Pairs and Ice Dance - Becoming Too Dangerous? | Golden Skate

Pairs and Ice Dance - Becoming Too Dangerous?

Do you think the elements are too risky?

• Yes - they need to be toned down somewhat

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No - the skaters need to take big risks

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With all the spills at the Olympics in pairs and especially ice dance -( first time in history that many!!) I think the elements are getting far too risky.

What do you think?

I don't think the skaters should be risking their health and limbs for the sake of a medal. I think there should be some control put in the amount of elements in a program. I certainly don't think the ladies need to do a quad throw!!!!

Last edited:

Evdokia

On the Ice
I think it's ok, as long as there are age limits to protect young skaters of possible overambitious plans of their coaches.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I would like to see a quad throw, I think Zhang/Zhang needed more practice but threw it in there in an attempt to beat the russians. If Shen/Zhoa had been healthy and in 1st place I don't think Zhang/Zhang would have attempted it - they are desperate to beat the Russians.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I dislike seeing this rush for higher tech at the risk of life, limb, and (selfishly) artistry. Even in singles, we are seeing more injuries than ever, though the men don't seem to be wrecking thenselves going after quads as much. In pairs, it does seem to be getting more and more dangerous for the girls. I would never have allowed my daughters to do some of those stunts. They gave up skating, when they realized there was more to it than the costumes and that was fine by me. It would have scared me senseless to watch it.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
I dislike seeing this rush for higher tech at the risk of life, limb, and (selfishly) artistry. Even in singles, we are seeing more injuries than ever, though the men don't seem to be wrecking thenselves going after quads as much. In pairs, it does seem to be getting more and more dangerous for the girls. I would never have allowed my daughters to do some of those stunts. They gave up skating, when they realized there was more to it than the costumes and that was fine by me. It would have scared me senseless to watch it.

If I had a daughter I would not let her be a gymnast or a pairs skaters, too dangerous even w/o the quad throw. No way jose!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's sport... there is supposed to be risk...

look at all of the injuries in the downhill... do I think they need to tone down the courses? heck no!

then again I live in the state of extreme skiing so :laugh: risk is part of life up here

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
it's sport... there is supposed to be risk...

look at all of the injuries in the downhill... do I think they need to tone down the courses? heck no!

then again I live in the state of extreme skiing so :laugh: risk is part of life up here

Yes, but could you stand to watch your child take the risks and the falls?:) I swear, some of those Mothers must have ovaries of STEEL!

As far as gymnastics goes, I don't understand why there isn't CPS involvement with the young kids. You would think that at the very least, more protective gear would be required.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Sure, if I had a kid. I wouldn't let them do gymnastics (largely because I don't really like what I hear about the atmosphere and pressure, and the number of little injuries that add up--figure skaters might get some back problems, but some gymnasts are basically crippled by the time they're twenty) but I would certainly allow them to do dance or pairs. My mother put up with watching me go rushing over fences on a 1000-pound animal I could barely control. Skating is nothing compared to that.

I would answer the question separately. I don't think the problem in dance is anything is particularly dangerous. I think the positions are AWKWARD, which makes them ugly and more to the point non-dance like. The dancers are being asked to do Pairs Lite and that's not the point.

In Pairs, the limits should be pushed. They are freestyle skaters, not dancers. If the Chinese are willing to risk throw quads, if Inoue/Baldwin want to chance throw 3a, why shouldn't they?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would rather see the return of figures to be the deciding factor in a competition - like it used to be. In those days skaters were well trained and very disciplined - not skating widly like they do now. Less injuries.

Of course the dancers were never required to do figures in competition, but they had many restrictions on the amount of lifts they were allowed. I think there are far too many injuries now. Give me back the good old days of figure skating!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the quad came into play in the 80s when figures were still a required element of a competition... Kurt Browning had back injuries that I'm sure could be because of the quad (as well as apparently the back flip, as that's what he contributed it to) does that mean the quad should not be done? No. Did his injuries mean he didn't do his figures well enough, I highly doubt it.

I agree figures should be a requirement when they're coming up the ranks, I'm not sure it needs to be part of senior competition...

It's sport first, if you just want pretty skating, that's what shows/exhibitions/etc are for... yes there should always be a balance... and I think a balanced program should always win out over something that's just element cross overs and more elements so long as they keep up the technical...

otherwise pull skating from the olympics and the sport category...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
No

Because it is up to them.

All of us can be as pseudo-journalistic as we want (myself included), but it comes down to they compete against each other.

They don't want helmets, they want to pull triple axles even without extra points, they don't even care about padded boards - some say MORE dangerous.

This is not a place for the "protective bubble" or "Nothing bad is going to happen to me" mentality - ask Paul Binnebose. Tat and Max are still out there.

The nature of athletic competition, to "rase the bar."

The real question is: Is the response time to Skating emergencies way slower and in need of more improvement then the other sports?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Yes, but could you stand to watch your child take the risks and the falls?:) I swear, some of those Mothers must have ovaries of STEEL!

considering my brother took a header and landed hard on the side of his head while skating a couple weeks ago (he had been showing off for a girl he has a crush on in the class) and mom told him he had 10 mins left and he better suck it up and get back out there... if SHE can keep from babying Duane when he skates, I have no doubt I'd do the same thing lol

yeah we're eville skating moms lol