Sylvia Fontana - Why did NBC show her? | Golden Skate

Sylvia Fontana - Why did NBC show her?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
'Cause she's Italian? 'Cause she's John Zimmerman's pretty wife? Ye olde Disson-NBC connection/Scott Hamilton's friend? Sorry, she was a shadow of what she was even four years ago. I'm sure that Valentina Marchei -- Italy's #2 skater during the past 4 yrs, booted off the team to make room for Fontana -- was somewhere up in the stands laughing.

There were 29 skaters in the SP. Surely NBC could have shown us more worthy also-rans, such as the Canadian dynamo Mira Leung or Luxembourg's heavenly Fleur Maxwell or recent Euro champ Julia Sebestyen? Sheesh....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's Italian and a recognized name... no reason why they shouldn't show at least her SP.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
'Cause she's Italian? 'Cause she's John Zimmerman's pretty wife? Ye olde Disson-NBC connection/Scott Hamilton's friend? Sorry, she was a shadow of what she was even four years ago. I'm sure that Valentina Marchei -- Italy's #2 skater during the past 4 yrs, booted off the team to make room for Fontana -- was somewhere up in the stands laughing.

There were 29 skaters in the SP. Surely NBC could have shown us more worthy also-rans, such as the Canadian dynamo Mira Leung or Luxembourg's heavenly Fleur Maxwell or recent Euro champ Julia Sebestyen? Sheesh....

Yes. Yes. Yes. Plus she is also to an extent American, having been born in New York. Plus she was making a comeback. I'm not surprised they showed her at all; I was expecting them to, given all those reasons.

I, too, would have liked to have seen Leung. But based on the standings, Maxwell didn't do much better than Fontana, so why show her? And Sebestyen was apparently a bit of a disaster as well, as she pretty much has been this whole season. Overall, Silvia has much more of a backstory going. This is TV land, after all.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
NBC showed her because she's the reason why my husband watched the short programs... he wanted to see if anyone else was as hot as her...:p

pollyls

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
Yes. Yes. Yes. Plus she is also to an extent American, having been born in New York. Plus she was making a comeback. I'm not surprised they showed her at all; I was expecting them to, given all those reasons.
Indeed so. I'm sure all the skaters' representatives sent in press kits and had meetings with NBC beforehand and made their pitches. Silvia's was probably the only one who could say, "I've got an Olympian you can include who was on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!":agree:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I agree those are the reasons why they showed her, also because she is a name most US fans are familiar with so there is interest in seeing her skate.
Too bad she didn't do very well.

Did she make the LP?

sk8m8

Final Flight
Let's see if we can string this together....John Z is Sylvia's husband, he was on QRftSG on Bravo. This popluar series had her come home to John after the makeover and they are both seen skating. Bravo is owned by NBC, the Olympic Broadcaster. Networks tend to "cross market" things, Thus...

Sylvia is gorgeous (and actually has a better program than SLC, even if she didn't land the jumps.)

She is Italian, as mentioned and she is HUGELY popular in Italy (read good crowd reaction)

She is Robin Wagner's charge so I'm sure she gets so "coached by last OLY champion's coach.

She is/was a spokesperson for the Turino Olypics before she agreed to come out of retirement. (read "connected")

Alll of that adds up to "exposure" and that's what NBC is looking for to spice up flagging ratings.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
hockeyfan228 said:
Fontana finished in 23rd and made the cut into the free skate. http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/1500481/detail.html

Great. :cool: That probably means that NBC will squander five precious minutes showing her LP tomorrow, instead of some worthier (higher-finishing) competitor.

If NBC wants to show true beauty of face & figure, look no further than Kiira Korpi! At least 'Olympic Ice' showed a bit of Korpi's practice, allowing Dick Button to do some 'ooooing' and 'ahhhing'!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'll just say this (in, of course, addition to what I said earlier):

Silvia, I think (as do many) is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ALL SHE PRETTY MUCH HAS TO DO IS STAND THERE AND I'LL WATCH HER. And this is coming from a gay man, OK??? :laugh: The fact that I also like her skating is also a bonus.

Linny

Final Flight
Start order?

Could it have had something to do with start order? Like, her skate was close to the skate of another "must broadcast" skater?

Linny

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I'll just say this (in, of course, addition to what I said earlier):

Silvia, I think (as do many) is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ALL SHE PRETTY MUCH HAS TO DO IS STAND THERE AND I'LL WATCH HER. And this is coming from a gay man, OK??? :laugh: The fact that I also like her skating is also a bonus.
:rock: :laugh: :clap:
Another gay man in agreement with you!!!! (And how great that she has a hot husband!!!) Go Silvia!!!! I think she'll do a good job in the long - and NBC better show it!!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
My husband concurs... I just told him about this thread and his exact words: See! I told you! That chick is HOT and actually prettier than her husband! We should move to Italy!" Of course, then I had to point out that she lives in the US and its highly doubtful that she'd leave John "The Prettiest Man I Ever Saw" Zimmerman for him... I was then told I had no loyalty. :cool:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwanfordwife, if Kwanfordhubby wants to try his luck with Silvia I will do my best to console Johnny Z....a hardship I know, but I am willing to suffer.

rob43

On the Ice
Actually Fontana is a twofer in terms of looks- she's hawt and the hubby can melt most women (and apparently quite a few men.)

Plus she has personality and will probably tour in the US. I like when they show some of the lower ranked women, even if they do so randomnly. I remember when Ruh went to worlds in the late 90s and never came near the podium but I always enjoyed that they'd show at least a snippet of her exceptional spinning. I see no diference between Fontana at Oly and Ward at Nationals (neither was making a big run but people enjoy the,.)

Johar

Medalist
I am glad they did show her. Wow, she is gorgeous, and you could tell she was enjoying what she was doing.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Okay, nothing against Fontana, or Zimmerman for that matter, but am I the only straight female who is just not in awe of the hotness that is him? I really just don't get the whole male model thing, I guess.

I wish they'd show MORE of the skaters, ones who have no hope at all of being anywhere near the medal podium, so I'm fine with their showing her SP.

76olympics

On the Ice
Juliet, you're not alone. I can think of quite a few male skaters that I think are hotter (or were hotter) He is just a little too Calvin Klein model for me. But- I do think he is a nice guy. Perhaps, if I were younger than him, his looks would appeal to me more.................NAH! I still see him starring in the SNL parody commercial for Calvin Klein's "Eternity."