Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Thread: Sasha

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,050
    Does anyone know if the "bonus points" (awarded for jumps landed after the two-
    minute mark) played a big role in Sasha's score?

    Seriously, I think the fact that Sasha could "come back" from two straight mistakes and finish the rest of her program strongly had a strong effect on the judges. (In 2002, after Michelle two-footed the planned 3/3 and then fell, her strong come-back from these mistakes, IMO, helped keep her on the podium)

  2. #47
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    It's not shocking at all that Sasha placed above Irina with two falls. They both landed 5 triples for starters, and secondly, Sasha's program was light years ahead of Irina's, choreographically.
    Cohen landed five triples (3Lo, 3F, 2-3Sa's, 3T), two of them in sequence (3T and 3S). Slutskaya landed four triples (3Lu, 3S, 3F, 3T).

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,616
    I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, but I just wanted to say how beautiful I thought Cohen's program was. When she first announced this program, I was like 'well, it's gonna be pretty but this is taking the easy road' or some such thought. The program, as we know, evolved over the season, with significant help from the brilliant Wilson, and both at US Nationals and the Olympics I thought this is one of the best put together programs I have seen by a woman in a long time. IMO, of course, I just think it's top rate. All of the nuances and detail plus that great Sasha delivery with stretch and extension and pointed toes...and emotion, a LOT of it I might add...were some of the elements I really enjoyed. I am very happy that Sasha recovered from the fall to deliver a big piece of this fabulous program, and really hope she can give it clean at Worlds. I just think it will go down as one of the great programs in skating history.

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    835
    How many did Suguri and Rochette land?

    My main problem is not how Cohen was graded in comparison with Slutskaya, but how Cohen's LP was marked in comparison with the LPs of Suguri and Rochette -- not only technically but artistically (natural musicality). Rochette is THE natural artist of the lot, when it comes to truly skating with and feeling the music, IMO.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Sasha was one of the few skaters who mixed difficult transitions going in and out of most of her jumps. As much as I love Fumie she just did crossovers from one end of the rink to the other. That makes the jumps easier to land. I think Cohen was fairly rewarded for what she did. I am not sure about Rochette. I would have to go back and look at her skate.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    I liked that she acknowledged she was lucky to win the silver. She even realizes what a farce it was, but was gracious enough to recognize that. I agree she is maturing greatly.
    Sasha never said it was a farce.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    She was lucky, but lucky only because only one of her competitors stepped up to the plate. Remember, it's not her fault that everyone else fell or messed up...it's only her fault that SHE fell and messed up.
    Exactly Red Dog.

    But some people will never aknowledge that their favorites messed up too. No one was really at the top of their game.

    Shiz was clean, cranked five triples, sold her program alot better than Fumie who did four triples and was flat, and she deserved to win. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    It's not shocking at all that Sasha placed above Irina with two falls. They both landed 5 triples for starters, and secondly, Sasha's program was light years ahead of Irina's, choreographically. Sasha's spiral sequence is superior and her spins are equal or better than Irina's in all but speed. When you factor in the PCS, it's easy to see how she placed above her. Also, add in the silliness of giving points for a rotated jump that isn't landed and that's why she placed over Irina. Some people feel Fumie should have placed over Irina.
    Agreed kyla2.

    We can't blame either Sasha or Irina for the way the scoring is set up under the new COP. But even under the old COP skaters have won Olympic medals in spite of falls.
    Last edited by ladysarahchatto; 03-04-2006 at 09:01 PM.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    . All of the nuances and detail plus that great Sasha delivery with stretch and extension and pointed toes...and emotion, a LOT of it I might add...were some of the elements I really enjoyed. I am very happy that Sasha recovered from the fall to deliver a big piece of this fabulous program, and really hope she can give it clean at Worlds. I just think it will go down as one of the great programs in skating history.
    I think the judges were just as impressed as some of us were with Sasha's program. I hope the other skaters are taking notice of what will be expected in the future. At least that is my hope for the future of figure skating. I want to see the stretch and a strong artistic program besides the jumps. The attention to detail is what I love about Sasha- every move is finished. Racing around the rink doing jumps to music, doesn't get it for me.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    I think the judges were just as impressed as some of us were with Sasha's program. I hope the other skaters are taking notice of what will be expected in the future. At least that is my hope for the future of figure skating. I want to see the stretch and a strong artistic program besides the jumps. The attention to detail is what I love about Sasha- every move is finished. Racing around the rink doing jumps to music, doesn't get it for me.
    I totally agree with you Peggy. You see a lot of skater copying moves that Sasha uses but they don't have great extensions or stretch. If you are going to copy copy everything.

  10. #55
    The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    I have to tell you I was very impressed with the way Sasha handled the questions after she skated. She said that she felt lucky to get any medal and that she didn't think she would even end up on the podium. She has matured into a very poised and likable young woman. I have alot of respect for Sasha for fighting back and for her poise in handling tough questions. She showed grace and dignity and was a credit to her country.
    So am I.

  11. #56
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel
    I totally agree with you Peggy. You see a lot of skater copying moves that Sasha uses but they don't have great extensions or stretch. If you are going to copy copy everything.
    And you will soon be seeing lots of the Shizuka No Hands Y Spiral very shortly. Maybe even by Sasha. One has to count: one banana two banana three banana at least.

    Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 03-01-2006 at 06:25 PM.

  12. #57
    Custom Title Ogre Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    How many did Suguri and Rochette land?
    Cohen, Suguri and Rochette all landed 5 triples.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •