Johnny Mango Weir whine of the Week | Golden Skate

Johnny Mango Weir whine of the Week

soogar

Record Breaker
I totally empathize with how Weir feels. Sometimes you just know that things aren't going to work out for you by the look and "feel" of the location. I've certainly felt black in certain locations and sometimes the design of a venue can suck out all your energy.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Johnny should skate an exhibition to Everything But The Girl's "Missing." It's Mango's Theme!

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
thanks

soogar said:
I totally empathize with how Weir feels. Sometimes you just know that things aren't going to work out for you by the look and "feel" of the location. I've certainly felt black in certain locations and sometimes the design of a venue can suck out all your energy.
Thanks for the empathy. Torino is just Johnny's international Dallas 2003. He will overcome this too. I had gotten excited when I heard he was going back to last years program but I knew it was a mistake as soon as I saw last years costume. It seemed drab compared to this years just like the program. Looking forward to seeing him at Worlds. Thanks again soogar. A queer as Weir Sashist:biggrin:

Last edited:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I love the line "I felt black inside." Such the poet. Several articles have been pretty harsh on Johnny, but others have been quite complimentary.

Selena Roberts at nytimes.com called it much differently (the columnists at nytimes.com are now pay-to-read, so I'll just give a few excerpts):
"As usual, he was candid while unveiling the reasons for his flaws on the ice, using the occasional punch line to lighten the mood and defuse his disappointment.
...[She mentions Rudy Galindo's comments, the speculation about his orientation, Johnny growing up]
He is 21. But in his crestfallen state last night, he seemed to grow up. Weir took his disappointment with grace, lauding his Russian idol, Yevgeny Plushenko, for winning the gold medal in a runaway performance.
his own way, Weir was making up for the maturity gap by handling his performance debacle with the same openness that he treated his success after the short program put his name in headlines.

"I was thinking too much," Weir said. "I'm disappointed with the way I skated, but not with missing a medal."
"I didn't feel into the ice," Weir said. "I had a transportation problem, but that's just an excuse."

He blamed himself in the end. In the month since he won the United States nationals, Weir had been nothing but perky, a joy. Last night he was refreshing even in his dark moment."​

p.s. Loved the honorable mentions in the msnbc article, particularly Chad Hedrick.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Maybe the arena had bad Feng Shui and that kept Johnny from being able to channel his inner ice princess?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
Maybe the arena had bad Feng Shui and that kept Johnny from being able to channel his inner ice princess?
Piel, :laugh: :laugh: Little does anyone know he couldn't feel peace was because he lost Camille for a few days.

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Or perhaps excessive Pine-Sol fumes made a bad impression on his brain chemistry. These things can happen... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Weir cracks me up... I can picture him following his own press, which I dont think a lot of elite skaters do. And I can just imagine the faintest hint of a smile peering out from behind a little espresso cup which he would be holding so daintily... as he read a blurb like this one. This guy lets things roll of him like a duck in water, and I think that attitude will help him have a long and triumphant career. If only he could find that inner peace though... :rofl:

lotusland

On the Ice
You know, I read all the way to the bottom of the piece before I realized the writter wasn't talking about Emanual Sandhu! ;)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If hulking men with bats can have mojo, then a skater who lands on the edge of a blade can have mojo, too.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
I find this very unkind. Johnny is not the first athlete to have an opportunity slip away, nor will he be the last. He may be more open in expressing how he felt. It is not unusual to have an intuition, a feeling, at a certain time. The vibes just don't feel right. Sometimes a skater is able to overcome it with sheer will power, delivering what is needed, but not his/her best skate. Johnny did not get the medal this time. So what? It's not like he was falling all over the place. I don't think he deserves to be ridiculed. He seems to have become the new punching bag of our media.

Vash

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
My clock radio switched on Friday morning at 4:30 and what was the first thing I heard? The exact quotes we're discussing here. Johnny said, "I wasn't feeling my aura", and I thought, "Looks like Ravyn has a new custom title!"
Seriously, though, who hasn't said lame things when disappointed in oneself? I respect a guy who can try to be entertaining when he's down. I hope he comes back strong at Worlds and performs to his (amazing) potential.
xoxo
Rave

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ravyn, you have to work Camille in your signature or somewhere. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee