USA Today letters have me so angry right now | Golden Skate

USA Today letters have me so angry right now

Johar

Medalist
One of them said, ...."The network has focused on two spoiled and selfish athletes, Bode Miller and Michelle Kwan, who choked and quit, respectively."

What a witch! I wish I could find the online versions of these letters.

I am seething right now and need to chill for about 10 minutes before I gather more thoughts.

Jasper

Final Flight
That's outrageous. Not even close to the mark with that assessment of Michelle. To compare her to Bode Miller is journalistic disgrace!

soogar

Record Breaker
Jasper said:
That's outrageous. Not even close to the mark with that assessment of Michelle. To compare her to Bode Miller is journalistic disgrace!

Yeah, Bode actually takes risks.

rob43

On the Ice
Yeah- anyone who wants to take risks and practice then skate 2 programs with 10-14 various jumps on top of spins, FW and MITF can go right ahead.

I'll send $ to there medical fund- some risks make are not worth it.

Panther2000

On the Ice
soogar said:
Yeah, Bode actually takes risks.

Yeah, right that statement makes as much sense as wmd's:rofl:

At least when michelle competed in her olympics she won a Medal each time she performed. What risk has bode taken, Drinking , DNF, missing gates. coming in 5th, blah, blah blah.

This bash against michelle is stupid. She may not have an olympic GOld Medal. But, 9 Nationals & 5 world championship, & Lord knows how many event titles to her rep. Yeah, michelle doesn't take risks when it comes to her health. That is called being Mature & thinking about the long run.

Without your health you have NOTHING. That is the main reason why she has lasted this long.

Now, on the topic of the article.

Pay no attention to the Fool who wrote the article. They have an axe to grind.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, keep whinning as you like.

AFAIK, the sponsors now respect MK even more than before. More power to the Kween, not be there yet be there. :clap:

Panther2000

On the Ice
Yeah, they know what they have with her. A TRUE CHAMPION. Someone who said that she respects the games to much to go back on her word about pulling out.

Yeah, she gets injured & keeps her promise of stepping aside. & What happens. Corporate America loves her even more for what she has done. She is a Classy woman that you don't have to worry about representing your product..

Win, Loose or draw she is wonderful.

If michelle were to retire( which she has already stated she is not retiring. :bow: :clap: :agree: Thank the LORD) corporations would still do warp speed to get her to represent their stuff. & That I think that has fans & critics so pissed off. They don't just want her to retire they wan't her to go into a cave somewhere out of the media attention. JEALOUSLY, that is all it is

rob43

On the Ice
Kwan's marketablility does have a plus & minus at the moment. She dodged a bullet with another US woman not taking gold and the general lack of high profile US wins but she also hasn't competed this year. I think continuing to stay in the public eye helps her marketability immeasurably- and not winning (but still medalling) is probably fine. But not competing could hurt her.

Most athlete/celebrity adds seem to need some context & that is missing at the moment. Hopefully she'll fix that next year!

And the truth be told- the 02 Oly long and 97 Nats long are her only 2 real flubs. I understand that a casual fan would know very little of non-Olympic competitions but FS fans should atleast respect the body of work she's built. Same for Sasha, now.

K-Mo

On the Ice
Michelle was bound to be criticized whatever she did. If she had decided to wait a week to see if she could skate and couldn't, she would have been villainized for robbing Emily of an Olympic experience. She had an impossible decision to make, and she made the best one she could, especially not knowing if she'd improve. Should she have risked making the inury worse and never skating again?

Johar

Medalist
There were other letters slamming the Winter Games in general, many which were unjustly harsh.