Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What did Heiss do to Miki Ando???

On the Ice
    I think that Miki is slightly out of shape and doesn't seem to be as confident as she has been in the past. She doesn't seem to get the height she normally does on her jumps... I might be wrong.

I didn't really mind the black tights-- in fact, I preferred it over Slutskaya's pantsuit, but maybe the costume was selected in order to camouflage some bad skating? You know, black hides a multitude of sins?

In order to be at the competitive level she is at, Miki is obviously a very slim girl, but man! that dress made her look chunky and clunky and the least graceful it possibly could. Man-o-man! She should have been behind Rochette!

Miki Ando, Japan: Is it me or is she wearing Santino's entry from the Project Runway skate-costume challenge?

Medalist
    I liked that short program, before the Olympics that is...

Medalist
    Much as I enjoy Miki's skating when she's on....well...this year, it seems she never is. Wasn't she 6th at Japanese Nationals? Should she have even been here? I'm really not wanting to be mean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced Gymnast
    Much as I enjoy Miki's skating when she's on....well...this year, it seems she never is. Wasn't she 6th at Japanese Nationals? Should she have even been here? I'm really not wanting to be mean.

Good point. This was a point for heated argument after Japan Worlds. Yukari Nakano (4th at Natls and Japan's top Olympic-eligible finisher at Grand Prix Finals) should have gone to Torino. Even 5th-place finisher at Natls, Yoshie Onda, was much more impressive than Ando at Natls.

It all comes down to money....ye olde marketing...Miki, with her prettier face & marketability, had garnered more commercial endorsements than either Nakano or Onda. Her 'soup can' had been minted, so to speak. It would have been embarrassing for the Japanese federation & their $pon$or$ to send anybody but the three preselected ladies whose faces were plastered all over the country's billboards: Fumie, Shiz & Miki.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    And didn't CHJ coach Timmy to the world stage? Yeah, I know, long standing posture problems that neither Frank nor Audrey could correct, but, hey, I don't think you can actually call CHJ the kiss of death...

Linny
    IIRC, Tim came in 10th or 11th at Worlds while being coached by CHJ. His was fourth (and Nat champ) after his first season with Frank, and it was under Frank's coaching that he won his two world medals and his Oly bronze.

Custom Title
    Most often dance cotumes look horrific up close, in person, but from a distance, up on stage and under the lights, they are a completely different and wonderful looking garment. Hopefully, Miki's short program dress was the exact reverse ... televised poorly but looked wonderful in person.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    This was the worst costume/choreography makeover since Robin Wagner took Tarasova's glorious "Swan Lake" and turned it into a "Swan Puddle" (to quote rgirl) for Sasha. When Miki ran into the boards I thought she was channeling Midori Ito.
    You mean Robin Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    It all comes down to money....ye olde marketing...Miki, with her prettier face & marketability...
    Good point abount marketing, Frau M. But -- eye of the beholder -- check out this pretty face:

Yukari

MM

Custom Title
    Mathman - I happen to think that Yukari is just as pretty as Miki. I was just talking about the opinions of Japanese marketing firms. Apparently, in Japan, Miki's sort of beauty 'sells' better than does Yukari's look. Just a fact - not my own opinion.

Custom Title
    In terms of marketing, it's not a "beauty" think but more that this has been Yukari's break out year therefore she hadn't been picked up by advertisers to hype. Miki had a broken toe a few weeks ago (I believe she had it at Japanese Nats) and that probably is affecting her.

As for Miki's costume, all black looks great on the ice as it's very common for skaters to wear that during practice and testing. But all black did not come off well on the television at all. She did look clunky.

Yukari should have been sent.

And yeas, Fumie was robbed in the SP, should have had a much higher score.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    It all comes down to money....ye olde marketing...Miki, with her prettier face & marketability, had garnered more commercial endorsements than either Nakano or Onda. Her 'soup can' had been minted, so to speak. It would have been embarrassing for the Japanese federation & their $pon$or$ to send anybody but the three preselected ladies whose faces were plastered all over the country's billboards: Fumie, Shiz & Miki.
    It was not simply marketing. Many countries do not select their team based only on nationals. The Japanese team was chosen based on the two most recent seasons.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Totally disagree on the marketing issue. Is Miki pretty and marketable? Yes. Was that the reason she was chosen? No. She was national champion twice (2004, 2005) and finished 4th and 6th at Worlds. She had a bad season, but then again, Shizuka had a lackluster season but capped it off with the Olympic Gold (well-deserved). It doesn't hurt a country to believe in their skaters' potential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast