Was Sasha Injured? | Golden Skate

Was Sasha Injured?

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Commentators kept talking about the wrap on her leg and that she was icing it. Nicks reports that it is just part of the territory - we all have aches and pains as we get older and they're being cautiuous.....I wonder if she was injured...

I did appreciate her maturity given her skater. No blame game etc. However, I think that Sasha will go down in history as one of the best skaters who could never put it together for the big events and skate two clean programs...such a sad point as well....Hopefully, Sasha begins to enjoy the process of training and skating and can derive pleasure from not just the end result needing to be gold, but the entire process of training, competing and accepting where she is placed.

I wonder if she will retire? part of me thinks that she won't....will continue to fight but on the other hand, I wonder how much more her body can take and how much more her emotions can take.
hmmmmmm

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
dwiggin3 said:
Commentators kept talking about the wrap on her leg and that she was icing it. Nicks reports that it is just part of the territory - we all have aches and pains as we get older and they're being cautiuous.....I wonder if she was injured...

I did appreciate her maturity given her skater. No blame game etc. However, I think that Sasha will go down in history as one of the best skaters who could never put it together for the big events and skate two clean programs...such a sad point as well....Hopefully, Sasha begins to enjoy the process of training and skating and can derive pleasure from not just the end result needing to be gold, but the entire process of training, competing and accepting where she is placed.

I wonder if she will retire? part of me thinks that she won't....will continue to fight but on the other hand, I wonder how much more her body can take and how much more her emotions can take.
hmmmmmm

I posted this elsewhere but Sasha was saying on some early morning shows that she would try for Vancouver 2010 if her body holds up. She also said she loves competing.

kaesie

Rinkside
icing leg

Ballet dancers are always icing their legs, feet, limbs...

Sasha has the extraordinary stretch of a ballet dancer.

of course she needs to use ice....ask any ballet
dancer how they get through a season, not to mention
a performance.

if a skater is not stretching their entire body on each
extension then the skater wouldn't have to use ice...
and most skaters are in this category. Sasha is
the exception.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NBC & Oly Ice were both making a big deal about it, but Sasha said this morning on the Today show that she'd been skating with it wrapped for over a week so it wasn't something new that was bugging her and that wasn't the main reason she fell, it was a factor, but not the only one

I give the girl props for not just blaming and injury (she didn't say it wasn't an injury this morning, where as yesterday Nicks said it was most definitely not an injury... hmmmm)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I KNEW as soon as I saw Cohen look rattled and confused in the warm-up that it wouldn't be good. It was a matter of whether she would be able to get through it, let alone skate clean. Looks like she did.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
The % of skaters that arrive to a competition day completely pain free, rested and in peak condition is infintesimally small. Just ask gymnasts. Or runners, or skiers, etc.

All athletes compete with some pain. It's virtually impossible to compete at 100%. Something as simple as a bad night's sleep or a runny nose can take you off your game.

Sasha was not injured in the sense that NBC is touting. She was dealing with the normal aches and pains that pop up as a result of falls and training.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
Sasha was not injured in the sense that NBC is touting. She was dealing with the normal aches and pains that pop up as a result of falls and training.

Perhaps they were trying to brace themselves and play the "injury" up to make her performance seem less of a disappointment? She was having a rough day overall, and I knew she was going to fall. It was just a matter of whether she could get though the four-minute program. I seriously thought she was going to have a meltdown. She almost did during the first minute but finished strong.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
I KNEW as soon as I saw Cohen look rattled and confused in the warm-up that it wouldn't be good. It was a matter of whether she would be able to get through it, let alone skate clean. Looks like she did.
A co-worker said that she got rattled in the warmup when she missed jumps she knew she could always count on as reported on the Today show. I can't imagine the pressure all of the skaters were under.

I think the ladies competition was exciting and wonderful. Thank God our ladies at least had a competition.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she did regain her composure...but she had to fall before doing so. too little too late.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Perhaps they were trying to brace themselves and play the "injury" up to make her performance seem less of a disappointment?
Why are we second guessing her motives???
She was having a rough day overall, and I knew she was going to fall.
You should have called her and let her know that you knew she was going to fall, then she could have withdrawn instead of being called a liar and cheat.

Dee

jesslily

Final Flight
I think that it took whole a lot out of Sasha from her great short program performance. She was very tired. So she did not go to the practice the day before long program. It may not do her any good. She should go to at least one prctice. By the time to do the long, her tired body and lack of practice all only made her sluggish. So she fell on both lutz and flip.

If you wach the podiem, Arakawa has the most well-trained body. Sasha and Irina don't have.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Why are we second guessing her motives???

You should have called her and let her know that you knew she was going to fall, then she could have withdrawn instead of being called a liar and cheat.

Dee

wow...a little sensitive? dang. I just said that I saw it in her eyes...she had a look of doubt...It looked a lot like it wasn't going to be her night...

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I think the ladies competition was exciting and wonderful. Thank God our ladies at least had a competition.

Dee

Amen. To me it made up for the ho-hum fight for Silver/ Bronze in the Men's Skate.

flying camel

Medalist
She seemed to be injured since Nationals. There she did not do her Russian split and I was wondering why. Also she did not do one jump in her Gala performance.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Paul Martini and Barb Underhill both observed that Sasha looked a bit unnerved when she came on the ice for her long program and that she stayed near the boards as long as she could when her name was called. It was almost as if she did not want to start her program. Also Paul noted the bandaged leg and the fact that her coach had hidden her away from anyone's finding out. It was interesting. One would have never known from her short program skate that she had an injury.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My take on this is that she was more injured than she let on. A couple of those falls in the warmup looked like injury falls to me, as in she landed at just the right angle that her leg could not support her properly. (It was just the way she went down; it didn't look like your standard screwed-up-the-jump fall to me) And it looked to me like she was limping a bit when she got done with her long program.

I give her credit for the last half of that program, tho. She kept her composure and kept her smile on (actually, IMO, more so than she usually does) despite the early disaster. However, I still think 2nd in the long was unwarranted; I would have placed her behind Irina, Fumie, and probably Joannie as well. But that's for another thread.....

Why dwell on this? As she said to Costas: it wasn't the injury that caused the two falls, it was me. I couldn't feel my feet - or something to that effect. A very honest reply.

I'd rather dwell on the beautiful performance she gave after the falls. Not easy to do when the vision of your dream will not come true. Brava Sasha!!

Joe