CoP: points for falls | Page 2 | Golden Skate

CoP: points for falls

mzheng

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
While i agree with you about the SP I diagree about the LP - the official rule book said (now i'm paraphrasing but i'm fairly sure i'm prtty much spot on with the language) that a failed quad jump should be given no more credit than successful double jump. Strictly speaking that's not no credit that's the same as a clean double. Now i realise at the moment that a failed quad is about as good as an clean easier base triple and agree that something should be done but it is a misconception that the old system didn't reward failed jumps.

Plus there's the small matter of the judges just giving one mark out for technical. If a judge gives a 5.8 then how do we know how much weight they may or may not have given a failed quad?

Ant
I'm just talking about the CoP system in general comparision with 6.0 system, which has been used so long. So when a new system is developed, you have to use some standard ones as bench mark. In this case it is the old 6.0 system, since it has been used so long. in 6.0 system, While you step out or two footed quad might get some credit in 6.0 system, but a falled quad definetely got no credit from judges.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Engwaciriel said:
I seriously doubt that any skater would go in with the aim of falling on a jump..hasn't Jeff sucessfully landed a quad before? Unless you know u have a chance at making the jump it's not very wise to do it considering what will happen if you're not fully rotated. Takahashi didn't rotate his jump enough, and ended up getting 1 point for it, I don't think that try paid off for him..
Jeff said in one of his interview that his quad is about 50% landing rate in practice, and that was not even in program contents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I agree that there is little incentive to perform a flawless but perhaps not technically daring performance if they are going to award people for falls on quads. I am sooo irritated with the transparency of the system when it comes to the PCS marks. The judges are definately using this set of marks to hold people up. Both Plushy and Irina were stunning in the SP, but his lead was insurmountable which frustrates me! It takes out the element of competition. And there is NO way that irina should be within 3 tenths of sasha when you look at their coreography.

I hope they tweak things a bit.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Well, that raises an interesting point. CoP already mandates a -1 pt. penalty for a fall plus -3 GOE. What is the definition of a "fall" in the CoP rulebook? Or is it completely under the discretion of the technical caller? If "falling" is not clearly defined, then it should be. In the example that you gave, I would have to see it live to make a decision. If it was just just both hands brushing against the ice with a wild free leg, I would be tempted to give it credit with -3 GOE. If some other part of their body made contact with the ice (arm, leg, both feet, etc.) I would probably treat it as a fall and give it a goose egg.

Yes that's why its so difficult - i'm inclined to agree with you on teh brushing of both hands down...i was thinking more along the lines of both hand go down and take all the weight to stop you going down...i would even count one hand where the skater forceably pushes against he ice to get themselves back up again - i little like Joubert's quad.

[/QUOTE]You are correct, I would not have given Buttle's quad fall any credit and Jeff is my favorite current man. The problem isn't Jeff, the problem is the system. Jeff just competed intelligently based on the rules, which is more than I can say for some others.[/QUOTE]

Sorry i didnt' mean ti imply you were harping on Jeff - i was just referring to a proper fall - bum on ice no questions fall and sinc we weer discussing Jeff it seemed appropriate!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I'm just talking about the CoP system in general comparision with 6.0 system, which has been used so long. So when a new system is developed, you have to use some standard ones as bench mark. In this case it is the old 6.0 system, since it has been used so long. in 6.0 system, While you step out or two footed quad might get some credit in 6.0 system, but a falled quad definetely got no credit from judges.

Seriously though under 6.0 a fall on a quad did get credit from the judges - the rule book clearly states that a judge should give it no more credit than a successfull double jump. If its in the rules that pretty clear...i'm struggling to find any internet references to old 6.0 rules now though.

Ant

Sasha_4_The_Win

Rinkside
I agree jumps that are fallen on should not get credit. Its a failed attempt.... it makes no sense to award credit for 'full rotation' when you land on your butt.

Linny

Final Flight
Credit

Under 6.0, IMO, a fall on a quad totally DID get credit. Remember, specific elements weren't scored, so it's difficult to prove that one way or another, but - honestly - you must remember the many 6.0 programs with quad attempts that were placed ahead of non-fall programs without quad attempts.

Really, methinks the focus here is on the wrong mark. So, you get points for a failed quad attempt, what, something like 5 points? Big deal. We're talking about 5 points in a 60 TES program.

It's the PCS scores that need serious tweaking. Under which PCS score is program flow marked? For that score, the fall needs to be deducted.

Same thing with the transition scores... a fall means that the transition to the next element was not executed, thus a deduction there.

When a program that involves cross-over, cross-over, cross-over, jump, cross-over, (ignore music) cross-over, cross-over, jump can get the same PCS scores as one that is choreographed to the music, has inventive moves, flow and beauty, then a focus on a failed quad seems to be misplaced.

Linny

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
After reading everyone's opinions, I would support NOT giving credit for jumps resulting in a fall, but don't call it a jump either - in other words allow skater to try again without exceeding the jump limit.

sk8addict

On the Ice
smart

Ptichka said:
After reading everyone's opinions, I would support NOT giving credit for jumps resulting in a fall, but don't call it a jump either - in other words allow skater to try again without exceeding the jump limit.
That's a great idea!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Ptichka said:

That sounds like an interesting idea. Of course throwing in new jumps and changing the program would mean removing some of the skating components
so if extra jumps had to be thrown in, the component mark would be expected to drop.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
That sounds like an interesting idea. Of course throwing in new jumps and changing the program would mean removing some of the skating components
so if extra jumps had to be thrown in, the component mark would be expected to drop.
Sure. However, consider this possibility. A skater has already done 1 triple axel. He/she falls on the second axel. They have a triple salchow planned down the road. As it is now, they cannot do an axel instead of a salchow because that would mean a 3d axel. With what I suggest, they could.

It could be even more dramatic with combos. Suppose a skater falls on a second part of a combo jump. I suggest judges would only consider the first jump of the combo (with perhaps a lower GoE). A skater could then tack on a second jump to one of the other jumps - turn it into a combo without exceeding the limit. If the did that today, not only would they not get credit for the second combo, they would not even get credit for the first jump of the second combo because the whole thing is only looked on as one unit.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I agree with those who say going splat on the ice should not result in any score what so ever. That makes no sense and is beyond rediculous. But falls should be deducted (i think) if it results in some sort of disruption to the program.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I think that is a good idea also. Skaters had the right to retry triples under 6.0, why not CoP? Now all we need is a way to force our views on the ISU ... :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
But if the skater is allowed to try again (and is successful), that would effectively negate the fall, right? And if you fall, points should actually be taken AWAY in addition to getting no credit for the jump.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
This will be very fair and comparable to the concept of 6.0.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
But if the skater is allowed to try again (and is successful), that would effectively negate the fall, right? And if you fall, points should actually be taken AWAY in addition to getting no credit for the jump.
This will be where -1 deduction in overall score. This one currently applys to all type of fall in program. Not just fall from the jump.

K-Mo

On the Ice
At the beginning of the season, I heard some commentator (don't remember who) say that you'd see a lot less falling with CoP because it jurt your program so much. Um--WRONG! I think that if they don't tweak the system some more, it will hurt figure skating in the long run. What we have now is a splatfest on ice and more injured athletes than I've seen in a long time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Isn't that understandable during such a major transition? The face of skating is changing. I think once you have new skaters who grow up competing under the new system, things will slow down.