Not all medalists cash in | Golden Skate

Not all medalists cash in

RubyNV

Rinkside
MOST won't cash it!

Believe me, MOST of the figure skaters won't be able to cash in on their medals.
First of all, there is the obsession with the gold medal, with so many acting like silver and bronze medals are completely meaningless.
The number one reason that most figure skaters won't be able to cash in on their medals, unless they are gold medal media darlings, is that professional skating is almost dead. In the big excitement that came over the skating world because of the Tonya-Nancy happenings and the Maya-Pasha-Evgeny-Sasha Z. soap opera-like tales, there was suddenly skating almost all the time!
There were so many shows on tv, and it was great. However, almost all of them have since disappeared, and most of the traveling ice shows are in big trouble, having to cancel many shows because of lack of ticket sales (They might try reducing their prices). I guess that most skaters will have to go into coaching to try to make a long-term living in the business, or go into something related, such as designing skating costumes.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It is also hard to compare between different countries. For example, I doubt that there will be commercials featuring Shizuka in the US, but there will be a lot in Japan. I wonder though, who will win an "endorsement race" between Sasha and Tanith?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I say Tanith.

Why? Tanith and Ben came and won the first US dance medal in many years (don't know exactly how many). That's looked at as a triumph.

Sasha, on the other hand, was in position to win the Gold, but "choked" and lost it all. Therefore, many see her silver as a setback.

Then again, since ladies skating is more popular overall then ice dance here in the US, maybe it might play out differently.

Just speculation. I could be way off base on this one.

Jill

On the Ice
I say Sasha. More people identify with Ladies individual medalists than dance. Besides, I'll bet Sasha retires from the amateur ranks which would free up some time to persue other ventures, and she's in California, which is a good place to be for TV.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think Tanith is better looking than Sasha (she looks more like a woman- NOT meant as a bash to Sasha), but that's JMO. I realize beauty is subjective...very subjective at that. :biggrin:

Mafke

Medalist
RubyNV said:
In the big excitement that came over the skating world because of the Tonya-Nancy happenings and the Maya-Pasha-Evgeny-Sasha Z. soap opera-like tales, there was suddenly skating almost all the time!

That was a golden opportunity to widen the fan base long term and the skating establishment blew it with their ridiculous olympic obsession.
No sport can prosper if the CW is that the only competition that matters only takes place once every four years.

Lucy25

Final Flight
They discussed this on CNBC last night, right after the ladies event finished (in real time, not NBC time). They believe that Sasha will not get many endorsements for two reasons: 1) Her reputation for flubbing it at big events (their words, not mine). "What product wants to put their name to that?" was the quote from the speaker. 2) She probably will not continue on to 2010. There were four people discussing this and they all agreed that the endorsers will be going for the youngsters (Kimmie and Emily). They did mention Sasha's current Citizen Watch endorsement and hoped someone would pick her up, but they weren't hopeful. They all also agreed that all these girls will be forgotten for the next couple of years, then "remembered" as 2010 approaches.

I personally think Sasha might be more successful in print modeling or something like that. A lot could depend on how she does at Worlds.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
They believe that Sasha will not get many endorsements for two reasons: 1) Her reputation for flubbing it at big events (their words, not mine). "What product wants to put their name to that?" was the quote from the speaker.
That's fine for Ford or Gatorade, but I think anyone marketing clothes and make-up to the teenage market would want to put their name to that beauty and radiance, and anyone marketing upscale products would want to put their name to that beauty and elegance.

bird10

Spectator
hockeyfan228 said:
That's fine for Ford or Gatorade, but I think anyone marketing clothes and make-up to the teenage market would want to put their name to that beauty and radiance, and anyone marketing upscale products would want to put their name to that beauty and elegance.
Agreed. The teenagers don't have those qualities-yet.