So will Sasha now be ignored by the media? | Golden Skate

So will Sasha now be ignored by the media?

Johar

Medalist
I noticed there were no CNN Headlines about skating. She got a Silver, which is so wonderful! I hope talk shows don't stop inviting her because she didn't win Gold.

Aslo, I would like to see Shizuka on some talk shows, but am not sure how well her English is.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I hope not. She's a lovely skater and was very gracious and appreciative after her skate.........42

sk8m8

Final Flight
Yeah, she deserves to give the same answer Michelle did in Nagano....
"I didn't lose the gold, I won the silver"

No doubt for us fans we'll hear "why can't you pull it together for back to back programs?" questions from the media from here on...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I dunno about this one. I think reactions will be mixed. Some will appreciate her coming back strong after a setback (and winning silver), and others will come down on her for once again not being able to pull through in the clutch.

soogar

Record Breaker
Maybe if Sasha pulls herself together for a world title it will change the perception of Olympic silver. I personally think that Sasha is a tough little cookie to fight for her program after those two mistakes. Maybe she'll catch a break at worlds.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
At Worlds it will be even harder for her since she wont get the benefit judging that NBC allowed for her in Turino. I will be surprised if she holds her nerves together to win Worlds where she would have had to skate even better than she would have to win the Olympics.

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
At Worlds it will be even harder for her since she wont get the benefit judging that NBC allowed for her in Turino. I will be surprised if she holds her nerves together to win Worlds where she would have had to skate even better than she would have to win the Olympics.

Huh? What did NBC have to do with the judging? Sasha skated great and sold her program despite the two jumps. Everything was wonderful and she was rightfully rewarded.

I wouldn't be surprised if she held her nerves together at Worlds. It's not as high profile as the Olympics and she already experienced the "lifetime disappointment" at the Olympics. She'll get over it and have a new beginning at Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah, but she seems to have had some problems. I actually wonder how much of it we can attribute to Olympic nerves, and how much of it can be attributed to an injury we don't know about.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:

Im sorry, but that is full of cr*p. I mean no disrespect to you, but honestly what does NBC have to do with the judging? NOTHING. They arent the only media outlet covering the olympics... and I dont think the judges give a darn about what NBC has to say.

I'm not saying she could pull it out at worlds, or that she will even attend (I hope she does, and I hope she does). But I dont think that there is ANY tougher competition than the olympic games.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah. Maybe if it was nationals, it would be a legit concern, but it's the OLYMPICS...the WORLD is watching. NBC is only one little network out of maybe hundreds of other TV stations broadcasting the event.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

this conspiracy theory of yours is getting really old :laugh:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Sasha won't be ignored while she's an eligible skater. She loves the spotlight, and that means taking the good with the bad when it comes to the love-hate sensibilities of the media.

As for Worlds, this is Sasha's best chance to win the title. Irina and Arakawa are not going to Worlds. Mao Asado is still too young. I fear that for Sasha it's "now or never" given the talent coming up behind her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The pressure on her will be lessened, too...(since Worlds is kind of anticlimactic (sp) coming after the Olympic Games) and maybe this might lead to good things for her at this championship. But really, I think even if she messes up she'll get at least silver. Heck, she got silver even WITH the top contenders at the Olys! However, many competitors can bring stuff to World ice that they couldn't bring to Olympic ice. I think the World competition is going to be harder to win in that sense.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Calgary Worlds

Assuming Arakawa and Slutskaya do not attend, I think the potential biggest threat to Cohen is Kostner (assuming she goes). If she is not totally demoralized from her terrible skate in her home country, Caro has the basic skating and technical goods to be WC and she will be under a lot less pressure than she was in Turino. Caro will need all her 3/3s because presentation-wise she is not in Sasha's class, especially given the quality of Sasha's LP this year. The other potential dark horse is Rochette, who in spite of some mistakes finally showed her potential in Turin. Unlike Caro, she tends to skate better when performing in her home country. Fumie I think doesn't really have the ability to overtake Sasha unless Sasha has a meltdown -- Fumie's jumps are generally about equal to Sasha and she is way behind in the spins and spirals dept.

I would love to see Sasha win a World Title. Her LP this year is a strong one and championship worthy if skated well. Still, a U.S. National Title and Olympic Silver Medal are nothing to sneeze at.

With regards to the media, I have seen an equal split between criticizing her for choking again and others supporting her for not letting the program go after the early mistakes. I could see her getting some PR mileage out of this if she plays her cards right. It obviously won't be the same as if she won gold, but she potentially could do pretty well.

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:

I wondered where you were last night slutskayafan21.

Congratulations on your favorite winning Bronze.

Anyone who comes back from the brink on Olympic Ice like Sasha has guts. She'll be fine in spite of the doubters. What judging? NBC had nothing to do with the judging.

Sasha's a great athlete with or without World titles. After all she beat all but one skater at the Olympics-including Slutskaya who was thought to be a lock for gold.

Last edited:
Skate Sandee said:
Sasha won't be ignored while she's an eligible skater. She loves the spotlight, and that means taking the good with the bad when it comes to the love-hate sensibilities of the media.

Yes, I noticed Sasha seized every opportunity to grab some publicity these past two weeks.:disapp:

millie

Medalist
Sasha was on Access Hollywood tonight. She opened the show with Billy Bush. Billy interviewed he last night after the long program. Billy said that he and Sasha were almost the last ones left in the rink. They talked about her silver medal and what it meant to her. Billy talked to her about "Sasha's Special Way". While Sasha was in Torino, she spent time with children with special needs(handicapped and children with learning disabilites). Billy and Saha talked about being perfect and skating perfect. Sasha commented that when you see these special children you reallize realize life isn't perfect and she's not perfect. She told the kids that what is important is mental perservence and believe in yourself.
It thought that it was a very nice interview.