Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CoP: points for falls

Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    That sounds like an interesting idea. Of course throwing in new jumps and changing the program would mean removing some of the skating components
    so if extra jumps had to be thrown in, the component mark would be expected to drop.
    Sure. However, consider this possibility. A skater has already done 1 triple axel. He/she falls on the second axel. They have a triple salchow planned down the road. As it is now, they cannot do an axel instead of a salchow because that would mean a 3d axel. With what I suggest, they could.

It could be even more dramatic with combos. Suppose a skater falls on a second part of a combo jump. I suggest judges would only consider the first jump of the combo (with perhaps a lower GoE). A skater could then tack on a second jump to one of the other jumps - turn it into a combo without exceeding the limit. If the did that today, not only would they not get credit for the second combo, they would not even get credit for the first jump of the second combo because the whole thing is only looked on as one unit.

Custom Title
    I agree with those who say going splat on the ice should not result in any score what so ever. That makes no sense and is beyond rediculous. But falls should be deducted (i think) if it results in some sort of disruption to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    After reading everyone's opinions, I would support NOT giving credit for jumps resulting in a fall, but don't call it a jump either - in other words allow skater to try again without exceeding the jump limit.
    I think that is a good idea also. Skaters had the right to retry triples under 6.0, why not CoP? Now all we need is a way to force our views on the ISU ...

Down With It
    But if the skater is allowed to try again (and is successful), that would effectively negate the fall, right? And if you fall, points should actually be taken AWAY in addition to getting no credit for the jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    After reading everyone's opinions, I would support NOT giving credit for jumps resulting in a fall, but don't call it a jump either - in other words allow skater to try again without exceeding the jump limit.
    This will be very fair and comparable to the concept of 6.0.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    But if the skater is allowed to try again (and is successful), that would effectively negate the fall, right? And if you fall, points should actually be taken AWAY in addition to getting no credit for the jump.
    This will be where -1 deduction in overall score. This one currently applys to all type of fall in program. Not just fall from the jump.

Custom Title
    At the beginning of the season, I heard some commentator (don't remember who) say that you'd see a lot less falling with CoP because it jurt your program so much. Um--WRONG! I think that if they don't tweak the system some more, it will hurt figure skating in the long run. What we have now is a splatfest on ice and more injured athletes than I've seen in a long time.

Down With It
    Isn't that understandable during such a major transition? The face of skating is changing. I think once you have new skaters who grow up competing under the new system, things will slow down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3