What if Mao had skated? | Golden Skate

What if Mao had skated?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I'd bet they'd have put her third or fourth. Mao tends to cheat the 3-3 combos sometimes. I imagine she would have done the 3-3 but maybe gotten knocked for a cheat.

I've been on the Mao bandwagon since J Worlds last year. It was one of those skates that makes you say, "holy cow!!!! Watch out big guns."

mzheng

Record Breaker
OT, warnning.

Given that Irina's SP only 0.03 away from Sasha's, had Michelle skated, her SP (the same music as Irina's) could've won SP run away.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sk8n Mama said:
I'd bet they'd have put her third or fourth. Mao tends to cheat the 3-3 combos sometimes. I imagine she would have done the 3-3 but maybe gotten knocked for a cheat.

I've been on the Mao bandwagon since J Worlds last year. It was one of those skates that makes you say, "holy cow!!!! Watch out big guns."

Mao doesn't do 3-3s, does she? At the GPF, she did a 3-axel combination and then, late in her program, a 3-2-2 combo. That's not to say she can't do them, but with her other tricks, who needs them?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
coulda woulda shoulda

mzheng said:
OT, warnning.

Given that Irina's SP only 0.03 away from Sasha's, had Michelle skated, her SP (the same music as Irina's) could've won SP run away.

That's funny, because the spouse and I had the same conversation... He was all like "damn. she should've stayed." Having said that... she wasn't and we'll never know... espcially since the judging was all about reinstating the 6.0...

The good part... at least I was able to watch the skating without being stressed out...

As for Mao... Based on the judging last night, I think its safe to assume that she'd been in the hunt, but this is the year of the Big Dawgs and I truly believe there was a meeting to discourage the "youngster" issue... Mao would've been 5th... 4th tops... of course, there are no guarntees once you move on to the long program...

FreeKatie

On the Ice
good point about MK, had she been healthy and had a clean SP she would probably be right in there with the 3 way (almost) tie. No 3/3s (except for Kimmie) as usual. The LP might be a different story, but all the hype about MK not doing 3/3's -- nobody in ladies skating since Tara Lipinski has done consistent clean 3/3's and also had enough components marks to be near the top, which is why the USFSA put MK on the team - they knew she had a better shot at a medal than Emily.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
jenaj said:
Mao doesn't do 3-3s, does she?
At CoC, TEB, and GPF she did 3F/3Lo in her short program, all ratified. At CoC, she had -.2 GOE on the combo (mostly 0's but a two -1's), and this may have been because of a cheated (less than .25) landing. At TEB, she received .8 GOE and at GPF .6. If she cheats her 3/3's, they aren't being called this way, and she's getting good GOE as well.

Since she repeats the 3Lz and 3F in her free skate, she can't do 3/3's without violating the Zayak rule, and as a result, does 3/2's and 3/2/2's, which for TEB and GPF she moved past the halfway mark to get extra credit.

Enero

On the Ice
As well as all of the ladies skated last night I think that she'd be either between Arakawa and Suguri or Suguri and Meissner, and that's assuming she was clean.

greig

Rinkside
Mao asasa would surely be in the lead.Technically she is imo the best female skater in the world,although her presentation may not be as good as slutskaya and cohen,but she is only 15 and that will come in time.here's to mao the 2010 olympic champion hopefully?:biggrin:

What is her sister mia like is she a good skater???;) i never saw her skate

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this is assuming she skated perfectly and with fire

and not like Carolina... so hyped up that she couldn't stay focused....

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
this is assuming she skated perfectly and with fire

and not like Carolina... so hyped up that she couldn't stay focused....

Good point. Actually, the best point I've read all day. Espcially when you take into account Japan's not- so-stellar record of hyping these girls to death, not giving them the support to deal with the pressure and then acting like "what happened?" when they don't win... Look at Miki. She went from a wonderful jumping bean with a TON of potential (remember when she was hyped as the best thing since sliced Wonderbread?) and now, she's a hot mess.

Mao is awesome and I can't wait to see what she does during the next cycle. But I'd hold off on sending in my deposit on my "Got Mao?" sweatshirt for a while... :cool:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Little Mao seems unfazed by pressure, though. You'd have thought if she were going to show nerves the GPF with the big names would have done it but she was still great. She needs to get her jumps up in the air a little more. To me, they are cheated but I still think she's a phenomenal talent. 2010-Meissner vs. Asada vs. Yu-Na Kim (almost forgot her! She's also amazing).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Good point. Actually, the best point I've read all day.

sometimes I get it right :laugh:

Sk8n Mama - true... but that was teh GPF... and according to many it's not *as big* as the Olys or Worlds (which I'd believe...)

there's also been a lot of talk about the way the practices on the actual competition ice have been run... really early in the morning and then they wait and skate late at night... you never know what to expect from anyone much less someone who isn't even there. :)

Woulda, shoulda, coulda is right!

Mao is amazing. But Kimmie and Elene Gedevanishvili were pretty amazing, too.
greig said:
What is her sister mia like is she a good skater???;) i never saw her skate
I've seen Mia skate once. She's taller and lankier than Mao, kind of like Karen Kwan was relative to Michelle but with the difference in physical structure not nearly as pronounced. IMO and as her results showed, Mia is a moderately good skater in the senior world ranks. I'll put it this way, Mia is a lovely skater to watch but there's a reason she's not on the Japanese ladies figure skating team.

My guess is Mao would be in the top five after the SP. IMO, both her short and long programs are pretty simple choreographically and that might have hurt her. But her jumps have this killer "whirring" quality and her spins are great too. Plus her presence on the ice is naturally charismatic.

But what hormones can do to a tiny body between 15 and 17 can be brutal if your a ladies figure skater. The person who noted the hype on 15-year-old Miki Ando makes a very strong point, IMO.

However, if Mao doesn't grow too much, like Michelle, ladies at the 2010 Olympics, watch out!

Rgirl

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't understand why everyone talks up a skater who can't do a decent 3 tl or 3 salchow as if she's the most unbeatable thing on the planet. I agree, she's a great talent with a great future. She does have an awesome 3 axel. However, if she doesn't have all the triples below a 3 axel, it sems obvious, to me, that she has tech problems. She really needs to get command of all the jumps, before I would believe the hype. I could see her in close 4th with a 3 axel.

SusanBeth - I think it is just that, she probably will have a great future. We'll be watching her soon. Will she be in Calgary? or do we wait for the next series of GPs. I doubt she will be in those American commercial competitions like Campbells and Marshalls.

Joe

alain707

Rinkside
SusanBeth said:
I don't understand why everyone talks up a skater who can't do a decent 3 tl or 3 salchow as if she's the most unbeatable thing on the planet.
Because she can do a triple axel :laugh: ! Actually I agree it's a shame for such a gifted skater to have trouble with the two easiest triples there are. I sincerely hope she can use this year out of senior world competitions to improve on her flaws. In this way the age rule could be a very good thing for her future.
Nonetheless keep in mind that CoP does not care if all the different triples are done, but only to how many points the seven jump passes add up ... So with 4 different triples and 2 repeats she can still hit a 6 triples program. And such a program with 2 triple axels will weigh as much if not more more than the 7 triples routines only a few of the other top skaters can deliver.

Mafke

Medalist
One of the things I liked about the judging of the SP is that the clearly more juniorish skaters who did well (Meissner, Gedevanishvili and Hughes), were behind the seniors with better overall technique.
Of the three Gedevanishvili is IMHO the closest to being soup (and should be ahead of Meissner) but is still a junior in posture and presentation.
I think that if Asada had competed, she'd be in the puppy group rather than at the very top with the big dogs.

She might be able to make up some ground in the LP but I think her win was roundly criticised in terms of PCS and barring a meltdown among the top four wouldn't necessarily make the podium and definitely not gold. Let's remember after her big win in the GPF she didn't win Japanese nationals.
I agree that she's got a great future (if she can get a full set of triples and up her presentation game to senior levels) but I think the people who thought she would be a shoo-in for gold are ... exaggerating a little.

Callystarr

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
That's funny, because the spouse and I had the same conversation... He was all like "damn. she should've stayed." Having said that... she wasn't and we'll never know... espcially since the judging was all about reinstating the 6.0...

The good part... at least I was able to watch the skating without being stressed out...

As for Mao... Based on the judging last night, I think its safe to assume that she'd been in the hunt, but this is the year of the Big Dawgs and I truly believe there was a meeting to discourage the "youngster" issue... Mao would've been 5th... 4th tops... of course, there are no guarntees once you move on to the long program...

OK!

I actually enjoyed not having my heart pop out of my chest worrying about an upcoming element from Kwan.

...As You Were..