Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Was Michelle too hasty in quitting?

I don't think Michelle based her decision to withdraw on what everyone else could do (or not do). I think she based it on her knowledge of what she could do. She knew that she couldn't do her best or a reasonable approximation of that and she wanted to do well. I also think Michelle did think of the team and I have a lot of admiration for her.

average opinionated skate fan
    I would far rather have a Michelle that knows her limits and abdicated her place to another skater than to see a repeat of the Tai & Randy debacle at the Lake Placid Olympics.

Randy, too had a severe groin injury and just COULD NOT do the requirements of an olympic long program (if you recall they were first or second going into the free skate)

Also if you remember the pain on Elvis S skate when he won his last oly silver. I believe that he said a few weeks after that his medal cost him a year of rehabilitation to get back to where he really was...yet another groin injury.

Michelle was diagnosed as having a SECOND groin injury. I just don't think it was physically possible for her to have skated.

Down With It
    Second injury? wow. Just a huge letdown for her.

Anyone know if she's planning on retiring?

On the Ice

I almost hate to say this, but....

I am someone who was a Michelle Kwan fan for many years until she seemed to get too stuck on herself due to way too much publicity and too many people fawning over her (including judges). However, after seeing what happened in the ladies' competition at the 2006 Olys, I have to say that if Michelle didn't have the groin injury, she very possibly could have gotten a medal, maybe even silver.
    Shizuka, who jumps better, still would have had gold, but Michelle could have made a really good showing, even with her usual type program, without triple-triples!!! As it turned out, there weren't many triple-triple combinations done in the competition after all! Of course, if Irina were perfectly healthy, she could have done a number of triple-triples.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    I thought Michelle should have never gone to this Olympic games in the first place. Given the fact that she was not skating much at all for the season it seemed like a long shot that she would suddenly be ready for the Olympics. I think she went purely on reputation and I hate to say this probably realized once there she was not ready and did not want to give a poor performance.

I am glad that Emily got the chance to prove her worth. I really enjoyed Emily's performances. I look forward to seeing her skate again.
    I totally agree, Ladskater.

Down With It
    Also, who knows if Kwan could have held it together this time. She could have faltered just like everyone else, too.

It must be a great comfort to Michelle knowing she has so many Internet chatters to make her decisions for her, and to help her understand when her choices are right or wrong.

Down With It
    perhaps, but it's all moot if she never listens to them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    Had she been even 90 percent fit, she could have won the gold.

Vash

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s
    I don't understand - How could Sasha have skated such a great short if she was injured? I don't think so.

Gimmie Kimmie!!
    Give me Kimberly
    Well, Michelle skated a great short in front of monotoring team the Thursday before she left for Turino. Where the USFSA officials gave the final node.

Had she not hurt herself in the first day. Her sp could've won that session easily. But LP is another story, I have no concrete info based on. Since MS had not watched her complete clean runthroughs when her LP matured.

As much as I wanted to see her programs. But I think she made the right decition. Though under much of pressures.
    Last edited by mzheng; 02-25-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Overhearing remarks such as 'She should have won'; 'Better than her sister' 'Wuzrobbed', etc. I don't think they knew who won but that didn't matter.

It was Emily, Emily, Emily, the Newyorker.

Joe
    Well, it is not that far fetched if you hear what her OGM sister had to say. That non of medalist delivered the lifetime performance, sure looks Emily did. So Emily should've won.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Hometown pride -- ain't it grand? Here in Detroit the newspapers are all over themselves claiming Shizuka as a hometown girl. (She trained here for a brief time with Richard Callaghan.)
    That may have been a brief time, but it was a year she skated with the most consistency she had shown in her career, perhaps because university was over.

There were a lot of articles in the Detroit press when she was training with Callahan, and I think Detroit may be the only city in America that did feel she was one of their own and was rooting her on in these Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    It must be a great comfort to Michelle knowing she has so many Internet chatters to make her decisions for her, and to help her understand when her choices are right or wrong.
    and how many wanted her to retire after SLC as a two time loser (although she came away with 2 Oly medals out of 2 tries)? It was no one should skate a third try. Has this concept changed?

Joe

Custom Title
    I think the once she reinjured or freshly injured a freshly healed groin- she knew there simply was too little time for her guess if she could have that miracle. But 2 recent injuries and a fresh one are just too much to ignore- and a groin injury makes half of everything impossible. if she was fully in shape and just had a strain, maybe she could have tried. But she was coming off two injuries already and admitted she neede every day, minute, second.

I think she made the right call. And I think the last 3 years of smaller back and hip injuries combined with trying to learn new positions probably just brought all the possible scenarios to a head.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    and how many wanted her to retire after SLC as a two time loser (although she came away with 2 Oly medals out of 2 tries)? It was no one should skate a third try. Has this concept changed?

Joe
    My opinion is that it's ultimately their decision, but if you try TWICE and don't get Oly Gold, it's not destined for you...it just isn't. Because the third time you'll likely be just on the edge (MK battling injuries, Irina suffering with sickness), and should you come up short the heartbreak will be more than ever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast