So will Sasha now be ignored by the media? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So will Sasha now be ignored by the media?

RubyNV

Rinkside
What spotlight?

Sasha will occasionally be in the spotlight, but with so few skating shows on the air these days (besides the major competitions), where will the opportunities come from? We need another revival of skating.

I can't imagine Sasha disappearing from the limelight. I think the media always call on skaters who are considered newsworthy and still in competitions. Much will depend on her decision to continue in the competitions. She's a very good skater.

They also call on skaters who have previously won medals and are still popular for their opinions. This season we have seen Kat, Kurt, Sale, Peltier, and who else of the non US Americans?

There is also the broadcasting teams of a variety of past winning skaters.

I don't think Michelle or Sasha would like to comment opinions on skaters, but they may want to act as Tech Assts

Joe

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Misplaced Gymnast said:
Yes, I noticed Sasha seized every opportunity to grab some publicity these past two weeks.:disapp:

Actually I'm referring to Sasha's own statements: "I love the spotlight, I love the cameras, I love the attention". This past 2 weeks was a unique change from her usual position with the media. I think it helped her (despite not winning the OGM). But the bottom line is that - eligible or pro - Sasha's will never shy away from the spotlight. It's what she wants - and why not?

Skate Sandee said:
Actually I'm referring to Sasha's own statements: "I love the spotlight, I love the cameras, I love the attention". This past 2 weeks was a unique change from her usual position with the media. I think it helped her (despite not winning the OGM). But the bottom line is that - eligible or pro - Sasha's will never shy away from the spotlight. It's what she wants - and why not?
Sasha loves the spotlight. That's no secret. If she feels that figure skating will no longer give her that starlike quality, I would think that she would look elsewhere. Again, these decisions are made by skaters and the best of everything for them.

Joe

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I just read over at FSU that Sasha has been selected as the Model Olympian by USOC. She isn't going to be ignored. She's a very pretty young woman & that helps. Wasn't she on some fashion design show recently? I think she is about to become Michelle's replacement by the media.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure about replacing Kwan. Kwan is still more well-known and more popular, at least now.

I also heard that she will headline the upcoming Marshall's spring event in April. Irina is also scheduled to be there.

Maybe it's a good thing sometimes when you don't win gold. I think the way she's handling things is really being appreciated given how some of the other US athletes have been acting lately.

merrywidow said:
I just read over at FSU that Sasha has been selected as the Model Olympian by USOC.
:rock: What, you mean Bode Miller and Chad Hedrick weren't selected?

Go Sasha!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
:rock: What, you mean Bode Miller and Chad Hedrick weren't selected?

Go Sasha!

Mathman! :rofl: You crack me up! (Not just this post, but several lately!) Love it!

Anyway, that's a nice honor for Sasha. I think she's handled herself extremely well after her disappointment.

As far as the meda ignoring her...I believe she's scheduled for the Tonight Show Tuesday so they're not ignoring her yet. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think she'll be ignored but I don't think she'll suddenly become this big celebrity (on the level of Kwan), either.

RD - Neither did the previous Oly winners overshadow Kwan. But, I think if Sasha hangs in there, she just may do it.

Jow

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, with Kwan on the verge of heading out, Cohen is no longer in Kwan's shadow. She now has the spotlight. She's headlining that Marshall's spring event.

A skater as good and as accomplished as Kwan will always be a celebrity. But it's the current stars that get (or should get) most of the hype.

I sort of agree with you, though. But I personally think she'll have to be a World champion and maybe even win another nats title - WITH KWAN RETIRED- in order to do it. Then again, maybe the talk of the town would be, "Is Kwan watching this event on TV? Where is she? What's she having for dinner tonight?" :laugh:

rob43

On the Ice
I think Worlds will be a diferent ball game since its 2 LPs and one short. Although they don't hold scores in theory they seem to in practice. So I think we may see a strong run by Rochette and possibly Suguri and Kostner.

My default judgement is that this is Worlds 88 all over again with everyone bringing similar performances. I hope all 3 US women enjoy the experience because if these 3, a mentally strong Czisny, a healthy Kwan, a steady Liang and a rising Katie Taylor all show up to Nationals next year- who knows which we'll be leaving of the team.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
"a healthy Kwan"? Where does she say she'll continue on??
She diddn't say she is quiting either.....you just have to wait until summer, according to her agent, she usually make her decition about the season during the summer.

And she has a set of CoP friendly programs, which she paid BIG money for the choreo, has not been skated in CoP competetion yet. You never know, she might play ear by ear again if she is health enough to skate.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I would like Michelle to rest up and then come back for one more year because we never got to see her new programs! It would give her a chance to "say goodbye" and go out on her own terms.

rob43 said:
I hope all 3 US women enjoy the experience because if these 3, a mentally strong Czisny, a healthy Kwan, a steady Liang and a rising Katie Taylor all show up to Nationals next year- who knows which we'll be leaving of the team.

Those are some pretty big ifs, Rob43.

Czisny - who knows, may be the new quad's Sasha? (nerves-wise)
Kwan - may or may not be back
Liang - has stated that she's thinking about retiring to college next year
Taylor - ?

RD - I'm never quite sure what you think of hype. Your earlier posts on hype were quite disapproving of it. You seem to believe that hype was coming from the posters of forums.

I presume you have disdain for Kwan hype but Cohen hype is expected and that's fine. You have to realize that 99 per cent of the hype comes from the media and not the skater nor the fans. there has been exceptions where Tara's family pushed the hype through the media for their daughter.

Presently, I believe EMILY is the Queen of Hype. That's a media blitz. I wouldn't hate Emily for that. And whatever hype Sasha gets, I want her to enjoy it.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think everyone contributes to hype, but yes, the press is what feeds it in the first place. Just look at Bode Miller for a prime example.

Some hype is OK but I can't stand it when it goes overboard. Doesn't matter who is being hyped.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the pressure is on or off, Cohen is always a ? in competitions.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
IMO, I think that if any skater replaces Kwan as America's Official Ice Princess it will be Tanith not Sasha...