go but down at Worlds.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I think her problem last year was that she had the skate of her season two months too early. Even if she had had two or three mistakes in the long program, she still would have won the competition comfortably, and it might have put a bit more of a competitive fire in her to improve on that at Worlds, versus having an absolutely perfect skate, and then having nowhere to go but down at Worlds

I don't know if she peaked too early but most skaters have one bad skate in a season and she hadn't. Unfortunately he rone bad skate cam ewhen she needed a good skate most (and it wasn't even that bad, just bad compared to the absolute show she put on at Canadians).

mzheng

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I think her problem last year was that she had the skate of her season two months too early. Even if she had had two or three mistakes in the long program, she still would have won the competition comfortably, and it might have put a bit more of a competitive fire in her to improve on that at Worlds, versus having an absolutely perfect skate, and then having nowhere to go but down at Worlds.
That's what I thought about her last year.

She hasn't been having a very consistent year.
She may save the best for Olympics this year.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
She may save the best for Olympics this year.

I hope so. I'd love to see her skate like she did at Canadians last year and knock their socks off in Torino. She was so good that competition, I was in tears at the end of the LP!

sk8addict

On the Ice
new program

I wish Joannie had stayed with last years Firebird program. It seemed more Olympic than the new one & brought out her artistic ability much more IMO. I'll be rooting for her anyway. Love her skating.

millie

Medalist
I hope she do have a good skate at the Olympics. She is one of the best ladies skaters that we've had for awhile. I liked Jennifer Robertson but she wasn't my favourite. Hopefully next yeat we will have two, Joannie and Mira. Mia hasn't grown up yet. She seems to be a mommy's girl for now.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Especially given her disaster at 2005 Worlds, I don't see her on the podium. However, a Top 6 finish is completely within her grasp and would set her up well for the future.

ceg15

On the Ice
I hope Joannie does great, she works so hard and deserves it. Especially now after Michelle pulling out, there's more of a chance that she can make the podium...if it all...she'll probably be 3rd, but that's still good. Since her and Jeff are such good friends he'll probably be giving her a little pep talk :) They always mimmick eachother's placements at competitions, so that would be good in Torino...

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I like her skating. She's got it all but I do not think she'll medal. It's the PCS thing. The judges just won't give her the scores she deserves. Maybe top six.