Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So will Sasha now be ignored by the media?

Down With It
    The pressure on her will be lessened, too...(since Worlds is kind of anticlimactic (sp) coming after the Olympic Games) and maybe this might lead to good things for her at this championship. But really, I think even if she messes up she'll get at least silver. Heck, she got silver even WITH the top contenders at the Olys! However, many competitors can bring stuff to World ice that they couldn't bring to Olympic ice. I think the World competition is going to be harder to win in that sense.

Calgary Worlds

Assuming Arakawa and Slutskaya do not attend, I think the potential biggest threat to Cohen is Kostner (assuming she goes). If she is not totally demoralized from her terrible skate in her home country, Caro has the basic skating and technical goods to be WC and she will be under a lot less pressure than she was in Turino. Caro will need all her 3/3s because presentation-wise she is not in Sasha's class, especially given the quality of Sasha's LP this year. The other potential dark horse is Rochette, who in spite of some mistakes finally showed her potential in Turin. Unlike Caro, she tends to skate better when performing in her home country. Fumie I think doesn't really have the ability to overtake Sasha unless Sasha has a meltdown -- Fumie's jumps are generally about equal to Sasha and she is way behind in the spins and spirals dept.

I would love to see Sasha win a World Title. Her LP this year is a strong one and championship worthy if skated well. Still, a U.S. National Title and Olympic Silver Medal are nothing to sneeze at.

With regards to the media, I have seen an equal split between criticizing her for choking again and others supporting her for not letting the program go after the early mistakes. I could see her getting some PR mileage out of this if she plays her cards right. It obviously won't be the same as if she won gold, but she potentially could do pretty well.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-24-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    At Worlds it will be even harder for her since she wont get the benefit judging that NBC allowed for her in Turino. I will be surprised if she holds her nerves together to win Worlds where she would have had to skate even better than she would have to win the Olympics.
    I wondered where you were last night slutskayafan21.

Congratulations on your favorite winning Bronze.

Anyone who comes back from the brink on Olympic Ice like Sasha has guts. She'll be fine in spite of the doubters. What judging? NBC had nothing to do with the judging.

Sasha's a great athlete with or without World titles. After all she beat all but one skater at the Olympics-including Slutskaya who was thought to be a lock for gold.
    Last edited by ladysarahchatto; 02-24-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    Sasha won't be ignored while she's an eligible skater. She loves the spotlight, and that means taking the good with the bad when it comes to the love-hate sensibilities of the media.
    Yes, I noticed Sasha seized every opportunity to grab some publicity these past two weeks.

Custom Title
    Sasha was on Access Hollywood tonight. She opened the show with Billy Bush. Billy interviewed he last night after the long program. Billy said that he and Sasha were almost the last ones left in the rink. They talked about her silver medal and what it meant to her. Billy talked to her about "Sasha's Special Way". While Sasha was in Torino, she spent time with children with special needs(handicapped and children with learning disabilites). Billy and Saha talked about being perfect and skating perfect. Sasha commented that when you see these special children you reallize realize life isn't perfect and she's not perfect. She told the kids that what is important is mental perservence and believe in yourself.
    It thought that it was a very nice interview.

On the Ice

What spotlight?

Sasha will occasionally be in the spotlight, but with so few skating shows on the air these days (besides the major competitions), where will the opportunities come from? We need another revival of skating.

I can't imagine Sasha disappearing from the limelight. I think the media always call on skaters who are considered newsworthy and still in competitions. Much will depend on her decision to continue in the competitions. She's a very good skater.

They also call on skaters who have previously won medals and are still popular for their opinions. This season we have seen Kat, Kurt, Sale, Peltier, and who else of the non US Americans?

There is also the broadcasting teams of a variety of past winning skaters.

I don't think Michelle or Sasha would like to comment opinions on skaters, but they may want to act as Tech Assts

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced Gymnast
    Yes, I noticed Sasha seized every opportunity to grab some publicity these past two weeks.
    Actually I'm referring to Sasha's own statements: "I love the spotlight, I love the cameras, I love the attention". This past 2 weeks was a unique change from her usual position with the media. I think it helped her (despite not winning the OGM). But the bottom line is that - eligible or pro - Sasha's will never shy away from the spotlight. It's what she wants - and why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    Actually I'm referring to Sasha's own statements: "I love the spotlight, I love the cameras, I love the attention". This past 2 weeks was a unique change from her usual position with the media. I think it helped her (despite not winning the OGM). But the bottom line is that - eligible or pro - Sasha's will never shy away from the spotlight. It's what she wants - and why not?
    Sasha loves the spotlight. That's no secret. If she feels that figure skating will no longer give her that starlike quality, I would think that she would look elsewhere. Again, these decisions are made by skaters and the best of everything for them.

Joe

I just read over at FSU that Sasha has been selected as the Model Olympian by USOC. She isn't going to be ignored. She's a very pretty young woman & that helps. Wasn't she on some fashion design show recently? I think she is about to become Michelle's replacement by the media.

Down With It
    I'm not so sure about replacing Kwan. Kwan is still more well-known and more popular, at least now.

I also heard that she will headline the upcoming Marshall's spring event in April. Irina is also scheduled to be there.

Maybe it's a good thing sometimes when you don't win gold. I think the way she's handling things is really being appreciated given how some of the other US athletes have been acting lately.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    I just read over at FSU that Sasha has been selected as the Model Olympian by USOC.
    What, you mean Bode Miller and Chad Hedrick weren't selected?

Go Sasha!

Down With It
    another article:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3547824

she "gave it 100%" and has "no regrets". I believe the first one. It really looked like she dug deep inside in the last 3:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    What, you mean Bode Miller and Chad Hedrick weren't selected?

Go Sasha!
    Mathman! You crack me up! (Not just this post, but several lately!) Love it!

Anyway, that's a nice honor for Sasha. I think she's handled herself extremely well after her disappointment.

As far as the meda ignoring her...I believe she's scheduled for the Tonight Show Tuesday so they're not ignoring her yet.

Down With It
    I don't think she'll be ignored but I don't think she'll suddenly become this big celebrity (on the level of Kwan), either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast