Who's going to retire? | Golden Skate

Who's going to retire?

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Any news on what's next for some of our favorites? I know Plushy plans to try to stay healthy for the next four years and continue to compete, but I haven't heard anything about anyone else.

rain

Record Breaker
Navka/Kostomorov, I believe, have said yes, they're retiring. As have Grushina/Goncharov. I imagine the Italiens will head back into retirement as well. Dubrueil and Lauzon had originally intended to retire this year after worlds at home, however, with the great results they've been getting this year they backpedalled and said they'd have to see....how much the fall and not getting to skate at the Olympics will effect their decision, I don't know.

In Pairs, Petrova and Tikhonov and T/M had both said they planned to retire.

In ladies, I would not be at all surprised to see Arakawa retire after her gold medal win. Slutskaya - I'm not sure. Cohen....again, I don't know. I don't see her hanging around for another four years, but I do think she might want a world gold. I would not be surprised to see Suguri retire as well. I think Ando may quit - word was she was thinking about it before the Olympics, and with her dismal showing..... Some other familiar names I might expect to retire would include Sokolova and Liashenko.

maruru

Rinkside
rain said:
Navka/Kostomorov, I believe, have said yes, they're retiring. As have Grushina/Goncharov. I imagine the Italiens will head back into retirement as well. Dubrueil and Lauzon had originally intended to retire this year after worlds at home, however, with the great results they've been getting this year they backpedalled and said they'd have to see....how much the fall and not getting to skate at the Olympics will effect their decision, I don't know.

In Pairs, Petrova and Tikhonov and T/M had both said they planned to retire.

In ladies, I would not be at all surprised to see Arakawa retire after her gold medal win. Slutskaya - I'm not sure. Cohen....again, I don't know. I don't see her hanging around for another four years, but I do think she might want a world gold. I would not be surprised to see Suguri retire as well. I think Ando may quit - word was she was thinking about it before the Olympics, and with her dismal showing..... Some other familiar names I might expect to retire would include Sokolova and Liashenko.

Shizza implied she would retire. Fumie probably will continue to compete. She said the way to Vancouver would be a year-to-year thing for her but she wanted to stay eligible and compete with the next Olys in mind.

indiaskye1

Rinkside
Elena Sokolova said in an interview on Eurosport that she hopes the next Olympics will be better for her ... I suppose that means she'll stick around!!!

Vanessa

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Sasha said in a couple of early morning shows she would try for Vancouver 2010 as long as her body holds up. At least she's not retiring anytime soon! I look forward to seeing her at future competitions. :)

Antilles

Medalist
I wonder what Shen&Zhao are going to do. Out of those retiring, it will be interesting to see which ones stick around for Worlds, and which ones say goodbye now.

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
I hope that the Fusar-Poli-Margaglio and Dobiz/Vanagas examples will convince some skaters to make a firm decision: either you stay if health allows you to do do it and you play it year by year, or you turn pro for GOOD!

Johar

Medalist
indiaskye1 said:
Elena Sokolova said in an interview on Eurosport that she hopes the next Olympics will be better for her ... I suppose that means she'll stick around!!!

Vanessa

I like this gal, but she seems out of shape. I honestly think she needs to get different training of some sort to get in top condition.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Sokolova should retire. I don't really care for her skating much and get rid of the bodysuit.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Coming out of retirement...

Kirkbiggestfan said:
I hope that the Fusar-Poli-Margaglio and Dobiz/Vanagas examples will convince some skaters to make a firm decision: either you stay if health allows you to do do it and you play it year by year, or you turn pro for GOOD!

I was confused by this because I thought once you retired you couldn't come back...or is that once you turn pro?

rain

Record Breaker
Johar said:
I like this gal, but she seems out of shape. I honestly think she needs to get different training of some sort to get in top condition.

If she does indeed stick around, I agree, she really needs to seriously consider some radical changes in her training. Aside from her jumps, which let her down here, she really doesn't have much of anything else. That was painfully evident in this competition. If she hopes to compete under COP she needs to get some choreography, spins and spirals help.

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
NanSinger2 said:
I was confused by this because I thought once you retired you couldn't come back...or is that once you turn pro?

As long as you don't compete in Pro events, you can come back. The pro circuit is almost dead, but Bonaly and Baiul could not come back because of this stupid rule. I would have prefered to see them over Fontana though!

rain

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
Sasha said in a couple of early morning shows she would try for Vancouver 2010 as long as her body holds up. At least she's not retiring anytime soon! I look forward to seeing her at future competitions. :)

I really hope this is true. She's one of my favs to watch.