"Figure Skating Is Not A Sport...." Or some would say..... | Golden Skate

"Figure Skating Is Not A Sport...." Or some would say.....

The argument is about semantics, not substance. I say tomato, you say tomahto. As Mr. Wetzel says, "it is what it is." No point in getting all het up over what word, "sport" or "competition," to attach to an event.

If you click on the link embedded in this sentence

"An ugly person would stand at a considerable, if not insurmountable, disadvantage in skating. Sasha Cohen would whip them every time."

you will see this, LOL.

MM :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
There is always someone out there telling people that figure skating is not a sport.

Here is some definitions of sport:
1)An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition.
2)Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
3)A particular form of this activity.
4) An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
5) An active pastime; recreation.
6)"Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The author probably got his a$$ kicked by a figure skater in high school....maybe even a female skater :biggrin:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Piel said:
The author probably got his a$$ kicked by a figure skater in high school....maybe even a female skater :biggrin:

IMO, it was probably a female skater.

You can click on "Send Dan a question" if you want. I just did. Well, more of a comment than a question, LOL.

Some people I know like the 'showbiz' affect in figure skating, but they do not like judged sports including gymnastics, diving, etc.

Joe

sk8addict

On the Ice
Elvis?

Elvis Stoyko is not a handsome man & he did quite well & in a mullet to boot. Tara was no beauty either. She has already has plastic surgery.There are officials in football & basketball that use thier judgement to make calls that can determine the outcome of the game. We have all seen or heard of games that were won or lost because a official made bad call. So I guess football & basketball are not sports either.

icy fresh

On the Ice
I recently stumbled upon a blog where the author said that figure skating was not a sport because it was subjective. Well, I gave him a mouthful anonymously saying basically that how it is judged shouldn't matter. What the athletes do is what makes it a sport. People need to understand that.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
Sport is just a word...

but figure skating is definitely not a sport in the mold of baseball, football, hockey, etc.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This guy is off his rocker!!! Figure skating is definitely a winter sport. What is a sport anyway? Is duckhunting a sport? Some think so!! I don't classify shooting a harmless animal as "sport" but that's just my opinion.

There is always someone out there who knows nothing about figure skating and the stamina it takes to be a skater trying to explain that is not a sport. I say let them take up figure skating and find out for themselves.

Let's get the Zamboni out and run this guy out of town!!!

candycane

Rinkside
sk8addict said:
Elvis Stoyko is not a handsome man & he did quite well & in a mullet to boot. Tara was no beauty either. She has already has plastic surgery.There are officials in football & basketball that use thier judgement to make calls that can determine the outcome of the game. We have all seen or heard of games that were won or lost because a official made bad call. So I guess football & basketball are not sports either.

Are you telling me that Tara Lapinski has had plastic surgery and hip replacements? What did she have done for plastic surgery????

IDLERACER

Medalist
sk8addict said:
Tara was no beauty either.
Whoa, I really have to disagree with you there. Click HERE. I cannot recall ever seeing a female skater who was downright homely, although some might be considered average looking (Jayne Torville for example).

EvanLysacekFan said:
Sport is just a word...

but figure skating is definitely not a sport in the mold of baseball, football, hockey, etc.
Those are team sports. Figure Skating is an individual sport which requires subjective judging. Golf is an individual sport and it is point gathering like CoP but Golf doesnt require judges.

The Sport is in the mind of the beholder, imo.

Joe

FreeKatie

On the Ice
To me, football(american) hockey, baseball etc. are more "games" than sports. Some of the players aren't even in great physical shape (think of fat out of shape baseball players and football players). I think Figure Skating certainly warrants more athletic ability in regards to physical fitness. Golf too seems more like a game than a sport IMO. But they are all sports. I think the fact that figure skating is mostly admired by women is what causes some people to decide its not worthy of being a sport - pure sexism at its finest. Others like Bryant Gumble think its not a sport if there are mostly white people partaking, so I guess Tennis wasn't a sport until Arthur Ashe and Venus Williams came around and Golf wasn't a sport but now it is because Tiger Woods is around? These are all just ignorant comments by ignorant narrow minded people. To them I say, go out and try skating around the ice for an hour with a skating instructor (actually trying to do some basic moves) and then tell me how many times you fell and more importantly, tell us how sore your muscles are the next day.
:cool:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Oh, God bless you, FreeKatie, I've been saying that about team sports for years. My issue with them is they're strategy games. It's not the team who's most fit or most skilled who wins, it's the team who out-strategizes (or in the case of hockey or rugby, out-thugs) the other team. To me that makes them games.

And Bryant Gumble is an idiot. No one cares what he thinks. (So Bryant, is speed skating now a sport because Shani Davis won gold? Or does he not count as black because he's doing a white sport? And Jamaican bobsled teams are on line one for you....)

And that photo of Tara looks like she's had eye work done--or is just wearing really, REALLY bad make-up. I have to say, I never thought she was very pretty, either.

Finally, if skating isn't a sport, I demand they remove POKER from all sports channels, too. It's a CARD GAME. Mini-golf requires more sports skills. Croquet requires more talent.