So After Olympics what will Belbin Do? | Golden Skate

So After Olympics what will Belbin Do?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Many Canadians take up American citizenship, but also keep their Canadian status, just in case they ever want to return to Canada. Seeing that Tanith Belbin still has roots here with her family, what will she do? Stay in the US or come back home? I guess it depends on her future plans with ice dance.

guinevere

Final Flight
I hope that Belbin and Agosto continue competing, regardless of the outcome in tonight's competition.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Tanith and Ben will continue to skate for at least ten years or so. Maybe in competition or maybe in the Pros, but they'll still be a team.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Her coach is here and her partner is here and she skates for the US. I'd assume that they're planning on Vancouver 2010, since ice dancers can easily manage two or even three Olympics (I thought I heard the commentators say one team here is on their FIFTH!) so I would assume after the Olympics she'll be back in Plymouth-Canton, training.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well 2010 was always their goal... so I'm guessing they'll stick around for four more years and then they've always got the pro ranks and I bet they are already being courted by both Tom Collins and Scott Hamilton (here's hoping Scott wins :rock: )

orchid

On the Ice
What will B&A do after the Olympics: Gp to DisneyWorld. of course.

Anything else, why waste your time speculating+

Hey LAD, I have no doubt that Tanith will hightail it back to her beloved Canada just as fast as her gorgeous legs can carry her. Maybe Ben will see the error of his misguided ways and apply for Canadian citizenship before the Vancouver games. :agree:

babyoscar

On the Ice
Tanith

It was reported Tanith was house hunting with Fedor. I am not sure if they did buy the house. I am assuming the house in US. Tanith's parents currently live in Atlanta.

Justafan

On the Ice
The Immigration department is ticky about going back and forth. Since she recently got her citizenship, she will have to get a special visa to go back to Canada just to visit. That may change as time passes. I only know this because my fiance is Canadian and will get his citizenship here once we are married. We can't even get married in Canada. The rules are pretty strict. Of course she may have more pull with the powers that be.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tanith's parents live in the US (I believe, in Atlanta), and Tanith has lived in the US since 1998. She has strong roots here, so I see no reason why she would want to go back to Canada to live. I expect Tanith and Ben to compete at least until 2010.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Hey LAD, I have no doubt that Tanith will hightail it back to her beloved Canada just as fast as her gorgeous legs can carry her. Maybe Ben will see the error of his misguided ways and apply for Canadian citizenship before the Vancouver games. :agree:

Not so sure about that. I think she has embraced the US - probably never to return to these shores. Oh well.....

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Not so sure about that. I think she has embraced the US - probably never to return to these shores. Oh well.....

Don't the US and Canada technically have the same shores? :laugh: :biggrin:

I think they're gonna stick it out till '10. This was just kind of a bonus for them, and if they came thisclose this time around, they'd be nuts not to see if they can make the last push to the top of the podium.

The San Diego Union, in some fluff piece at the start of the Games, had a thing about which athlete was most likely to do what (like Most Likely To Make A Million Dollars, Most Likely To Be Caught Dating Lindsay Lohan, stupid stuff like that), and Tanith was voted Most Likely To Pose Nude For Something. So there may be that, too.... :laugh: :laugh:

bluecatskater

Rinkside
On the Today show this morning, they said that they would prepare for Worlds,
then immediately go on tour with Champions on Ice. Hoping that tour will come to my city this year since SOI did not. The 2 tours seem to be alternating since attendance has dropped in recent years..

76olympics

On the Ice
If Tanith ends up marrying Fedor Andreev, she may go back to Canada, eventually. Doesn't he (and his mom) have Canadian citizenship? I do think he lives in the US right now ( I may be dreaming-but I think I read an article that said he lives near Tanith.)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, Fedor does (IIRC) train with Callaghan.

I certainly hope Tanith & Ben stay on until Vancouver. While I love that team, I think they are nowhere near reaching their potential. They have good technique, they are very pleasant to watch, but so far they haven't tackled the more emotionally complex programs. I have no doubt they're capable of it; we'll just have to wait and see how they develop toward 2010.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Canadian citizens don't need visas to return to Canada, nor do US citizens living abroad need visas to re-enter the US. Belbin has both.