Costumes | Golden Skate

Costumes

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The ice dancers costumes have become so ridiculous that it's hard to concentrate on the skating.

First prize for the most ridiculous-
Chait Galit for her "powder puff" dress
Second Prize
Elena Grushina for her "Indian" fringe top. I kept waiting for her to start the bump and grind and get the tassels going!
Third Prize
Maurizio & Barb for his window covering draped top and her silly head piece.
Honorable mention
Tanith for her OD costume with the "big" ruffles on the bottom:p

I hope those in the ice dance world do something about all the ridiculous costumes. I say mandatory point deduction for anyone skating in a silly costume:yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't have too much of a problem with Tanith's OD dress... her old FD dress was very... um... odd... but much improved now lol

there were a few of those that were out there, but there are so many other dancers that didn't have that problem so... *shrugs*

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
During the ice dance competition last night my oldest son was watching, and he kept asking me what on earth are those people wearing?! He just couldn't watch.

Alsace

On the Ice
Even Tracy Wilson commented about Grushina's outfit, intimating that it might deserve a costume deduction for not being appropriately athletic in nature.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Alsace said:
Even Tracy Wilson commented about Grushina's outfit, intimating that it might deserve a costume deduction for not being appropriately athletic in nature.

I thought it was a bit along the lines of the outfit Maya Usova wore to the 89 Worlds that got her in so much trouble, which is partly what prompted some of these "no slutty costume" rules to begin with.

F/P/Marg, as I mentioned in the Free Dance thread in the Oly folder, had some of the UGLIEST costumes I have ever seen, and I've been watching ice dance for 23 years, so you KNOW I've seen a LOT of ugly... :laugh: What happened to them in the OD wasn't a mere technical mishap; it was instant karma for having the nerve to show up in front of a worldwide audience dressed like that; the Taste Gods decreed that they must be struck down!!

I wonder if there's a professional somewhere who specializes in actually running over these outfits on the highway or something. Actually, the "shredding of the draperies look" seems to be on its way out -- TO GOD MANY THANKS BE GIVEN -- but there was still Pechelat/Bourzat. Wonder if the outfits were used for auto repair during their down time to "season them up", so to speak.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I posted this elsewhere (in the olympics thread) but I think it's worth repeating. Tim Gunn, the advisor from the Parson School of Design on the show Project Runway (fashion design competition reality show) on Bravo, comments on figure skating fashions, specifically, the compulsory dance costumes. (Video commentary). It's fantastic.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/bravoatthegames/index.html

"A coattail with a Nehru collar? I don't think so."

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
When Wilson was talking about Grushina's costume and about how the costumes are supposed to interperet the music I said "Yeah, and right now she's interpreting a pole dancer." I'm sorry, but I think hers was worse than Chait's molting swan. There are low-class strippers with better taste.

The problem with Tanith's OD dress is the line of the illusion/sparkle top with the huge ruffles on the bottom make Tanith look hippy. And she's about as tiny as they come this side of Sasha Cohen. A dress has to be pretty badly designed to make her look wide anywhere. But true, it's a paragon of good taste compared to some of the other attrocities. Can we just give F-P/M a lifetime achievement award for bad taste?

Linny

Final Flight
was there a deduction?

I thought I spoted a -1.00 on G/G's FD score...

Linny

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
The ice dancers costumes have become so ridiculous that it's hard to concentrate on the skating.

First prize for the most ridiculous-
Chait Galit for her "powder puff" dress
Second Prize
Elena Grushina for her "Indian" fringe top. I kept waiting for her to start the bump and grind and get the tassels going!
Third Prize
Maurizio & Barb for his window covering draped top and her silly head piece.
Honorable mention
Tanith for her OD costume with the "big" ruffles on the bottom:p

I hope those in the ice dance world do something about all the ridiculous costumes. I say mandatory point deduction for anyone skating in a silly costume:yes:
I didn't think much of the ice dance costumes.... they can do much better.

Antilles

Medalist
I laughed the hardest at Chait's OD dress. There were some nice costumes, though. A lot of the CD costumes were nice. The guys look good in tails. I also liked Drobiaszko's FD dress. FP&M do have awful costumes. You'd think coming from one of the fashion capitals of the world, they would know better.