Cohen plans to go to World Championships | Golden Skate

Cohen plans to go to World Championships

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Watch her PCS scores go clearly down at Worlds compared to here, and she would need a clean free skate at Worlds to get even the same PCS at Worlds as she did at the Olympics. That is a gaurantee. Just as I gauranteed Joubert would get much lower PCS at the Olympics then at Europeans which were in France, and was right as well, I know the top U.S skaters except maybe Belbin/Agosto will get lower PCS at Worlds compared to the Olympics as well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
you know, I didn't even notice it at first but sounds like Arakawa is going as well! (I wish I could edit my thread title to add Arakawa's name as well...)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
you know, I didn't even notice it at first but sounds like Arakawa is going as well! (I wish I could edit my thread title to add Arakawa's name as well...)

I wonder if Irina will go, and if Michelle will request a bye to go. Asada is not eligable right?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, some people are saying that other media sources are stating that Shiz is NOT going. So there is conflicting info out there. It's confirmed for Cohen (she said it herself), but not so for Arakawa. I think the OGM is a really good accomplishment for her...she already has a world championship so she doesn't really need to go.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Irina and Shiz don't go, Cohen MAY have another shot at World gold (although she will likely get competiton from Suguri). This might be a chance to redeem herself after what must have been a disappointing Olympics (I don't care what she tries to say about it- I bet it's true).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yeah if Irina and Shiz both dont go, and Asada is not eligable(she is not eligable isnt that correct?)then Sasha will have the gold on a platter even without the inflated scoring she was gifted in Turino.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that. Suguri I believe could still beat her if she trips up.

I'm not even sure I would say she was gifted with the silver in Turin. Initially I thought Irina should have gotten the silver, but then I realized that Cohen fought through her program to the end, and Irina didn't- and that made the difference.

What WAS shocking to me is that that performance was able to win silver at these Games. That really shows how much nerves got to people here. Even the OGM performance was cautious and guarded.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
What WAS shocking to me is that that performance was able to win silver at these Games. That really shows how much nerves got to people here. Even the OGM performance was cautious and guarded.
That is true. Both Sasha and Stephane had messy LPs. In most Olympics I think they probably would have finished with bronze; in an exceptionally well skated Olympics ('98 Nagano comes to mind) they would have been off the podium. I think Olympic Pressure plus the skaters still adjusting to CoP resulted in a lot of mistakes. You saw the same thing in Albertville '92 after school figures were dropped from competition in '91.

Given that she finished 2nd at Worlds in both '04 and '05 and won the SP in both '04 and Turino, I actually think the judges want to award Cohen a World Title, similar to Slutskaya who took silver in 2000 and 2001, then won in 2002.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ogre Mage said:
That is true. Both Sasha and Stephane had messy LPs. In most Olympics I think they probably would have finished with bronze; in an exceptionally well skated Olympics ('98 Nagano comes to mind) they would have been off the podium. I think Olympic Pressure plus the skaters still adjusting to CoP resulted in a lot of mistakes. You saw the same thing in Albertville '92 after school figures were dropped from competition in '91.

Given that she finished 2nd at Worlds in both '04 and '05 and won the SP in both '04 and Turino, I actually think the judges want to award Cohen a World Title, similar to Slutskaya who took silver in 2000 and 2001, then won in 2002.

I agree the judges wanted to give Irina a World title earlier than she won one, and the same with Cohen, they have wanted to give her a World and/or Olympic title for several years now. Irina took awhile to deliver a flawless performance, and whenever she didnt one of her competitors did(Kwan-2000 and 2001 Worlds, and Hughes 2002 Olympics)and Cohen is going through the same thing.

I remember when Kwan went to the Worlds after SLC, and there were the usual fans who cried, she should not go; she should reitre, and let others experience the int'l competitions.
Do the others matter if Cohn goes to Calgary?

As for Vancouver, well.......

Joe

maruru

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Well, some people are saying that other media sources are stating that Shiz is NOT going. So there is conflicting info out there. It's confirmed for Cohen (she said it herself), but not so for Arakawa. I think the OGM is a really good accomplishment for her...she already has a world championship so she doesn't really need to go.

Actually, her tone has a bit changed. Right after the event she suggested she would retire, and she had said for quite a while she wanted to conclude her amateur career on a high note at the Olys. But now she said if she decided to go to the Worlds she might be able to perform with much less pressure on now that she'd accomplished the big thing (Japan Feds of course wants her to go I think). She also said she might be interested in skating at the Worlds 2007 (because it will be in Japan), adding that it wouldn't matter if she skated where on what status as long as she had the desire to skate, but her decision on all these things would be after she went back home. Meanwhile though she keeps saying she wants to skate in ice shows, which in Japan's context is most likely interpreted as she wanting to turn pro. Anyway we need to wait for some more to know.

Back to Sasha, I felt really bad for the two falls (though I also thought, ahh again...), but she was strong after that. Perhaps the falls releaved her of the pressure and doubts, I don't know, but she was impressive and beautiful after that. So... I just want her to win next month. As for Fumie vs. Sasha, as much as I like Fumie, I just can't believe clean Fumie can beat clean Sasha. Fumie's spins, spirals, positions are not in the same league as Sasha's (as she herself admits Fumie is not a naturally flexible body type and because of that it takes her a lot of efforts to adjust to the new system... and indeed, though her LP was good, those elements were just not there imo).

Does Irena plan to go? It is of course her decision, but I hope she doesn't... she did not look well at all, and I want her to take some rest at least for a while... health is more important.