Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Figure Skating Is Not A Sport...." Or some would say.....

"Figure Skating Is Not A Sport...." Or some would say.....

Check out this interesting article...........

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...yhoo&type=lgns

The argument is about semantics, not substance. I say tomato, you say tomahto. As Mr. Wetzel says, "it is what it is." No point in getting all het up over what word, "sport" or "competition," to attach to an event.

If you click on the link embedded in this sentence

"An ugly person would stand at a considerable, if not insurmountable, disadvantage in skating. Sasha Cohen would whip them every time."

you will see this, LOL.

MM

There is always someone out there telling people that figure skating is not a sport.

Here is some definitions of sport:
    1)An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition.
    2)Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    3)A particular form of this activity.
    4) An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    5) An active pastime; recreation.
    6)"Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.

The author probably got his a$$ kicked by a figure skater in high school....maybe even a female skater

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    The author probably got his a$$ kicked by a figure skater in high school....maybe even a female skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    IMO, it was probably a female skater.

You can click on "Send Dan a question" if you want. I just did. Well, more of a comment than a question, LOL.

Me too!

Some people I know like the 'showbiz' affect in figure skating, but they do not like judged sports including gymnastics, diving, etc.

Joe

Custom Title

Elvis?

Elvis Stoyko is not a handsome man & he did quite well & in a mullet to boot. Tara was no beauty either. She has already has plastic surgery.There are officials in football & basketball that use thier judgement to make calls that can determine the outcome of the game. We have all seen or heard of games that were won or lost because a official made bad call. So I guess football & basketball are not sports either.

I'm an Italian Bambina icy fresh's Avatar
    I recently stumbled upon a blog where the author said that figure skating was not a sport because it was subjective. Well, I gave him a mouthful anonymously saying basically that how it is judged shouldn't matter. What the athletes do is what makes it a sport. People need to understand that.

Ryan Bradley makes me leak!
    Sport is just a word...

but figure skating is definitely not a sport in the mold of baseball, football, hockey, etc.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    This guy is off his rocker!!! Figure skating is definitely a winter sport. What is a sport anyway? Is duckhunting a sport? Some think so!! I don't classify shooting a harmless animal as "sport" but that's just my opinion.

There is always someone out there who knows nothing about figure skating and the stamina it takes to be a skater trying to explain that is not a sport. I say let them take up figure skating and find out for themselves.

Let's get the Zamboni out and run this guy out of town!!!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8addict
    Elvis Stoyko is not a handsome man & he did quite well & in a mullet to boot. Tara was no beauty either. She has already has plastic surgery.There are officials in football & basketball that use thier judgement to make calls that can determine the outcome of the game. We have all seen or heard of games that were won or lost because a official made bad call. So I guess football & basketball are not sports either.
    Are you telling me that Tara Lapinski has had plastic surgery and hip replacements? What did she have done for plastic surgery????

[CENTER]
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8addict
    Tara was no beauty either.
    Whoa, I really have to disagree with you there. Click HERE. I cannot recall ever seeing a female skater who was downright homely, although some might be considered average looking (Jayne Torville for example).[/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast