Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Mango Weir whine of the Week

Johnny Mango Weir whine of the Week

Down With It

Old school Tim fan
    Best thing I read all day!

Tripping on the Podium
    That's a funny article. Thanks for the laugh!

On the Ice
    To funny!!!! :chorus:

Custom Title
    I totally empathize with how Weir feels. Sometimes you just know that things aren't going to work out for you by the look and "feel" of the location. I've certainly felt black in certain locations and sometimes the design of a venue can suck out all your energy.

Johnny should skate an exhibition to Everything But The Girl's "Missing." It's Mango's Theme!
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-19-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Custom Title

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I totally empathize with how Weir feels. Sometimes you just know that things aren't going to work out for you by the look and "feel" of the location. I've certainly felt black in certain locations and sometimes the design of a venue can suck out all your energy.
    Thanks for the empathy. Torino is just Johnny's international Dallas 2003. He will overcome this too. I had gotten excited when I heard he was going back to last years program but I knew it was a mistake as soon as I saw last years costume. It seemed drab compared to this years just like the program. Looking forward to seeing him at Worlds. Thanks again soogar. A queer as Weir Sashist
    Last edited by sk8addict; 02-20-2006 at 12:46 AM.

What would Brian Boitano do?
    I love the line "I felt black inside." Such the poet. Several articles have been pretty harsh on Johnny, but others have been quite complimentary.

Selena Roberts at nytimes.com called it much differently (the columnists at nytimes.com are now pay-to-read, so I'll just give a few excerpts):
    "As usual, he was candid while unveiling the reasons for his flaws on the ice, using the occasional punch line to lighten the mood and defuse his disappointment.
    ...[She mentions Rudy Galindo's comments, the speculation about his orientation, Johnny growing up]
    He is 21. But in his crestfallen state last night, he seemed to grow up. Weir took his disappointment with grace, lauding his Russian idol, Yevgeny Plushenko, for winning the gold medal in a runaway performance.
    his own way, Weir was making up for the maturity gap by handling his performance debacle with the same openness that he treated his success after the short program put his name in headlines.

"I was thinking too much," Weir said. "I'm disappointed with the way I skated, but not with missing a medal."
    "I didn't feel into the ice," Weir said. "I had a transportation problem, but that's just an excuse."

He blamed himself in the end. In the month since he won the United States nationals, Weir had been nothing but perky, a joy. Last night he was refreshing even in his dark moment."

p.s. Loved the honorable mentions in the msnbc article, particularly Chad Hedrick.

Maybe the arena had bad Feng Shui and that kept Johnny from being able to channel his inner ice princess?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Maybe the arena had bad Feng Shui and that kept Johnny from being able to channel his inner ice princess?
    Piel, Little does anyone know he couldn't feel peace was because he lost Camille for a few days.

Dee

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Or perhaps excessive Pine-Sol fumes made a bad impression on his brain chemistry. These things can happen...

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    Weir cracks me up... I can picture him following his own press, which I dont think a lot of elite skaters do. And I can just imagine the faintest hint of a smile peering out from behind a little espresso cup which he would be holding so daintily... as he read a blurb like this one. This guy lets things roll of him like a duck in water, and I think that attitude will help him have a long and triumphant career. If only he could find that inner peace though...

"The Missing Aura". That'll do it

Joe

Custom Title
    You know, I read all the way to the bottom of the piece before I realized the writter wasn't talking about Emanual Sandhu!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast