Final Order: Irina Skates LAST!!! | Golden Skate

Final Order: Irina Skates LAST!!!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
This should set Irina up nicely to earn the highest points, if she delivers the goods! Gotta keep that Big Red Russian Steamroller going -- 4 for 4!!!!

How about my 'ElieG' making the final six, eh? Woooo-hooo!!!!

Warm-Up Group No. 1
1 FONTANA Silvia ITA 23 42.47
2 PAVUK Viktoria HUN 19 46.40
3 EFREMENKO Galina UKR 24 41.25
4 MAXWELL Fleur LUX 21 44.53
5 KARADEMIR Tugba TUR 22 44.20
6 KORPI Kiira FIN 20 44.84
Warm-Up Group No. 2
7 LIASHENKO Elena UKR 13 52.35
8 LEUNG Mira CAN 14 50.61
9 SOKOLOVA Elena RUS 18 46.69
10 LIU Yan CHN 15 49.84
11 HEGEL Idora CRO 17 47.06
12 SEBESTYEN Julia HUN 16 49.58
Resurfacing of the Ice
Warm-Up Group No. 3
13 POYKIO Susanna FIN 12 53.74
14 ANDO Miki JPN 8 56.00
15 HUGHES Emily USA 7 57.08
16 MEIER Sarah SUI 10 55.57
17 ROCHETTE Joannie CAN 9 55.85
18 KOSTNER Carolina ITA 11 53.77
Warm-Up Group No. 4
19 GEDEVANISHVILI Elene GEO 6 57.90
20 COHEN Sasha USA 1 66.73
21 ARAKAWA Shizuka JPN 3 66.02
22 SUGURI Fumie JPN 4 61.75
23 MEISSNER Kimmie USA 5 59.40
24 SLUTSKAYA Irina RUS 2 66.70

]MY PICKS​
Group 1 - Tugba

Group 2 - Elena S.

Group 3 - Carolina

Group 4 - Sasha

Also none will change, except Carolina, from their present groupings at the final result. JMO

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the draw was excellent for both Cohen and Arakawa. If they both skate clean, my guess is that Slutskaya might have problems.

cell

On the Ice
I don't think last place is a good position for Irina to be in. And she really shouldn't watch how everyone else has skated.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Perhaps this is good for Sasha - she won't physche herself out as much as if she went after Irina and Shizuka.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I wouldn't want to skate last --too much time for the demons to set in - but if anyone can handle the pressure of that I think its Irina. If Sasha or Arakawa skate clean I think they will probably win. If the standings last night prove anything its that the judges are willing to give it to another skater (other than Irina)
She did not get the over-inflated marks that Plushy enjoyed.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
And she really shouldn't watch how everyone else has skated.

Skaters rarely watch the other skaters. They know they have to focus on what they can do not on what others have done. I don't think Irina will run scared even if the others are great and she knows it. She's a fighter and she'll fight to the end. She wants that Olympic gold fiercely. Go Sluty!

shadymc

Rinkside
I think the skate order may favor Slute. She always skates last or next to last and usually does pretty well. At nationals, Sasha always skated before Kwan and had problems. I know MK wasn't there this year, but it was interesting that Sasha skated so well, and last.

Sasha_4_The_Win

Rinkside
If the new judging system works as intended it shouldn't matter which order the ladies skate in point-wise. However, it may have some effect on their nervousness! This might be a good skate order for Sasha under certain circumstances, but can also see an advantage for Irina, knowing how the others have done and what she'll need to do to win.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Not to beat the dead horse, but I think had Irina not skated last at SLC, she might have won. She already knew that Michelle did not skate perfectly, and felt that she could beat her without a triple-triple. The possibility of Hughes beating her never entered into the picture. Now, of course it's nothing but "what-ifs" - Irina could have gone for the jump, fell, and missed the podium alltogether, but I think ironically she would have been more likely to win had she not gone last. However, I don't see Irina making the same tactical error in Torino again.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
What would happen if sasha had a tiny bobble like stepping out of a jump but was flawless other than that... and then slute skated clean but with no 3/3?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Not to beat the dead horse, but I think had Irina not skated last at SLC, she might have won. She already knew that Michelle did not skate perfectly, and felt that she could beat her without a triple-triple. The possibility of Hughes beating her never entered into the picture. Now, of course it's nothing but "what-ifs" - Irina could have gone for the jump, fell, and missed the podium alltogether, but I think ironically she would have been more likely to win had she not gone last. However, I don't see Irina making the same tactical error in Torino again.

My thoughts presicely. Also, this time it's the total number of points as opposed the ordinals. I think skating last will benefit Irina - her coach will tell her which elements she should attack. irina is wiser and more experienced now. She won't let the nerves affect her performance. Knock on wood ..

Go Irina!!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I am not worried about Irina's nerves, just her stamina - the stress of waiting through 5 skaters and the adrenaline from the warm-up could wear her out just enough to make a minor mistake. However, she will have the luxury of knowing how many points she needs to win.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
What would happen if sasha had a tiny bobble like stepping out of a jump but was flawless other than that... and then slute skated clean but with no 3/3?

My guess would be it depends how they skate the rest of the programs...if Cohen skates with fire and abandon like liast night's SP and Slutskaya skates tentative like last night's LP then i think i would give Cohen the nod, and i think the judging panel (which is more western favouring thatn eastern block) would probably do the same.

Ant

Mafke

Medalist
I enjoyed her SP far more than I thought I would (fair judging doesn't hurt there) but I'm concerned a little about her health situation. Her face was a little puffy and splotchy looking and there has been speculation that the problems she had at last years Euros could be partially site-related. I hope she's in good health tomorrow evening and that the best performance wins.

rain

Record Breaker
I think it would be a tactical mistake for any of the top ladies to go into the long program thinking they'll see how everyone else skates, then decide what elements they need. They all need to go in and execute their plan - that is almost invariably what works best. It's muscle memory and comfort zone and being able to concentrate on performance. I mean, if they're not really sure on their triple/triple by now, it's already really too late.

I think Rochette got pretty much as good a draw as she could have hoped for moving up, skating near the end of her group. I'm afraid I don't really see Kostner having a fabulous comeback skate - I hope she skates well, though, I really like her program.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
rain said:
I mean, if they're not really sure on their triple/triple by now, it's already really too late.
Too late for what? To learn it - yes, you're right. But that's the whole point - to risk or not to risk. Johnny did not take any risks, and look where he ended up. I'd argue he would not have been worse off had he gone for it - sure he could have slipped a few placements, but it really doesn't matter that much wen on the other hand he could have had a shot at a medal.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm just so excited at the prospect of hearing "the top three skaters control their destiny... whoever wins the long program will win the gold!!" that I don't care when they skate... :rock:

Anywho... I doubt it matters to Irina when she skates... just as long as she wins.
Should be an interesting night...

I would be a little disappointed if the Olympic gold medalist did not do a triple triple. Sarah did two. Tara did a triple loop/triple loop. Kristi did a triple Lutz/triple toe. I would hate to think the sport is going backward, technically.

MM

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Skating last got to Irina in SLC. If Sasha and Shiz skate clean and especially is Shiz completes a 3/3 Irina will feel the pressure. If she remains unaware of how they have done, she may just focus on herself and deliver clean. If Irina skates clean and completes a good 3/3 she will win. If will be very close. I think Sasha's former problems with falling on jumps and/or losing her concentration will most likely not bother her this time. I could be wrong but she seems to much more able to handle the pressure. Even being sick at Nats she skated nearly clean. It's all about who will handle the pressure best. It will be a really interesting LP to be sure.