Irina | Golden Skate

Irina

kyla2

Final Flight
A message for Irina: Thank you for skating all year despite your illness and your mother's illness. Thank you for upping the ante and improving your spiral, spins and your jumps. You are one of the greatest women figure skaters of all time and skating has benefited from your presence in the sport. You are a true champion and anyone who loves figure skating knows how important you have been to the sport. Get some rest and hopefully we will see you at Worlds.

Vash01

Medalist
Kyla,

Thank you for starting this thread. People have a tendency to criticize an athlete after a poor showing. It helps to remember what that athlete has overcome to get there and how much he/she has achieved over the years. Irina should be very proud of her achievements, including her bronze medal in Torino. She earned it while being sick and her mother being sick. That is no small feat.

Vash

Mafke

Medalist
I would have been very happy with a Slutskaya victory (had she skated the best ). It didn't happen and I'm disappointed for her.

But she's a great champion who'll be remembered long after some olympic gold medallists are forgotten. I hope she stays around and I hope the Russian public gives her lots of love that she deserves when she returns home. If she tours in NAmerica, I'm sure that audiences will greet her as warmly and enthusiastically as they always have.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Irina like Sasha reminded me last night of the Gladiators of old. She fought back after going down once. She's got the heart of a Champion. Few could have had the success she's had, and on top of all that she has had to overcome-and is still dealing with like her beloved mother's health issues. God bless you Irina!