Sasha | Golden Skate

Sasha

kyla2

Final Flight
I have to tell you I was very impressed with the way Sasha handled the questions after she skated. She said that she felt lucky to get any medal and that she didn't think she would even end up on the podium. She has matured into a very poised and likable young woman. I have alot of respect for Sasha for fighting back and for her poise in handling tough questions. She showed grace and dignity and was a credit to her country.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm heatbroken for her, but proud of her resolve as well. I really think she meant it when she was just happy to have silver... I think she thought she was off the podium when she finished.

rob43

On the Ice
I want her to stick around & try to put those two clean programs together. She really showed mental strength through these games & I think she's very close to having her one big moment in terms of skating lights out over two nights.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I would love Sasha to win Worlds this year. Shizuka had her moment in 2004 (and now her Olympic moment), Irina in 2005 (both with breath-taking performances)... I'm pulling for Sasha in 2006 :)

nubka

Final Flight
I really wanted to see Sasha actually getting her silver medal, but all NBC showed were the three winners standing on the podium...bummer!!

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
nubka said:
I really wanted to see Sasha actually getting her silver medal, but all NBC showed were the three winners standing on the podium...bummer!!

I know! In the past Olympics they've shown the ladies skate out, take a bow, and then mount the podium one by one. I was mildly upset they didn't do this for Shiz, Sasha, and Irina. Maybe because an American didn't win?

edited to add I did download a Russian vid from FSvids that shows the Medal Ceremony from start to finish. :)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wow!

I haven't posted in over two years, but Sasha Cohen's performance tonight brought me out of retirement, and that single performance alone has re-enforced my love for this beautiful sport.

After the two falls, I felt bad for her, but when she *became* Juliette after that, the tears just flowed.

Thank You, Sasha, for making me cry. And this from one that was never your biggest fan (my all-time favorites have always been Sonja, Oksana & Sarah), but I saw your potential a long time ago, along with everyone else, and acknowledged it & took my hat off.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. ALL the ladies tonight were wonderful! What a night of skating. And kudos to Shizuka Arakawa whom I noticed way back in 1999/2000, as back then I was worried that if she made the Japanese Olympic Team she would be a rival of Sarah Hughes for the gold, as there bodies & capabilities were similar. WOW!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm sorry for her that she didn't land the first two jumps, but I thought the rest of the program was a thing of beauty: focused on the in-betweens and the rest of the elements, and very much in tune with the music.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I'm sorry for her that she didn't land the first two jumps, but I thought the rest of the program was a thing of beauty: focused on the in-betweens and the rest of the elements, and very much in tune with the music.

I loved that high front kick Sasha did after her Salchow. That was unique and a thing of beauty. I had never seen that move before-she must have added it to her Olympic LP. I wrote this elsewhere already (not sure if I did on THIS forum lol!). I have brothers who boxed in their youth. Sasha reminded me of those boxers who go down in the first round, are up against the ropes and then come battling back like the gladiators of old. She didn't win but she didn't get knocked out for the count!

Rock on to Worlds and beyond Sasha! :rock:

I hope this gifted skater stays on at least a few more years if she stays healthy. I feel she's just hitting her stride. :thumbsup:

jesslily

Final Flight
Today show just interviewed Sasha. I love the way Sasha answered Katie's questions. She did not complain about anything, she did not use her light injury as excuse, abd she showed a little disappointment. Sasha is very honest. She really appreciate the silver medal she got.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
jesslily said:
Today show just interviewed Sasha. I love the way Sasha answered Katie's questions. She did not complain about anything, she did not use her light injury as excuse, abd she showed a little disappointment. Sasha is very honest. She really appreciate the silver medal she got.

She sure did. Very poised. I just saw her on The Early Show-similar questions. I like that she addressed the bashing-that-has-begun from low life reporters (like Christine Brennan-I could not believe her nasty report-I forget on which channel but what a b%$@! ).

Sasha said being an athlete such bashing 'comes with the territory' and she's 'used to it'.

Scott on CNN just said he was very proud of her for fighting back, and not giving up. He said not to forget to vote for the Olympic Spirit award on the USOC site. I'm going to go check it out. :)

Sasha's on ESPN now. She said she got off to a rocky start, but is proud that she was able to come back. Pretty much the same questions/answers. Oh brother-there's Brennan again. I can't STAND her. She's been introduced as 'our figure skating expert'. What BALONEY!

I forgot to add that in one of the earlier interviews Sasha said she's not ruling out competing in Vancouver in 2010. She said there's 'a good chance' if her body holds out. That's great news. She also said she loves to compete, and the process. Good for her!

Last edited:

ranjake

Final Flight
i agree with you guys....take out the two falls...and you have one of the most beautiful performances ever! she has become a very strong young woman; to be able to focus after those mistakes....the rest was breathtaking. sasha has a new fan...me!

sk8rpatty

Rinkside
I was not a Sasha fan before last night, but the way she pulled herself together after the mistakes and layed down a beautiful and inspired program has changed my mind. I also love the way she handled the interviews afterwards.

I think she has grown up a lot recently. Good for her! :clap:

~Wren~

Spectator
I have been away from skating for some time so I know things have changed, but I have to say (though I've never been a Sasha fan before), her program was beautiful! :clap:

Until her skate, I was really disappointed with EVERYONE'S programs. Again, I know with the new scoring system and requirements, choreographers have a bit of a challenge putting programs together, but it really made me long for (oh this sounds like my mom) the "old days." I was so delighted and relieved to see someone put together a program that wasn't just technically difficult, but also pleasing to watch. If she and her choreographer can do it, hopefully some of the others will figure it out soon . . . if they don't and she retires, I may just resort to watching old tapes. The "new" style of programs just doesn't do it for me . . . they don't make me want to lace up my skates and head for the rink. :frown:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Lori Nichol (on the CBC) explained the differences between Irina's program and Sasha's program. Irina's program was all punch and not much choreography where Sasha's program was filled with little moments of drama. Sasha should actually consider acting. It was really neat the way Lori explained it.

To me Sasha's skate was worthy of a gold medal, despite the falls. It was filled with drama and passion and beautiful moves.

The way Paul Martini called it, sounded like Sasha was skating with an injury that no one was fully aware of. My heart goes out to Sasha. She put on a brave face and gave it her best.

Congratulations on her sivler medal.

LBC

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
Something I've never noticed before. She is apparently sporting a Kabbalah bracelet these days. How trendy.

She's been wearing that since Nats. She said Evan Lysecek tied it on her at Nats.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
Alot of good that thing did for both of them :sheesh:

Sasha won an Olympic Silver medal and Evan pulled off an Olympian performance to pull himself up from 10th place to 4th. It seemed to work pretty good as far as I am concerned. :biggrin:

Praise the Heavens. :bow: