Some positive press for Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

Some positive press for Johnny Weir

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Lest you think it's all bad out there...

These articles discuss Johnny. They have nice things to say about him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021602450.html

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/bay_area_sports/2006/02/why_i_love_mens.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/news?slug=dw-weir021606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The most positive article is by Selena Roberts of the nytimes, but it's part of their new pay op-ed/columnist section.

Here's a couple of quotes:
As usual, he was candid while unveiling the reasons for his flaws on the ice, using the occasional punch line to lighten the mood and defuse his disappointment.

He isn't required to satisfy anyone's curiosity. He doesn't need the validation. He is guided by his confidence and by working-class parents who nurtured his individuality from the start.
"I remember all my students," said Tawn Battiste, Weir's first-grade teacher at Quarryville Elementary School in Pennsylvania. "He was small, a good-looking boy and very artistic. Even as a 6-year-old, he was wearing jewelry. He liked hemp necklaces. He was far out even as a 6-year-old."
He is 21. But in his crestfallen state last night, he seemed to grow up. Weir took his disappointment with grace, lauding his Russian idol, Yevgeny Plushenko, for winning the gold medal in a runaway performance.
He blamed himself in the end. In the month since he won the United States nationals, Weir had been nothing but perky, a joy. Last night he was refreshing even in his dark moment.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I like this quote:

sk8fanconvert said:
He isn't required to satisfy anyone's curiosity. He doesn't need the validation. He is guided by his confidence and by working-class parents who nurtured his individuality from the start.

I hope he kicks butt at Worlds. Go Johnny! :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
childfreegirl said:
I like this quote:

I hope he kicks butt at Worlds. Go Johnny! :rock:

Me too!!!! AND I hope he does that gorgeous quad combo we saw him doing in practice, it totally rocks! (but mainly, I just hope he really attacks his program, his technique is simply superb, but I want to see him really perform too!).

Sasha_4_The_Win

Rinkside
I love Johnny's skating. I saw him do that quad and it looks great. I hope he decides to include it in the future... I can't wait to see what unique programs he will have this next year. :clap:

Good luck to Johnny at Worlds~

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
thanks for the positive press..

in our local newspaper (Albany Times Union) there was a paragraph about all the "hate email" that johnny have been getting. People were writitng to him to tell that his Torino showing was a "joke" etc.. I actually went to his website and emailed him to thank him for the joy he brings me and I am sure countless others with his skating. I emailed him that there is a lot to be proud of.. Normally I never have a habit of writing to skaters or any celebrity for that matter, but I think Johnny would appreciate something nice from his fans now.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Johnny is a great skater and when I poke fun at him it is strictly in good humor. He seems to be able to laugh at himself, which is a positive trait. He still definitely has what it takes to get on the podium.

Vash01

Medalist
Thank you for this thread. Good to hear something positive about Johnny. I feel he has been unfairly criticized. I am rooting for him to skate great at worlds but I won't jinx him by mentioning a medal. With Plushenko's absence, he has as much talent as anyone to take over that spot. One poor performance (poor only by his standards) does not mean much in the long run.

Vash

sk8addict

On the Ice
thanks

We lived through Dallas 2003 with Johnny & it was worth the ride. I think Torino 2006 will be worth it as well. Here comes the quad!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NONE of the top Russians will be at Worlds. TT/MM and N/K have both officially retired from competitive skating. Plushenko is not going to Worlds (that way he doesn't have to do two GPs next season). Irina will very likely retire, especially if she wins the OGM.

Vash01

Medalist
AFAIK Irina has not made an announcement about worlds or about retiring yet. My feeling is that she might go to worlds regardless of what happens in Torino. She will want to defend her world title, unless she feels totally burned out after the Olys.

I read somewhere that Plushenko is not going to worlds.

Vash