Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So will Sasha now be ignored by the media?

RD - Neither did the previous Oly winners overshadow Kwan. But, I think if Sasha hangs in there, she just may do it.

Jow

Down With It
    Well, with Kwan on the verge of heading out, Cohen is no longer in Kwan's shadow. She now has the spotlight. She's headlining that Marshall's spring event.

A skater as good and as accomplished as Kwan will always be a celebrity. But it's the current stars that get (or should get) most of the hype.

I sort of agree with you, though. But I personally think she'll have to be a World champion and maybe even win another nats title - WITH KWAN RETIRED- in order to do it. Then again, maybe the talk of the town would be, "Is Kwan watching this event on TV? Where is she? What's she having for dinner tonight?"

Custom Title
    I think Worlds will be a diferent ball game since its 2 LPs and one short. Although they don't hold scores in theory they seem to in practice. So I think we may see a strong run by Rochette and possibly Suguri and Kostner.

My default judgement is that this is Worlds 88 all over again with everyone bringing similar performances. I hope all 3 US women enjoy the experience because if these 3, a mentally strong Czisny, a healthy Kwan, a steady Liang and a rising Katie Taylor all show up to Nationals next year- who knows which we'll be leaving of the team.

Down With It
    "a healthy Kwan"? Where does she say she'll continue on??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    "a healthy Kwan"? Where does she say she'll continue on??
    She diddn't say she is quiting either.....you just have to wait until summer, according to her agent, she usually make her decition about the season during the summer.

And she has a set of CoP friendly programs, which she paid BIG money for the choreo, has not been skated in CoP competetion yet. You never know, she might play ear by ear again if she is health enough to skate.

I would like Michelle to rest up and then come back for one more year because we never got to see her new programs! It would give her a chance to "say goodbye" and go out on her own terms.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by rob43
    I hope all 3 US women enjoy the experience because if these 3, a mentally strong Czisny, a healthy Kwan, a steady Liang and a rising Katie Taylor all show up to Nationals next year- who knows which we'll be leaving of the team.
    Those are some pretty big ifs, Rob43.

Czisny - who knows, may be the new quad's Sasha? (nerves-wise)
    Kwan - may or may not be back
    Liang - has stated that she's thinking about retiring to college next year
    Taylor - ?

RD - I'm never quite sure what you think of hype. Your earlier posts on hype were quite disapproving of it. You seem to believe that hype was coming from the posters of forums.

I presume you have disdain for Kwan hype but Cohen hype is expected and that's fine. You have to realize that 99 per cent of the hype comes from the media and not the skater nor the fans. there has been exceptions where Tara's family pushed the hype through the media for their daughter.

Presently, I believe EMILY is the Queen of Hype. That's a media blitz. I wouldn't hate Emily for that. And whatever hype Sasha gets, I want her to enjoy it.

Joe

Down With It
    I think everyone contributes to hype, but yes, the press is what feeds it in the first place. Just look at Bode Miller for a prime example.

Some hype is OK but I can't stand it when it goes overboard. Doesn't matter who is being hyped.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the pressure is on or off, Cohen is always a ? in competitions.

Shoe Diva
    IMO, I think that if any skater replaces Kwan as America's Official Ice Princess it will be Tanith not Sasha...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar
    I noticed there were no CNN Headlines about skating. She got a Silver, which is so wonderful! I hope talk shows don't stop inviting her because she didn't win Gold.

Aslo, I would like to see Shizuka on some talk shows, but am not sure how well her English is.
    I don't think she'll be ignored, her program was beautiful despite the falls.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    IMO, I think that if any skater replaces Kwan as America's Official Ice Princess it will be Tanith not Sasha...
    Tanith has certainly got the looks factor over Cohen but remember, the ladies discipline is still the most popular, so I think the "ice princess" will always be a ladies skater.

Custom Title
    I don't know about the media but Sasha's going to be on Leno tonight, and on Regis Thursday.

As to looks my younger brother likes Tanith but my nephews all think Sasha is 'hot'. It may be because she looks so much younger than Belbin lol.

I think they are both very beautiful young ladies.

Down With It
    she's definitely getting the interviews. SO the answer to this question then is NO

I'm guessing maybe she saw what happened to Kwan after Nagano, and is trying to model her. It wouldn't surprise me if she's doing this for the attention. Not to take anything away from her is she is REALLY like this, but I think most of it is just for show. I never like it when people aren't themselves. Even if one says something a little objectionable, I tend to admire them just for saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Who's the Jr American in a their Worlds? Did she win? Maybe she will inherit the unofficial "Princess" title.

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast